Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021 Banter

George BM

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hiked up Mt. Washington today. We got very lucky and had one of their best weather days of the year.

image.jpeg.b7f2ebd8ef181ab3c1e985f8f1bd8ec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.54d53396930f6b6da9566715c3d86a90.jpeg

image.jpeg.11e50a0206f1d9d6042ac99237b41e99.jpeg

You came all this way and didn’t visit me? RUDE. 

I know I tried burying you alive a few years back, but I thought we were past that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hiked up Mt. Washington today. We got very lucky and had one of their best weather days of the year.

image.jpeg.b7f2ebd8ef181ab3c1e985f8f1bd8ec3.jpeg

image.jpeg.54d53396930f6b6da9566715c3d86a90.jpeg

image.jpeg.11e50a0206f1d9d6042ac99237b41e99.jpeg

Absolutely resplendent! Couldnt ask for better weather, unless it was 5 degrees with thick clouds and 9 inch an hour snow rates!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mattie g said:

Our pool is really a tight-knit community. It draws mostly from our HOA (which isn't all that big), but there are families who live outside the subdivision who are part of our little family, too. Fun is the first thing we shoot for. Anything else is gravy. We're in Division 16 - we have no delusions of grandeur, even if some of the kids are incredibly talented and work really hard - so fun is first and foremost. And while I want my girls to be competitive and I would love them to be superstars(!), if that means we have to deal with some of what you mentioned, then I'd probably have to think twice about that!

And this right here is why I'm happy for you and your family...and I hope it stays this way!

16 hours ago, H2O said:

Oh man. The stuff I know about how the top few divisions act and behave. Those pools are….something. And I have had a TON of similar experiences with not just those pools but many more commenting on how my pool looks compared to theirs. We are blue collar and not frilly. Our dues reflect our people. We don’t pay thousands per year like some do. 

The climb we have had the last few years to go from div 16 to where we are now has exposed us to the flat out ugliness and snobbery the “rich” pools feel entitled to share with others they don’t see as worthy

I know you've experienced NVSL's ugly underbelly, from other convos and as evidenced here.  :(  However, on a personal note, we've visited your pool many times over the years, as competitors and guests...and ALWAYS enjoyed being there. It's always been a "comforting" and welcoming experience...which is a reflection of the PEOPLE behind the property. I sure can't say the same about some of pools we've visited in the central/western part of the county.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

And this right here is why I'm happy for you and your family...and I hope it stays this way!

I know you've experienced NVSL's ugly underbelly, from other convos and as evidenced here.  :(  However, on a personal note, we've visited your pool many times over the years, as competitors and guests...and ALWAYS enjoyed being there. It's always been a "comforting" and welcoming experience...which is a reflection of the PEOPLE behind the property. I sure can't say the same about some of pools we've visited in the central/western part of the county.

Same here!

I'm all about competition. As a competitive athlete all my life through college, I thrived on it. In fact, that's something I really miss nowadays, which is just one reason I've picked up my golfing in the last year - to be able to feel that competitive spirit, even if I'm only competing with myself! But competition and fun don't have to be mutually exclusive, which I think is lost on far too many people. And while I would love to see our team go undefeated and get promoted through the divisions, I wouldn't want that to happen at the expense of the kids having a blast while it all takes place.

As for the geographic split...given the relative ages of the neighborhoods, I would imagine you generally have newer pools with a more modern setup and amenities in central and western Fairfax County than you do with pools closer to the Beltway, particularly the eastern/southeastern portions of the county, as well in Alexandria and Arlington. There are also some of the upper-class areas in those parts of the county, so you're also dealing with a higher proportion of folks with a...certain mindset. And some folks just get uppity when they encounter any infrastructure (including pools) that just seems older and doesn't have the luxuries they're used to.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, H2O said:

Oh man. The stuff I know about how the top few divisions act and behave. Those pools are….something. And I have had a TON of similar experiences with not just those pools but many more commenting on how my pool looks compared to theirs. We are blue collar and not frilly. Our dues reflect our people. We don’t pay thousands per year like some do. 

The climb we have had the last few years to go from div 16 to where we are now has exposed us to the flat out ugliness and snobbery the “rich” pools feel entitled to share with others they don’t see as worthy

appreciate the Overlee sneak diss, assuming that was the intent. sure there are others, but that one always comes to mind. some great people go there, but that's an uppity pool.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You’re not interested in 31-degree snow that flips to 37-degree heavy rain?

