Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sun July 11-Mon July 19 Pockets of FF/SVR and a modest heat wave

wdrag

21 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I forgot to ask this last week, but why is it that Elsa’s rainfall seemed so much heavier than your typical 40 dbz rainfall, 50 dbz just now in this passing storm didn’t seem nearly as heavy as the rainfall was when I was driving home from work on last thursday morning

Tropical systems typically have heavier rain than the radar would indicate. I think it’s due to the smaller raindrops in those typically although @wdrag or someone else can give a better explanation? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

Walt from where do you get the top map?

Glad you asked. So when you go into underground... and the stations come up.

My Map (ignore dewpoint-kaput and haven't taken time to fix)

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNJSUSSE11

Then it probably shows temps on the map.  You can have the settings change to overlay radar, or change the temp to the daily precip total by clicking upper right of the MAP (settings wheel).  Then... you can zoom out and look where you think bigger qpf is via your radar data source.  Then .... click View Wundermap (below the map). Now you map is clean (no weather data) and to the right is the featured data. Under featured data, click weather stations,. then scroll down to precipitation and voila...there it is. Refreshes every 5 or 10 seconds and you can move the map centroid around and zoom to show more data or less... just have to be a little patient on the refresh of the data. Let me know if that works.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Intensewind002 said:

I forgot to ask this last week, but why is it that Elsa’s rainfall seemed so much heavier than your typical 40 dbz rainfall, 50 dbz just now in this passing storm didn’t seem nearly as heavy as the rainfall was when I was driving home from work on last thursday morning

Could be related to drop size and efficiency...  heavy showers embedded within an area of light rain am pretty sure are more efficient in yield.  Also drop size in TC's tends to be smaller, yet adds up quicker.  Note that high reflectivity in our typical storms indicates ice or LARGE drops but those drops don't necessarily translate into very heavy rain, if they are spaced a bit apart. Hope that helps.  You might want to google rainfall efficiency (in tropical systems, and not?).

• Thanks 1

This thread may be about done.  MAY keep adding if heavy convection develops north of I84 this afternoon, but otherwise will post some CoCoRAHS, 24 hour rainfall, and 11-17 totals, and finally a monthly, where the daily data exists. Am pretty sure CoCoRaHs will not add incomplete dailies which is a drag, when it comes to looking at what there is (at least from what I've seen in weekly monthly checks).  For now,  have no new threads planned...looking at SVR potential late Tue or Wed but will comment in July section keeping this thread free of that small chance event). Thanks for keeping up with all of this and LI---sorry about little rain even overnight.  Your turn comes...sooner or later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the highest rainfall near NYC Metro  was 4.30 at Hillside, NJ

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNJHILLS84/table/2021-07-17/2021-07-17/daily

4.30 in

Also see a 6.11 to our west.

Station Number: NJ-HN-58  Station Name: Flemington 2.9 ESE
Observation Date 7/18/2021 7:00 AM
Submitted 7/18/2021 7:53 AM
Total Precip Amount  6.11 in.
Notes --
Taken at registered location Yes
Snow Information
New Snow Depth NA
New Snow Water Equivalent NA
Total Snow Depth NA
Total Snow Water Equivalent NA
Duration Information
Precipitation Began --
Precipitation Ended --
Heavy Precip Began --
Heavy Precip Lasted --
Duration Time Accuracy --
Additional Information
Additional Data Recorded No
Submitted 7/18/2021 7:53 AM
Flooding --

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Light rain now and a moderate thundershower as it came in. Some places nearby got luckier but generally a west of NYC event as the vast majority in the summer are. 

Haven't we seen a lot of rain this summer?  It feels like a tropical rain forest around here.  I really hate the humidity lol.  TWC did a piece on climate change and in it they said we should be keeping track of heat indices as a measure of heat rather than temperature because humidity is a component of higher heat.  They said our thirty year averages should consist of heat index rather than just temperature and that the temperatures out west were likely to rise much more due to climate change than temperatures in the east would because higher humidity and rainfall will cap out our temperatures and make them less extreme than what the west will get.  But they said if we measured our averages by heat index that will give a truer indication of the new climate rather than measuring them by temperature alone.

Going by that, JFK's record heat was 117 which we got on back to back days just a couple of years ago (actual temp was 99 but it felt like the hottest I've ever experienced here thanks to the humidity.)  What do you think of measuring heat by heat index rather than temperature?  So a hot day would be a day with a heat index of 90 and we would also keep track of 100+ days as very hot days.

This month has been unbelievable in regards to thunderstorm activity here in Beekman in Dutchess County.  We had about 4" of rain last night with non stop LOUD thunder and incredible lightning. Rivers and Streams beyond swollen, in all honesty I have had probably close to 8" of rain this month, just absolute deluge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

This month has been unbelievable in regards to thunderstorm activity here in Beekman in Dutchess County.  We had about 4" of rain last night with non stop LOUD thunder and incredible lightning. Rivers and Streams beyond swollen, in all honesty I have had probably close to 8" of rain this month, just absolute deluge.

it has been pretty badass.  yesterday was a huge overperformer, too.  maybe the best day of lightning i've seen in my entire life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1