Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22

Ji

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Integrated Kinetic Energy (I think)? Which was ironic because I think Hurricane Ike was considered very high on this scale. :lol:

Hummm - that could be.  Regret I'm drawing a blank on the term I'm thinking about - KE is a possibility.  Whenever it came up several years, Andrew was used a a frame of reference.  Andrew was very intense (obviously) and one of the benchmarks.  However, it was relatively small as hurricanes go with the top wind field covering a relatively small area when it hit S. Miami and plowed through Homestead.  

Old Farmer's Almanac prediction actually sounds like a good Nina prediciton...cold and dry here, cold and snowy Midwest & Northeast. Folks say there's no magic formula, but of all the ENSO states...are ninas not the most predictable? I'm still waiting for someone to give me one example other than 95/96 where a Nina didn't do exactly as stated above...I don't understand why past ninas aren't reliable indicators of future ones. The other ENSO states vary--I get that--but ninas seem to be the most consistent in not getting us much snow. The 3 ninas we've had since 2016 have all behaved in a similar way (albeit last winter it was a bit warmer overall)

Looking ahead...I'd like to get another shot at it next year to see where the ENSO is...because this year might be toast--although I wouldn't be surprised if we trip into median snowfall (which I'll certainly take over a shutout) a la 2017-18. But as always the snow hole is gonna be tough to watch...but thus ninas go.

Bringing this over to this thread as well from the Banter thread.

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

A nice upgrade coming to the CMC for the upcoming fall and winter. Implementation expected early next week (9/14). Here's a bit of a summary of the findings based on reanalysis of the parallel vs the current ops. 

GDPS 7.0.0 is a major upgrade which improve significantly forecast accuracy during evaluations against the previous version GDPS 6.1.0. Most of the improvements are related to a major upgrade of the atmospheric model GEM where physical parametrizations have been revisited in an effort towards the 'unification of the model physics' at the CMC. Indeed, the GDPS and RDPS are now very similar models in terms of the model physics settings, with only minor differences in parameters sensitive to resolution. In addition, the GDPS 7.0.0 features a resolution increase in both vertical and horizontal directions. The sea ice and sea surface temperature (SST) analyses have also been significantly improved. During the two evaluation periods, improvements were seen in all upper-air and surface variables, throughout the forecast lead times but more notably for the first 120 hours with a reduction of 5 to 10 percent of the Root Mean Square Error (RMSE). Precipitation is also improved in both seasons of the final cycles across North America. Objective evaluation of tropical cyclone (TC) forecasts showed improvements in TC tracks, frequency and threat scores in GDPS-7.0.0 when compared to GDPS-6.1.0. These improvements are attributed to the major changes in the physical parametrizations of the atmospheric model, in particular the improved parametrization of convective momentum transfer in the deep convection scheme. Finally, objective scores obtained for the parallel run during spring 2019 clearly confirm the conclusion of the performance evaluation of the R and D phase for both upper air and surface evaluations, although the improvement is not as important. Indeed, spring being a transition season, evaluation results are a blend between the differences observed for the winter and summer seasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Old Farmer's Almanac prediction actually sounds like a good Nina prediciton...cold and dry here, cold and snowy Midwest & Northeast. Folks say there's no magic formula, but of all the ENSO states...are ninas not the most predictable? I'm still waiting for someone to give me one example other than 95/96 where a Nina didn't do exactly as stated above...I don't understand why past ninas aren't reliable indicators of future ones. The other ENSO states vary--I get that--but ninas seem to be the most consistent in not getting us much snow. The 3 ninas we've had since 2016 have all behaved in a similar way (albeit last winter it was a bit warmer overall)

Looking ahead...I'd like to get another shot at it next year to see where the ENSO is...because this year might be toast--although I wouldn't be surprised if we trip into median snowfall (which I'll certainly take over a shutout) a la 2017-18. But as always the snow hole is gonna be tough to watch...but thus ninas go.

Canceling winter already? Lol

Some of Larry Cosgrove's latest thoughts concerning the upcoming EPIC snow/cold Winter of 2021-2022!

At some point, another large, powerful storm like Ida or Larry is going to crack the subtropical high. I would suspect that such a feature would be derived from the African ITCZ family, with two destination threats: the islands rimming the Caribbean Sea and/or the Eastern Seaboard. Using the model ensemble packages as a guide, the last week in September and the first 20-15 days in October would be the target zone. Given the fact that we keep seeing interaction with frontal structures, rather than a "sweep out" function, I am very concerned for the area from Florida to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, back into Appalachia. All of those 1950s analogs scaled up in intensity with warmer oceanic and atmospheric regimes may prove quite bothersome for the eastern quarter of North America. 

Keep your eyes on Russia and the Arctic Circle. I am seeing a tendency for closed low or vortex formation in Siberia. If snow and cold start to pile up in that vicinity, ridging will likely follow around the North Pole. That is a negative Arctic Oscillation (-AO) signature. And if the Equatorial Moisture Axis feeding the current Mexican disturbance holds (like it did in 2007-08, any storms in the percolating jet stream along the middle latitudes is going to get juiced in a hurry.
It is too early to make a definitive call for the winter, but I will tell you this: there are many choice ingredients being mixed into the DJFM soup!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, Chris78 said:

Canceling winter already? Lol

I wouldn't say "cancel" as in a 2019-20 redux...just canceling for getting that elusive verified WSW, and the usual Nina heartbreakers northeast (Miller B city) and Midwest...and southeast, lol We could still get some good scenery snow...and eek out enough to get near median...but that's the most we get out of ninas. All else is the snowhole, typically. 

Listen I'm just going off of 2016-17 & 2017-18 where we saw this. And last year kinda the same (note the Miller B we got just the edge of). Chaos can happen, but it rarely does in a Nina, lol The other ENSO states at least have more possibilities, though the chaos makes NO guarantees.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, RIC_WX said:

First hint of color showing up around Deep Creek, a few days earlier then I remember last year.  I suppose a couple nights in the upper 40's last week and again this week are helping this along.

Just got back home after a great weekend there. Night/day weather wise vs home. Definitely noticed the first hints of color but still overwhelmingly green. 

• Like 1