I’ll say wfh has made those days much easier to tolerate lol, but yeh those days are mood killers 

I think I’m about ready to give up on the snow chasing and move to beach 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, WinterWxLuvr said:

For a truly harrowing experience you should drive up there. Did it once and I’ll never do it again.

22 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Did that 2 years ago.  It was a bit unnerving in a couple stretches.  No way I could be a passenger. 

Yep, done that a few times myself. Not any worse than say, Mt Evans road in Colorado or any other narrow pass (thinking of you Smugglers Notch) up and over a mountain. 

14 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep, done that a few times myself. Not any worse than say, Mt Evans road in Colorado or any other narrow pass (thinking of you Smugglers Notch) up and over a mountain. 

I was far more anxious driving to the Alpine visitor center in RMNP.  That stretch of Trail Ridge Rd left me a bit sweaty.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Do we have the most interesting weather, or the most trigger happy forecast office :lol:

One of the key notes for this is the marine forecasts involved and the winter products disseminated during the season. In this case, say we have a WWA out for much of the area, but it's borderline. The storm then becomes more aligned with a WSW. Well, that's a brand new VTEC code that goes out, replacing the old WWA. In a sense, you get double. Also, Sterling is more aggressive with severe warnings due to the plethora of tree damage likely with higher winds in the region. The criteria for a severe is similar everywhere, however the tree damage still verifies a warning, regardless if the winds did breach the 58mph threshold. There's a lot of variability between offices, but each office has their own feelings on issuing warnings. I think Sterling does a superb job considering the circumstance of the region they cover and always being under the microscope of DC. The most impressive out of all the offices to me is Norman with 14k+. That's a large majority of severe and flooding that make up those VTEC code usages. 

Last fun fact: Brandon Black is my good friend at KMOB in Alabama. He's a great met and awesome person. Met him at New Hire in KC a few years back. We chat a lot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I was far more anxious driving to the Alpine visitor center in RMNP.  That stretch of Trail Ridge Rd left me a bit sweaty.

I’ve done that drive also. Camped once I got over the peak and couldn’t sleep thinking about having to go back over the mountain the next morning

• Like 2

Dog days indeed!

Mornings here the fields are wet like it rained slightly.  Take the pup out for a run (Border Collies have infinite AM energy like forget solar and wind just get a platoon of 'em running on a treadmill!), chasing his nerf frisbee.  A few tumbles here and there, he's ready to come in.  And (of course) he tears through the house chasing cats like a real life Tom and Jerry cartoon.  Heads right for the bed, jumps up and tumble rolls all over the comforter.  Now it REALLY smells like DOG DAYS!

Rinse, wash repeat.  (literally)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Dog days indeed!

Mornings here the fields are wet like it rained slightly.  Take the pup out for a run (Border Collies have infinite AM energy like forget solar and wind just get a platoon of 'em running on a treadmill!), chasing his nerf frisbee.  A few tumbles here and there, he's ready to come in.  And (of course) he tears through the house chasing cats like a real life Tom and Jerry cartoon.  Heads right for the bed, jumps up and tumble rolls all over the comforter.  Now it REALLY smells like DOG DAYS!

Rinse, wash repeat.  (literally)

I've got a border collie/black lab mix...the lab mellows out the border collie energy a bit but he was still a pain in the ass as a pup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Bummer. Mine just kill wildlife :lol:

I've got two dogs--the border collie/lab mix and then some yellow dog...the yellow one came to the back door the other night with a baby rabbit hanging out of its mouth...i was sure the rabbit was dead so i put on some gloves and got a plastic bag and went out onto the deck to dispose of it...yellow dog looked so proud and when i told him to drop it he did and just sat there wagging his tail...i picked up the rabbit and it didn't move and its eyes were closed but it was still breathing...i held it for a bit more and then it kicked its back legs a little so i went and put it under our woodpile to see if it may be OK...checked it about 10 minutes later and it had buried itself into some dead leaves and it was gone the next morning so i guess it was just tharn or whatever...can't believe yellow dog didn't injure it too much...we have a guinea pig that he likes to play with so maybe that had something to do with it? 

edit: that's them below

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic