Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's one of the primary parameters that can differentiate between nada and a significant event. I thought we'd do better where we had > 7 C/km.

Lack of stronger s/w forcing probably was a big factor too. The bulk of the s/w forcing was in SE Canada...which can usually benefit NNE but it was a bit farther north into Canada. If the stronger height falls were a bit quicker I bet it would have made a difference. Just too much of a disconnect between sfc front and upper-level forcings 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Lack of stronger s/w forcing probably was a big factor too. The bulk of the s/w forcing was in SE Canada...which can usually benefit NNE but it was a bit farther north into Canada. If the stronger height falls were a bit quicker I bet it would have made a difference. Just too much of a disconnect between sfc front and upper-level forcings 

Glad I didn't fall for the wishcast enhanced today.

• Like 2

Nicest TS of the year, though in a normal thunder season it would be garden variety at best.  Some 20s gusts at the start and lightning from 4:45-5:30 PM at 10-12 flashes per minute, about 4x more frequent than anything else this year, and 6 seconds was the closest.  Then occasional showers thru midnight with 0.97" total, apparently tops for Maine cocorahs, an odd position for this site.  Still have not seen an actual bolt since last Sept and the only strikes closer than one mile were the two random hits (including the fir fracturer) last March.

• Like 1

I'm back in western ME for a few weeks, very close to Waterford. I drove around there yesterday in the midpoint of the TOR polygon looking for any signs of damage and came up empty for the most part. Chances are it's pretty localized and I just didn't run across anything. I don't know if GYX is planning a survey of the area.

3 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I'm back in western ME for a few weeks, very close to Waterford. I drove around there yesterday in the midpoint of the TOR polygon looking for any signs of damage and came up empty for the most part. Chances are it's pretty localized and I just didn't run across anything. I don't know if GYX is planning a survey of the area.

We haven't heard of any damage consistent with a tornado to warrant a survey. It was likely just a meso that wasn't surface based.