• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Disco 2021. Do record dews continue?

Damage In Tolland

15 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Used to get swimmer's ear all the time as a kid. The simple solution is to put a little isopropyl in your ears after you get out. It gets the water out and makes the environment too hostile for bacteria to take hold.

Quarry swimming is special, but sadly frowned upon more and more nowadays. A friend and I sneaked into one up around Cape Ann years ago and got ushered out by the law.

Speaking of special, I got back to Fishers yesterday and is the water is just beautiful in the Sound right now. Spent an hour just floating on the sandbar. Very few jellyfish. Neighbors were out with their kids on paddle-boards and setting up tables on their dock for a dinner party. Just a very summery scene.

Quarries are still very popular here. There’s one by my house that you need to be invited to join through a current member. Otherwise, they kick you out.  There are a bunch around here though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mreaves said:

This up the street from my house.  There are tons of old quarries in the woods around here.  Of course I live in a town called Graniteville.  I never jumped off the really big ones because I couldn't stomach the climb back up.  They've cracked down on it now but I'm sure it still goes on.

That Fatboy Slim makes that even more epic. Awesome!!

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

This up the street from my house.  There are tons of old quarries in the woods around here.  Of course I live in a town called Graniteville.  I never jumped off the really big ones because I couldn't stomach the climb back up.  They've cracked down on it now but I'm sure it still goes on.

Oh man the memories.  Westerly Granite was pink and used world wide. National cemeteries have a lot of them. The first pic is the Quarry being mined back in the late 1800s. It was taken basically across the street from my house. The iconic Westerly water tower in the back was my view. Also a pic of our diving cliff.

images.jpeg

a04e6d1f-5bfa-4c64-ad5e-c23dd5b28f0a-medium16x9_3.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You buy them on your own?

I own them now outright but used a 5 year low interest home equity loan to finance them. My monthly payment was equal or lower than my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying my utility I paid off my panels every month.  I now get approximately $2500+ a year in free electricity. I think the paperwork said my ROI is 15.6% for the next 20 years. 

If you have a good sun and plan on staying in your house its a no brainer. I wouldn't lease as it becomes a headache when you sell as the new buyer has to take over it. Its often a really bad financial deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I own them now outright but used a 5 year low interest home equity loan to finance them. My monthly payment was equal or lower than my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying my utility I paid off my panels every month.  I now get approximately $2500+ a year in free electricity. I think the paperwork said my ROI is 15.6% for the next 20 years. 

If you have a good sun and plan on staying in your house its a no brainer. I wouldn't lease as it becomes a headache when you sell as the new buyer has to take over it. Its often a really bad financial deal.

I'm only two months in, but same deal here. Panel payment replaces electric bill. We had switched to heat pumps at the same time so we never really had to suffer the high electric bill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Best investment I ever made 6 years ago. My panels reached their return on investment in 5 years.  My electric bill is just the $9.62 connection charge every month. I also use inverter heat pumps as my main source of heat as my electricity is practically free.

In most New England states the incentives are so good the payback period is around 5 years. After 5 years its basically thousands in free electricity every year. 

Screenshot_20210826-061920_Drive.jpg

What company did you go with? I’m hunting for solar asap. Please pm me details, thanks.

• Like 1

Would love to have solar at house but roof faces due E which is not good.

We have to design all new homes with solar-ready provisions which are in a nutshell 300sf roof area solely dedicated for panels.  Their also needs to be conduit run from basement up into attic to be used for running any wiring up tp panels and down to electrical panel.

46 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Quarries are still very popular here. There’s one by my house that you need to be invited to join through a current member. Otherwise, they kick you out.  There are a bunch around here though. 

i used to frequent a quarry in Rockport, it had a big crane hanging out over it. I crawled out on it to jump in the water one time, but i chickened out. It was seriously high.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm only two months in, but same deal here. Panel payment replaces electric bill. We had switched to heat pumps at the same time so we never really had to suffer the high electric bill. 

My bill 2 months ago, without solar was $420. Pool, central air, 3 kids. 2600 square foot. Solar was only up and running for 20 days and it went down to $85.00 the past month. Our average bill before solar was 230 per month our monthly solar bill is less than that and our payoff is around 8 years.

20210826_082358.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In the early 20th century, there were 18000 people working in the granite industry here, now there are 600.  I live across the street from the Rock of Ages manufacturing plant.  Barre granite is used for monuments around the world.  They still operate a large quarry up the hill from me.

Visit Rock Of Ages Granite Quarry

• Like 4

I've had solar on my house for close to ten years now. I think everyone should put it on their house, even if you don't have ideal Southern Exposure. The panels are so efficient now and the incentives are so good that even if it takes a couple extra years for them to turn a profit it will be worth it in the long run. Oh yes, and whatever you do, buy them outright, don't lease them

Just now, butterfish55 said:

I've had solar on my house for close to ten years now. I think everyone should put it on their house, even if you don't have ideal Southern Exposure. The panels are so efficient now and the incentives are so good that even if it takes a couple extra years for them to turn a profit it will be worth it in the long run. Oh yes, and whatever you do, buy them outright, don't lease them

Surrounded by trees,eastern exposure roof , on the side of a hill where the sun doesn't hit until 1000am and is behind the trees by 5pm solar was a no go for me. It is what it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, butterfish55 said:

I'm actually blown away by how how efficient they are. Even when the sun gets behind the house (I only have them on the front) the panels are still putting out some kW well into the evening.

• Like 1