• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Disco 2021. Do record dews continue?

Damage In Tolland

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Most people do. Obviously most people hate the high heat/humidity but most people love warm to hot. Cold does absolutely no good to anyone. And I hate the phrase "You can always put clothes on but you can only take off so much"...that is one of the most ridiculous and outlandish phrases in existence. If people weren't babies and ran to A/C everything they felt a little warm maybe they could handle a little heat. We are warm blooded...we are designed to handle warm/hot weather. 

lol…warm blooded is for handling cold weather. :weenie:

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Absolutely.  For 35 years I was organizer, note taker and report writer for these "expert review" field trips and did much of the organizing this year, but having retired at the end of last month I was relieved of the note-taking, though I'll help with the write-up.  Now I'm one of the "experts".  (Ex" = has-been; "xpert" = a drip under pressure.)  :lol:

As for the install-uninstall, we had a heat pump installed last fall to make an end of put and take.

Congratulations on retirement!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

88/68 at MVL... that's legit for 12:30pm.

I noticed the Mansfield summit is the warmest it's been all week right now so it's torching aloft.  Should easily get widespread valley 90s around here.

Currently 84.7°/64°.  My high for the year is 89.7°.  I wonder if I can top that today

45 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Most people do. Obviously most people hate the high heat/humidity but most people love warm to hot. Cold does absolutely no good to anyone. And I hate the phrase "You can always put clothes on but you can only take off so much"...that is one of the most ridiculous and outlandish phrases in existence. If people weren't babies and ran to A/C everything they felt a little warm maybe they could handle a little heat. We are warm blooded...we are designed to handle warm/hot weather. 

I love cold weather. And I know many people who love cold weather... yeah and maybe if people weren't babies and put on 8 layers of clothing when the temp drops to 40 they would be able to handle the cold....sign me up for an attic outbreak over this weather ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Opinion - which is fine.  (Although "Cold does absolutely no good to anyone" is obvious hyperbole.  Ask PF.)  I never complain about cold, though I brag occasionally.  I feel that the non-laments give me some moral standing to whine about the heat.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Opinion - which is fine.  (Although "Cold does absolutely no good to anyone" is obvious hyperbole.  Ask PF.)  I never complain about cold, though I brag occasionally.  I feel that the non-laments give me some moral standing to whine about the heat.

I love the cold.. I don't get how people like this crap. 

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

You have never obviously worked in construction or done hard labor outside 

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I was definitely at my skinniest the four summers I worked for a moving company. 6 floor walk up in Boston during July? 

No doubt, I hand dug trenches for a company in 75 summer once a week on my lifeguard days off and I always hit the hottest muggiest day of the week. But the money was twice my lifeguard pay and paid for concert tickets, weed, booze and girls lol. 

Coldest I have every been was 89 December working outside for my brother after getting laid off. On the Thames in New London,  frigging wind and cold combo has not been matched since. 

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

No doubt, I hand dug trenches for a company in 75 summer once a week on my lifeguard days off and I always hit the hottest muggiest day of the week. But the money was twice my lifeguard pay and paid for concert tickets, weed, booze and girls lol. 

Coldest I have every been was 89 December working outside for my brother after getting laid off. On the Thames in New London,  frigging wind and cold combo has not been matched since. 

Probably my hottet vigorous work was in July 1968 while framing the 2nd-story walls of a sizable (for the 60s - modest today) house.  NYC had 98/78 that day and dews were likely close to that minimum.  By 2:30 the combo of direct sun and reflected heat off the plywood deck was making us dizzy, not good when working next to a 15-foot drop onto rocks, so we bailed.  It was much hotter (150+?) next to the grill at Curtiss-Wright's summer resort the Sunday, July 3 when Central Park hit 103 and LGA 107, but I was doing less rigorous work.  The other candidate was insulating the attic of our 1st Ft. Kent house the day in May 1977 when CAR hit 96, but I was only in the (estimated) 120+ heat for 30 minutes.

For cold, the day in the Aroostook woods in Jan 1988 probably is the winner.  CAR was -9/-20 that day and reported a WCI (old scale) of -85.  When we left the Forestry building next to Portage Lake the temp was -32 and the wind wavering either side of 30.  On the Bald Mountain lot about 20 miles west of Ashland we spent the afternoon on a wind-facing hill and I doubt the temp passed -15 there, not bad for a few minutes but after 8 hours it began to sink in.  Only minor frostbite, fortunately.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Not as bad up here today. U80s to L90s and dews falling into the 60s into C NH. Pretty swampy in SE SNE and warm at HFD though…BDL shot up to 95° after this map time as well.

6A39F4E4-9433-4699-A73D-6C3A2BA69DD5.gif

68F is pretty impressive for MWN.  Isn’t the all-time max 72F?

Been a hot one for all the picnic tables.

• Like 1