Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021

wdrag

40 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i try to refrain from criticizing Mount Holly, because they are professionals and i am a complete doofus with a bachelor's degree in hamster breeding, but i have to say their t-storm forecasting hasn't been great this week.  and here we (probably) go again.

are the NY Mets using them?...

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i try to refrain from criticizing Mount Holly, because they are professionals and i am a complete doofus with a bachelor's degree in hamster breeding, but i have to say their t-storm forecasting hasn't been great this week.  and here we (probably) go again.

Good almost evening Will. Your services, with that degree, will be in constant demand as the protein shortages increase. As always ……

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

nyc is manhattan dude central park..

The inside of my car sitting in the sun for 2 hours is more representative of NYC and manhattan than knyc is. But i know you know this, because we seem to have the opposite convo every winter. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Didn't they say 30% chance of showers and storms?

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Didn't they say 30% chance of showers and storms?

IMBY (Piscataway) it was clear today and a 7P-2A 20% chance.

i'm just saying in general, we had 30% chances Monday and Tuesday and the resultant storms covered a much more significant swath of the area, plus they didn't extend the watches either day and IMO they probably could/should have.

when i think 30% chance i'm thinking some isolated cells or something not the kind of fairly robust MCC's we saw

High 97 till t storm raced in right now, down to 91 heavy rain, windy, lots of lightning.

Spent a week in FL and I acclimated to it so this heat kinda feels just run of the mill lol. Its never above about 92 there but dew points permanently 77 - 79 makes low 70s dewpoint feel slightly refreshing. 

1 minute ago, lee59 said:

I'm getting the outer edge of a good thunder and lightning storm.

..not coming here..

Great beach day..nice sw breeze..temp @ KFOK 84*..LAG 97*

What heat wave?..not out here on ELI....enjoying the cool Atlantic..

51 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's a park the rest of NYC isn't a park and we shouldn't be using a park for temp readings anyway, how many of the official NWS reporting sites are parks?

It has to be a park because otherwise there's risk of development like any other location in Manhattan, any thing from a pizzeria to a skyscraper next door, or a subway below, tarnishing decades of records. Maybe they keep the overgrowth as an eco-barrier to better represent the climate prior to urban sprawl, and throw out the idea of a "new norm" *shrugs*

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cerinthe Major said:

NW Nassau (Port Washington) here, very quick storm but extremely intense. Tons of lightning and wind, though not a huge amount of rain. Downed trees everywhere. My husband had to drive on someone's lawn to get home. Our power is out. It was sunny after 5 before it happened and it's sunny again now. But!

Meanwhile I don't think there were any severe warnings issued for this storm. 

3 minutes ago, Cerinthe Major said:

We didn't get a warning. We're directly across the Sound from Orchard Beach, so I suppose it was an extremely local intense event. PSEG estimates our power back on at 11:30, ugh.

That storm just brushed my area but the thunder and lightning was intense. The cloud formation was also very impressive.