Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22

Ji

2 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Today's LWX AFD is mentioning these record numbers for Friday:
DCA - 87 in 1975
BWI - 86 in 1989
IAD - 88 in 1989
I think we don't get anywhere close to these, but wanted to note that October 1989 led to the coldest December ever recorded. Departure of -14.6 at IAD; -13.2 at BWI. Second coldest in Balto was in 1876, (departure -11.3). 12 of the December record min temps at IAD were set in 1989. 

It snowed on thanksgiving.  89-90 maybe the most front loaded winter of the past 50 years. 

I can't entirely imagine a 2021 version of this to be nearly as interesting.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

It snowed on thanksgiving.  89-90 maybe the most front loaded winter of the past 50 years. 

I can't entirely imagine a 2021 version of this to be nearly as interesting.

Checking the front loaded 1989 at locations that just had the ultra-cold Feb 2021....Tyler, TX (e.g.) hit 97f on 10-3-89 but finished October as normal. Went on to record a very cold Christmas with lows of 9, 0, 1, & 14; from 12-22 to 12-25. Daily departure of -39 on 12-23. Monthly departure of -9.5.  Very cold for east TX.
I'm starting to think these guys selling the December-to-remember are looking better and better.

Mid West Blizzard MIGHT be a decent December/January sign for us. The last monster mid October blizzard like the one that is coming was a pre curser to the winter of 1939/40. Early blockbuster. Buried the entire East coast and Europe. I know. I am a weenie. But do some research on that setup. Then look at this October. If I am right. Expect a pretty warm November followed by the bottom dropping out in Dec/Jan. And tons of front end precip. Those who know me on here know I dont usually do long range stuff. But this October setup intrigues me. And of course I am purely guessing. Just like everyone else. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Mid West Blizzard MIGHT be a decent December/January sign for us. The last monster mid October blizzard like the one that is coming was a pre curser to the winter of 1939/40. Early blockbuster. Buried the entire East coast and Europe. I know. I am a weenie. But do some research on that setup. Then look at this October. If I am right. Expect a pretty warm November followed by the bottom dropping out in Dec/Jan. And tons of front end precip. Those who know me on here know I dont usually do long range stuff. But this October setup intrigues me. And of course I am purely guessing. Just like everyone else. 

He's correct. Mid Atlantic is going to get destroyed this winter by snow and fierce cold.

You better get your shovels NOW! Everyone is gonna be buyin them!

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Lol. We couldn’t get there for that one but made it down for the January 2017 storm and had dinner at The Crab Bag.

image.thumb.jpeg.3093ee5b5f53be1d790bb3920c56567e.jpeg

I forgot you were there for that one. I did both in Rehoboth. Fun times. I have a feeling I will be taking a trip to Canaan this winter for my snow fix.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Did I miss something?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Even if similar, won't be close to the same.  We throw around temperature comparisons without consideration of precipitation.  The mid 2001-mid 2002 year was amongst the driest on record for the mid atlantic, precip maybe 50%-60% of normal.  Nothing about the current era is remotely comparable to this.  I think it fully disqualifies this analog, although most defnitely not suggesting it couldn't still turn out similarly mild.