• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2021 Banter

George BM

Got the new parking area done. Crew was very efficient. Tree removal, chipped, left the specified hardwood I wanted for firewood(cut to 5 ft. lengths), removed and hauled away stumps, graded, put down 6" of crushed concrete base, and #7 bluestone on top, plus had enough left to refresh the rest of my driveway. All in 6 hours.

• Like 4

And holy hell is it tropical out there. I didn't do much of anything except stand out there watching/supervising and I am worn out lol.

Now I see there is a flash flood watch for here. The soil can definitely take the rain. It is like talcum powder. Good timing if it does end up pouring. I guess I will see how well this drains and if I end up with a sinkhole or 2 under the new parking pad lol.

Some spots in the new parking area have settled where tree stumps were removed, and will need some repair. Not surprising given how powdery dry the soil was. Probably would have been better to compact the crushed concrete and let things settle a a week or so before putting the stone down. Getting a tropical deluge the day after was probably a worse case scenario lol.

46 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Some spots in the new parking area have settled where tree stumps were removed, and will need some repair. Not surprising given how powdery dry the soil was. Probably would have been better to compact the crushed concrete and let things settle a a week or so before putting the stone down. Getting a tropical deluge the day after was probably a worse case scenario lol.

FWIW, it looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Henrik Lundqvist has called it a hockey career.  Not the way he wanted to end it, but given his heart troubles and age (he's almost 40, which is ancient in hockey years), that's the right move.  He and his family plan to stay in the NYC area.

One of the best goalies who never had the chance to lift the Stanley Cup.

• Like 2

A little sad tonight because it’s our last night in Croatia, and what an absolutely beautiful country. We started in Zagreb and wound our way down to Ravinj, then inland to Rastoke and Plitvice, back to the coast in Split, Mali Ston, the Peljesač peninsula, and Dubrovnik. What a great trip it’s been, and we still have a four hour layover in Munich.  :drunk:

Thanks for bearing with the photos, and just a few more from Dubrovnik for the Game of Thrones fans.

image.jpeg.4218adcd5aa134b11d77609aa0002353.jpeg

image.jpeg.c9a5e47a82e3b6f3d6444cf0b6679856.jpeg

image.jpeg.af80019eba5d43485ce2d0396a1d098c.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Hopefully you’ll get the perfect amount of rain. Don’t want that new gravel getting too much or too little rain :P

Way too much, too fast. 3.9"

The new parking pad needs a little work lol. This is why you don't try and do it all in one day. The 'sinkholes' are where the biggest trees were, and the stumps were more substantial. Enough of a void there with the dry soil and those areas got saturated and settled. At least this exposed the weak areas in one fell swoop rather than it taking until November.

4 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Going to fedex field for the WFT game tonite - because my bengals are there. Was hoping for a little cooler feeling than it is currently. Glad kick is not until 8.

By your estimation, how many backsides are in the seats?  I'd have to think it's not an astounding number.

Taking a look over at the excitement that is the football game, the NFL needs to speed this stuff up.  I could knit a scarf during the breaks in between snaps during one single game and have it finished by the end.

(OK, it may be on a larger gauge of needle but speed things up!)

I am really hoping and praying we dont end up with a 1921-like hurricane season in central Texas. Sept 7 thru 11 that year, Austin got drowned by 15 plus inches of rain from a hurricane.

We are already approaching 40 inches of rain so far this year, in a place that usually barely ekes out 30 inches in a year.

10 hours ago, fourseasons said:

Taking a look over at the excitement that is the football game, the NFL needs to speed this stuff up.  I could knit a scarf during the breaks in between snaps during one single game and have it finished by the end.

(OK, it may be on a larger gauge of needle but speed things up!)

Just one reason why I no longer watch foozeball.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

It was maybe 1/4 full. But everyone there were diehard fans of either team and were really cool with each other. I had a great time. 

I'm happy to read everyone got along.  We need more of that in the stands at professional sporting events. 

• mappy unpinned this topic