Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Banter

George BM

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Nothing annoys me more than parents pulling out their futurecast radar when it storms at the pool… such a silly product, even if I get the appeal.

We were originally planning to do happy hour at the pool, but no reason to get all kitted out only to have the pool probably close for thunder within an hour.

And I think we’re getting some thunder now, so there you go!

We were originally planning to do happy hour at the pool, but no reason to get all kitted out only to have the pool probably close for thunder within an hour.
And I think we’re getting some thunder now, so there you go!

Yep, ruined my scheduled swim lessons today. Lose about $50 every hour the pool is closed… grr.

This is crazy though, caught a bolt seemingly 20+ miles out from the parent thunderstorm. Guess that’s why we have to close up shop. CWG says it might’ve been an error, though. b4e00eaf77f7a81dd861ea61a4049621.png
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Gonna bail soon andcg strokes are only a couple miles away and being at the highest point in town with a chain metal fence and no trees prolly not the best idea as much as I love lightning I’m a bit of a wimp about it

Everyone should be at least a bit of a wimp about it. I'm a full-on wimp, myself.

I certainly enjoy this forum and will stay and post. People like @WxWatcher007 are one of the reasons that I keep coming back. We chat off site during the year, and he's such a genuine person who loves weather and wants people to get along and share in the love for this crazy hobby...err addiction ^_^

Idk what happened to prompt this response, and I don't really want to know. All I know is that people need to act like adults and engage in civil discourse without becoming a malignant sore in the public eye. You guys are great and I really hope to land back into the sub-forum for good in the future. I'll sit out any drama and post about weather, food, sports, and the occasional sarcastic snip to liven up the candor. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled summer roasting. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kay said:

Everyone should be at least a bit of a wimp about it. I'm a full-on wimp, myself.

Scariest thing I’ve done was drive a tiny little boat for about 5-10 minutes while watching giant lightning strikes in the direction I’m going. Hope to never do that again.

Per CNN, the 7.0 magnitude quake in 2010 killed between 220,000 and 300,000 people.

This one is 7.2. We can only pray that this one is more remote or deeper or just different somehow if that’s even possible.

I pray this is not the beginning of what could be a horrible story. And yeah a TC heading that way too.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

Per CNN, the 7.0 magnitude quake in 2010 killed between 220,000 and 300,000 people.

This one is 7.2. We can only pray that this one is more remote or deeper or just different somehow if that’s even possible.

I pray this is not the beginning of what could be a horrible story. And yeah a TC heading that way too.

My SIL  lived there for 4 years before the 2010 quake as part of her job with USAID.  She is pretty upset about this because she knows all to well about how the infrastructure down there is set up and what wasn't fixed  from the last quake.  i really don't get a good feeling about this one and hope for the best. 

I know folks have discussed PWSs before, but I haven’t really thought hard about getting one and so I’ve ignored the discussion a bit.

I’m not looking to spend more than a couple hundred bucks for one, but I’d ideally get one that interfaces with Weather Underground and one which would be good for submitting obs to CoCoRaHs.

Suggestions?

Looks familiar. Nagshead mp17ish?

nailed it. vacationing just around there - house is easily within walking distance.

Pretty crazy to think that house (likely) was at some point prime beachfront property. Was probably always too close to the shore (as is the still occupied one near it on about 20ft of stilts), but pretty neat regardless.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

nailed it. vacationing just around there - house is easily within walking distance.

Pretty crazy to think that house (likely) was at some point prime beachfront property. Was probably always too close to the shore (as is the still occupied one near it on about 20ft of stilts), but pretty neat regardless

We used to stay about mile from there closer to fishheads/pier. Always loved being so close to fishheads.

The water looks even closer to house than I recall, but yeh it’s amazing how much the beach is carved out even with the beach nourishment.

I remember being down there couple years ago during kings tide and watched beach get eaten up (pic attached of like 5-7 ft cliffs) Ever since then the beach hasn’t looked the same, but always a blast. Enjoy!

AA7C1A67-8938-42D7-A0F1-FECCC3B257DF.jpeg

DBE5C6A0-4F03-4424-B1CC-494C1113A9BF.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mattie g said:

I know folks have discussed PWSs before, but I haven’t really thought hard about getting one and so I’ve ignored the discussion a bit.

I’m not looking to spend more than a couple hundred bucks for one, but I’d ideally get one that interfaces with Weather Underground and one which would be good for submitting obs to CoCoRaHs.

Suggestions?

I just recently replaced my Davis with this one. Got a recommendation from another member. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI?pd_rd_w=M3dyB&pf_rd_p=f8048a1b-0abf-4d1a-a91b-cb558d45ad96&pf_rd_r=VAJQ13R4VN016G03567G&pd_rd_r=a4834622-3da3-4c5c-b4a0-009b46951ce4&pd_rd_wg=lN0F5&pd_rd_i=B01N5TEHLI&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_46_sc

So far I like it. I like the three arm instrument set up. I am getting better wind info from this set up than I did from my Vantage Vue. You can look down in my signature and see my Weather Underground web link for it.

8 hours ago, mattie g said:

Suggestions?

CoCoRahs requires a particular rain gauge, you aren't supposed to use any of the tipping bucket or other automated gauges.  https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=store

54 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I just recently replaced my Davis with this one. Got a recommendation from another member. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WiFi-Station/dp/B01N5TEHLI?pd_rd_w=M3dyB&pf_rd_p=f8048a1b-0abf-4d1a-a91b-cb558d45ad96&pf_rd_r=VAJQ13R4VN016G03567G&pd_rd_r=a4834622-3da3-4c5c-b4a0-009b46951ce4&pd_rd_wg=lN0F5&pd_rd_i=B01N5TEHLI&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_46_sc

So far I like it. I like the three arm instrument set up. I am getting better wind info from this set up than I did from my Vantage Vue. You can look down in my signature and see my Weather Underground web link for it.

Thanks! That’s a decent price. I’ll definitely look into this one.

19 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRahs requires a particular rain gauge, you aren't supposed to use any of the tipping bucket or other automated gauges.  https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=store

Wow. I had no idea there was a specific gauge for CoCoRaHs…

17 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Can it be set to read  DP instead of %RH (as shown in the link)?

• mappy unpinned this topic