• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Disco 2021. Do record dews continue?

Damage In Tolland

I haven't been completely sold on this even taking place - not as heavy as the NAM. 

The longer sermon version of this scenario would describe a situation that has morphed from a retro warm boundary,  to an actual albeit rather anachronistic sort of coastal low.

The prior renditions by the NAM weren't coastal lows - they were convective feed-back phantoms, evidenced by the fact that every cycle of the model had different foci.   However, present sat/rad and at least one global model argues for the better synoptic forcing, and the consensus with the Euro adds to that.

It's weak, but still having extraordinarily rich PWAT atmosphere. Blah blah no one'll read it anyway ... rains hugely more than a cyclone this paltry typically does.

It's all going to come down to how organized of a low pressure we get. If we get a well-organized, mature low we will see the axis of heavy rain not only shift west but encompass a larger area. If we see a weak low (with multiple lows) which is strung out...the axis of heavy rain is east and quite narrow and tied more into where the core of the LLJ traverses and strongest llvl forcing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

3K NAM all on its own with how far west it brings the rain, except maybe the 0z EURO. All other models focus the rain east of HVN.

Kind of tough to go against the Euro at this range - this intonation may not be 'meant' but it doesn't seem to respect the Euro?  It's okay, to each his own.

But the Euro, contrary to meme and music therein, is a superior guidance technology at this range so disregards at one's own risk I suppose. Doesn't mean it will be right - no. But it's a risk.

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's all going to come down to how organized of a low pressure we get. If we get a well-organized, mature low we will see the axis of heavy rain not only shift west but encompass a larger area. If we see a weak low (with multiple lows) which is strung out...the axis of heavy rain is east and quite narrow and tied more into where the core of the LLJ traverses and strongest llvl forcing. 

yeah ... tend to agree here.

I opined and was ignore myself just an hour ago, how the Euro and now-cast (sat/rad/obs..) combined seemed to argue a slightly more evolved cyclogen.

Albeit weak, ... the PWAT is exceptional.  Like ... don't need a blow torch to ignite a nitro, just a subtle match'll do the trick.  BOOM... choke rain off a butterfly fart. 

This latter metaphor is a lot of 'what this comes down to' just as well.  I mean, where it rains as a result of lopping upper bound physical PWAT amounts over weak triggers, will make people think the Canary Islands went ahead a bifurcating sending a 1500' tsunamis clear to the Berkshire 'new coast'

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah ... tend to agree here.

I opined and was ignore myself just an hour ago, how the Euro and now-cast (sat/rad/obs..) combined seemed to argue a slightly more evolved cyclogen.

Albeit weak, ... the PWAT is exceptional.  Like ... don't need a blow torch to ignite a nitro, just a subtle match'll do the trick.  BOOM... choke rain off a butterfly fart. 

This latter metaphor is a lot of 'what this comes down to' just as well.  I mean, where it rains as a result of lopping upper bound physical PWAT amounts over weak triggers, will make people think it's the Canary Islands went ahead a bifurcating sending a 1500' tsunamis clear to the Berkshire 'new coast'

IMO, it's not a matter of models being "west vs. east" it's how they are handling the evolution/development of a low pressure.

I have been wanting to slide more towards a more evolved cyclone as well. Upper-level dynamics certainly support this with plenty of upper-level divergence over the region

image.png.f0d05eebf13e34c8eda66a8a3e69e7c2.png

And you're starting to see some mid-level frontogenesis (albeit weak) present which certainly indications a strengthening cyclone 

image.png.43b866fdbaf63285bfede1e26477410e.png

mesoanalysis also has a broad low just off the Carolina coast. Nothing crazy evident on water vapor/satellite but there is definitely some circulation there and it's evident by the convective growth within that area. I think these ulvl dynamics are going to try real hard to get a more mature cyclone 

This is a really tough forecast IMO. Models are literally Stein in one area and 5" in the same area. You can't split the difference either. It either floods in a narrow area, or nothing to maybe an inch. All guidance takes this stuff to our south, off to the east during today.

• Like 1

This is super tough. Water vapor doesn't look terrible. Getting a nice defined area of convection just off the coast right around where the low center appears to be and that trough to the west, combined with the degree of ulvl divergence aloft...this could trend towards the more impressive side. Certainly can't rule out the axis of heaviest rain being as far west as HFD

image.thumb.png.0b405343b4ea9dc388c5e0e81c9ccb96.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is super tough. Water vapor doesn't look terrible. Getting a nice defined area of convection just off the coast right around where the low center appears to be and that trough to the west, combined with the degree of ulvl divergence aloft...this could trend towards the more impressive side. Certainly can't rule out the axis of heaviest rain being as far west as HFD

image.thumb.png.0b405343b4ea9dc388c5e0e81c9ccb96.png

Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg

GOES16_abi_conus_20210804_161619_band08.jpg

• Like 1