Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Banter

George BM

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I for one hope we get the lower end of the totals. Somebody, somewhere is facing a catastrophe if some of those rainfall amounts verify. I guess some people live in a fantasy world where they think it can rain a foot in a day in mountainous terrain and people won’t have their homes and businesses destroyed and possibly lose their life. Not cool to “hope” those things happen IMO.

This is the never-ending debate around here. Do we root for the most extreme solution or do we hope for the less exciting solution out of concern for safety? We always hear that weather's gonna weather, and no amount of hoping it does one or the other ultimately matters, so might as well root for the extreme solution. Not sure I buy that since that extreme solution could end up IMBY. Extreme weather is exciting, but it also usually results in bad sh*t happening.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This is the never-ending debate around here. Do we root for the most extreme solution or do we hope for the less exciting solution out of concern for safety? We always hear that weather's gonna weather, and no amount of hoping it does one or the other ultimately matters, so might as well root for the extreme solution. Not sure I buy that since that extreme solution could end up IMBY. Extreme weather is exciting, but it also usually results in bad sh*t happening.

Yep that's the crux of it...I think many of us here have a truly divided mind over this (like the proverbial good angel/bad angel on the shoulder, lol)

We got another inch and a half of rain yesterday at 2pm. That brings us to 40.6 inches on the year and 8.3 inches of rain for August. August here is usually very dry and very hot, day after day of 103 degrees and clear blue skies with hardly any clouds. Not so this year, lots clouds and regular rains, kind of like what we see here in May. In May, we got 16-18 inches of rain.

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yep that's the crux of it...I think many of us here have a truly divided mind over this (like the proverbial good angel/bad angel on the shoulder, lol)

I dont mind a good strong hurricane, as long as it hits, say, Miami Florida. Chasers always chase them then I get to kick back and watch the storm to my heart's content on YouTube. Bring it ON!

It really doesn't matter where a hurricane hits.  Check your homeowner insurance bills.  They will always go up regardless if you've never filed a claim.  Look what happened in 2004 and 2005.  So much widespread damage and building replacement needed created a global drywall shortage resulting in suppliers getting it from China.  And talk about a disaster that was!

• mappy unpinned this topic