• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Disco 2021. Do record dews continue?

Damage In Tolland

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, when I get out of the river on a day like today I want a few minutes of goosebumps.  Our favorite swimming hole is about a quarter of a mile hike down, so on a day like today by the time you get back up to the road you want to go swimming again. Lol

Ha bingo!  By the time I walked the dog back from our favorite little hole (it's same probably a 1/4 mile from the door) I was hot again.  A friend and I have been putting in about 800 square feet of new flooring here yesterday and today (thanks Dogecoin spring run), and even with the AC, going in and out, saw setup outside to cut/trim, carrying old carpet to the trailer to take to the dump, carrying 5 foot planks back inside.... drenched with sweat most of the day :lol:.

I like the way you phrased it, ha.  I just wanted "a few minutes of goosebumps" to feel refreshed.  Not stepping out of cold water to walk back in what feels like a south Georgia swamp.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

He’s sounding more and more like DIT as he gets older. 

Scooter Sally throws a shawl on with a 85/60 day after a dip in 75 degree water. Wrapped up and shivering like a little kid who has spent all day playing in the rain. He blames it on the kids but we know Grandma and him are complaining about the cold while the rest of the family are having a great time

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Isn't the reason for swimming in a pool is so you feel refreshed when you get out?

Yeah that's been my objective normally for going swimming.  I get if you are spending the whole day at the beach, there for 6-8 hours chilling, laying out, swimming... maybe it has it's benefits if you are going in the water multiple times for long periods of time that day.

But for the "hey lets go cool off" idea, the reason is to reset your baseline to cool IMO.  Getting out and feeling just as gross a few minutes later sort of makes it like what's the point?  Need some of that evap cooling  :lol:

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Scooter Sally throws a shawl on with a 85/60 day after a dip in 75 degree water. Wrapped up and shivering like a little kid who has spent all day playing in the rain. He blames it on the kids but we know Grandma and him are complaining about the cold while the rest of the family are having a great time

Pretty soon he’ll be going to bed at 8:00 pm and missing out on overnight weather events. 

27 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I can deal with 80°F for a low water temps but we get down in the 70's and that's to cold for me.

Raised going in 65 to 70 degree ocean water so it doesn't bother me. I like 75 degrees the best,  cools your core temp down quickly. My pool was 84 today and I was not at all refreshed when I got out. Quickly was hot in the sun. Like getting out playing some horseshoes or ping pong working up a sweat then cooling off. Today was just gross for doing anything fun or productive outside. I don't know why anyone who spends most of the day outside prefers it.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Raised going in 65 to 70 degree ocean water so it doesn't bother me. I like 75 degrees the best,  cools your core temp down quickly. My pool was 84 today and I was not at all refreshed when I got out. Quickly was hot in the sun. Like getting out playing some horseshoes or ping pong working up a sweat then cooling off. Today was just gross for doing anything fun or productive outside. I don't know why anyone who spends most of the day outside prefers it.

lol, Raised here going in 58-66 ocean water, That's where the term blue balls came into play, Much preferred the lakes for swimming .

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Pretty soon he’ll be going to bed at 8:00 pm and missing out on overnight weather events. 

Claiming March is full spring month and installing his AC April 1st.

Anyone else taking a bath with electric rates? Holy shit Eversource shoved it up our where the sun doesn't shine. Plus the humidity and rain made the need for AC drying. 

Just now, dryslot said:

lol, Raised here going in 58-66 ocean water, That's where the term blue balls came into play, Much preferred the lakes for swimming .

Loved quarries myself  Born across the street from a Granite quarry with 25 foot cliffs and cold spring water all summer. The bummer about my lake here is it gets too warm and I have to be careful for swimmers ear. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Loved quarries myself  Born across the street from a Granite quarry with 25 foot cliffs and cold spring water all summer. The bummer about my lake here is it gets too warm and I have to be careful for swimmers ear. 

And that sucks, But perfect environment for bacteria to fester with warm lake water in there.

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Claiming March is full spring month and installing his AC April 1st.

Anyone else taking a bath with electric rates? Holy shit Eversource shoved it up our where the sun doesn't shine. Plus the humidity and rain made the need for AC drying. 

2800 square foot house with central air and my bill was $207 last month. TMLP for the win

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

2800 square foot house with central air and my bill was $207 last month. TMLP for the win

That’s pretty good.  We have been running the ACs a ton this summer.  Plus the pool as needed and our house is smaller.  Window units only and our monthly bill has been around $250 with Nat Grid. 

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s pretty good.  We have been running the ACs a ton this summer.  Plus the pool as needed and our house is smaller.  Window units only and our monthly bill has been around $250 with Nat Grid. 

Nice 2100 sq ft 4 Acs 1 dehumidifier 1 pool 1 old man cooking up a storm $367 Eversource FTFL

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Solar…

Best investment I ever made 6 years ago. My panels reached their return on investment in 5 years.  My electric bill is just the $9.62 connection charge every month. I also use inverter heat pumps as my main source of heat as my electricity is practically free.

In most New England states the incentives are so good the payback period is around 5 years. After 5 years its basically thousands in free electricity every year. 

Screenshot_20210826-061920_Drive.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Loved quarries myself  Born across the street from a Granite quarry with 25 foot cliffs and cold spring water all summer. The bummer about my lake here is it gets too warm and I have to be careful for swimmers ear

Used to get swimmer's ear all the time as a kid. The simple solution is to put a little isopropyl in your ears after you get out. It gets the water out and makes the environment too hostile for bacteria to take hold.

Quarry swimming is special, but sadly frowned upon more and more nowadays. A friend and I sneaked into one up around Cape Ann years ago and got ushered out by the law.

Speaking of special, I got back to Fishers yesterday and is the water is just beautiful in the Sound right now. Spent an hour just floating on the sandbar. Very few jellyfish. Neighbors were out with their kids on paddle-boards and setting up tables on their dock for a dinner party. Just a very summery scene.

21 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Best investment I ever made 6 years ago. My panels reached their return on investment in 5 years.  My electric bill is just the $9.62 connection charge every month. I also use inverter heat pumps as my main source of heat as my electricity is practically free.

In most New England states the incentives are so good the payback period is around 5 years. After 5 years its basically thousands in free electricity every year. 

Screenshot_20210826-061920_Drive.jpg

You buy them on your own?

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Used to get swimmer's ear all the time as a kid. The simple solution is to put a little isopropyl in your ears after you get out. It gets the water out and makes the environment too hostile for bacteria to take hold.

Quarry swimming is special, but sadly frowned upon more and more nowadays. A friend and I sneaked into one up around Cape Ann years ago and got ushered out by the law.

Speaking of special, I got back to Fishers yesterday and is the water is just beautiful in the Sound right now. Spent an hour just floating on the sandbar. Very few jellyfish. Neighbors were out with their kids on paddle-boards and setting up tables on their dock for a dinner party. Just a very summery scene.

This up the street from my house.  There are tons of old quarries in the woods around here.  Of course I live in a town called Graniteville.  I never jumped off the really big ones because I couldn't stomach the climb back up.  They've cracked down on it now but I'm sure it still goes on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yea I was in Watch Hill yesterday.  Absolutely best time of year as the tourists begin their migration back to the cities and colleges. True about quarries, becoming a thing of the past. One quarry we used to swim at, what we called Paradise, with 40 to 60 foot cliff on one side, was basically reduced to nothing by a rock mining company.  Once an idyllic setting set deep in the forest,  unable for cops to get there,  reduced to a wasteland. A tree set high on the cliff had a rope swing for the most daring. Many a bruise had off that one.

• Like 1