Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021

wdrag

16 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Even though temperatures started off warmer than yesterday Newark Is  90゚ at 11:00 a.m. same as yesterday.  laguardia is 88 which is 1゚ less than it's 89゚ reading at 11:00 a.m. yesterday  dew points are running about 2 to 4゚ below yesterday's readings which makes today much more tolerable

Yesterday my dew was around 80 all day, so far today around 74.  Better than yesterday, but still gross.

43 minutes ago, binbisso said:

Yes.  Not just that but too many humans on the Earth not enough forest and trees too much concrete and asphalt and big cities, tall buildings which do not allow heat to escape 

I've been preaching since the 1970's that the population increase will eventually doom the planet.  It seems the Europeans are the only ones with zero to negative population growth (not accounting for immigration).

51 minutes ago, binbisso said:

You are probably correct on the dominant pattern this year.  it just seems that Newark always runs hotter than most other sites nearby.  I'm curious to know is Newark warming faster/higher than  other sites in this sub forum?

While it may seem that way, Newark has actually had less summer warming than the rest of the forum since 1981.

89129ADD-60C0-42C0-B64E-53BC9B491CAE.thumb.jpeg.0c72ed6e0d6440b1e584776d96dfe11e.jpeg

09EF8593-6AD4-4CB8-AC04-6E47123FC643.thumb.png.ace556be609d7faa1246603290e22020.png

4CC3458B-1EAA-4614-A0E5-D500670E76A4.thumb.jpeg.4fbf7b20ec05f0c73036750a2f323209.jpeg

80C26943-B194-4616-B715-877193EF43AF.thumb.jpeg.fe7a33da65d5701c45b8617b4eb072e6.jpeg

• Like 1

Earth is nowhere near overpopulated. The issue isn’t population, just take a look at which countries spew the most greenhouse gases per capita and why/how, and also which industries are primarily responsible. The bulk of greenhouse emissions in the US come from transportation.

Cities almost universally have much lower carbon footprints (per capita) than areas outside of cities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Earth is nowhere near overpopulated. The issue isn’t population, just take a look at which countries spew the most greenhouse gases per capita and why/how, and also which industries are primarily responsible. The bulk of greenhouse emissions in the US come from transportation.

Cities almost universally have much lower carbon footprints (per capita) than areas outside of cities.

So it's a people management issue.  However, you don't want the government deciding on how to do that...

2 hours ago, dWave said:

I heard it was a crazy scene at Orchard Beach yday. That storm came through with little warning, wasnt really a period of dark skies developing first, just rapidly from fair skies to thunderstorm. Multiple lightning strikes on the sand sent ppl abandoning their belongings. Unfortunately the teenager in that group of 6 died.

Funny you say that because the same thing here yesterday. There was plenty of blue sky and sun when the lightning was flashing and the rain falling. There was one long ominous looking cloud and some darker clouds to the north. Almost reminded me what happens in Florida sometimes.

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Newark is 2° warmer than this time yesterday. 96°at 12:51 vs 94 yesterday. So Newark will probably top the high of 98° yesterday.

13 Aug 12:51 pm  96

Yeah I think they sneak in at 100

They're also running a bit above surrounding stations..shocker. LDJ is only 92 and they're 5 miles down the road

16 hours ago, lee59 said:

https://goo.gl/maps/R1GELAXm2WmeWDEBA

Found the above picture of the Central Park weather station taken in January of 2020

I posted this picture of the Central Park weather station from January of 2020. So it is fairly recent. There has been a lot of talk about the growth around where the station is located. I am just a little surprised that nobody commented on the picture. I guess it is pretty much what people expected.

Channel 7 just had the first African American that will be leading the USDA Forest Service in the United States and the big conversation was the fires out west. I was so glad to here him emphasize forest management as something that has to happen out there. He also said there have been some 4000 fires and most are quickly taken care of by the fire fighters but there are a few like the Dixie fire that get out of hand.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cfa said:

This is true. In fact I read somewhere you could squeeze the entire human population into Texas alone.

Everything you said about cities vs rural/suburbs is also true.

The fact people travel hours everyday just to get to & from work is insane and very bad for the environment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lee59 said:

I posted this picture of the Central Park weather station from January of 2020. So it is fairly recent. There has been a lot of talk about the growth around where the station is located. I am just a little surprised that nobody commented on the picture. I guess it is pretty much what people expected.

It won’t open. But the most recent summer photos in 2013 had the thermometer in the deep shade. Winter isn’t a good time for photos since the strongest cooling effect occurs after spring leaf out. The proximity of the vegetation to the thermometer violates the sitting rules for official temperature measurements. 

FFCAF9E2-B0CF-4B28-A626-8E9ADB774DBE.jpeg.125b9c3f6dfa1071778ae7ddce00549b.jpeg

1 minute ago, binbisso said:

It looks like we will not hit excessive heat warning criteria today  Mainly because dew points are 5゚ cooler than yesterday.  Highest heat index I can find in our area is 101゚ Most places between 95 and 98.

keep us posted

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1