Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22

Ji

15 hours ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

We won't have Moderate La Nina without -PNA. 

You can’t just decide to define a Nina differently. The point you’re making about the oddity and abnormal (non nina) behavior is very valid but by the way we define a Nina it was a Nina. This is irrelevant since we have almost none of the oddities that causes 1995/6 to behave antithetical too a canonical Nina. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You can’t just decide to define a Nina differently. The point you’re making about the oddity and abnormal (non nina) behavior is very valid but by the way we define a Nina it was a Nina. This is irrelevant since we have almost none of the oddities that causes 1995/6 to behave antithetical too a canonical Nina. 

Go out and measure Pacific equilatoral SSTs in December..

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

Like the winter of '77 when people were driving their cars on the ice @the inner harbor!  YIKE! :D

Cold but no snow.  YUCK!

Earth's gravity was weaker in those days, so cars weighed less.  Actually, I was driving a '68 VW Beetle that winter, (weight < 1800#) so maybe there's some truth there. 
I do recall looking at certain wheel tracks on the ice of the WSSC reservoir at the Rte 29 bridge. But I did not drive my car on the ice. I think it was a Chevy Vega. (Don't ask how I know.) 
Kids today don't know the fun they're missing. 

• Haha 1

I'm sure the thickness of the ice was no problem!  I remember helping my grandfather break ice around the pilings on his wharf on Stoney Creek well into April and the ice was still 4" thick!  Incredible!  I also remember hearing what sounded like thunder as far away as Parkville - outside of the beltway and it was told it was essentially calving!  I'm OK with change as in getting colder and LOVE cold as I get older BUT it gets expensive keeping the abode warm too!  May have to put in another wood stove and increase the size of the woodpile!

It doesn't work reliably in Baltimore/DC and south, but in La Nina years, ACE over 150 is almost a pre-requisite Summer trait for the big NE snowy winters. Pretty sure there are no La Ninas more than +20% or +30% for NYC/Philly snow totals since 1930 when ACE is not at least 150. I know you guys don't live up there, but if you hit 150 ACE in the Summer, you at least have a shot at a lot of Nor'easters with blocking.

The big ACE La Nina years since 1931-32 are these, in order of highest ACE:

1933, 2005, 1995, 2017, 1950, 1998, 2020, 1999, 2010, 1955, 1964.

If you use Baltimore, the 11-year average snowfall is (44.6+19.6+62.5+15.4+6.2+15.2+10.9+26.1+14.4+18.1+18.6)/11 --> 22.9, and essentially a coin flip for near-normal to snowy conditions using the 1991-2020 snow average.

1933-34, 2005-06, 1995-96, 1999-00, 1955-56, 1964-65 are all near average to snowy using the most recent 30 years. 2020-21 and 2010-11 would probably be snowy patterns too with less bad luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Is this a good thing or bad thing for snow prospects? 

It has 'some' influence on the AO/NAO state, and possible development of HL blocking. Trending negative heading into Fall and winter is considered favorable. How much of a correlation there is seems debatable from what I have read, and some forecasters don't pay much attention to it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

After last year I have a hard time getting excited about blocking lol

The glass half full view of last winter is to imagine a +AO/NAO with the Pac pattern the same. Might have seen little to no frozen for the coastal plain for the second year in a row instead of somewhat respectable median snowfall.

• Like 2