• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

Yeah it all looks pretty meh, but... The atmosphere south of the front is still surprisingly juicy and apparently getting slightly more so with time. For that matter the front itself is seemingly being held back or even actively pushed north in places by the strong LLJ.

It would be rather ironic if DIT's predictions of an active severe night come to pass after all. Not that I expect that, but given current mesoanalysis one couldn't completely rule it out either...

8 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

Yeah it all looks pretty meh, but... The atmosphere south of the front is still surprisingly juicy and apparently getting slightly more so with time. For that matter the front itself is seemingly being held back or even actively pushed north in places by the strong LLJ.

It would be rather ironic if DIT's predictions of an active severe night come to pass after all. Not that I expect that, but given current mesoanalysis one couldn't completely rule it out either...

Ship has sailed for South coast west of ct/RI border

5 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

Same for here in Springfield, what a month...

Summary

July 1, 2021 - July 31, 2021

High Low Average

Temperature 91.9 °F 55.6 °F 70.3 °F

Dew Point 80.8 °F 54.9 °F 66.6 °F

Humidity 99 % 40 % 90 %

Precipitation 18.03 In 

This is from an ambient weather station on the south side of Forest Park.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From the flash flooding the other night in Manchester, VT… that road took a beating.

F482DDAF-4C1D-4209-B6D7-BEEC4D3ABBC7.thumb.jpeg.243b9b32ae011d246028e831c8363bbf.jpeg

Yep, thats the same road I posted pics of the other night.  They have about half of it redone I heard.  Heard from long time locals the only other time it was washed out like that was Irene.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yep, thats the same road I posted pics of the other night.  They have about half of it redone I heard.  Heard from long time locals the only other time it was washed out like that was Irene.

Is there a river near it? How does that even happen?

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Normally there is a drainage that gets diverted or overwhelmed.  Culvert clogged with logs, trees, debris or just too much water… I don’t know but my bet is uphill there a small waterway just got absolutely overrun so the water looked for the next path of least resistance and went down the road, eating it up over the course of like 2-3 hours.

Flash flooding in terrain has to be one of the most powerful damaging weather phenomenon.  That stuff is crazy.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes, there is water nearby. Its kind of setup to become a disaster with heavy rains. The road is pretty steep and is right along the western slope of the Greens . I attached a couple images below of the road, where the water intersects, and waterfall. At the top of the road where it ends is actually also a waterfall with a culvert that goes under the road and the water eventually meeting up with Bromley Brooke and the Battenkill. The terrain at the top of the road goes like straight up almost from there a couple thousand feet.

So you have steep terrain with a waterfall and stream/brook flowing down the hillside and 5" in a few hours and you see what happened. It's a beautiful spot other then when a 10ft deep section of road is wiped out....

Screenshot_20210801-162446_Earth.thumb.jpg.1358c2c83efcfe81fe077b102d97190b.jpg

605431491_Screenshot_20210801-163332_USTopoMaps.thumb.jpg.82b6cd41759e72474bf55b316699acb8.jpgScreenshot_20210801-164132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.643def58082cdf447d8e40a2d35af5e6.jpg

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yes, there is water nearby. Its kind of setup to become a disaster with heavy rains. The road is pretty steep and is right along the western slope of the Greens . I attached a couple images below of the road, where the water intersects, and waterfall. At the top of the road where it ends is actually also a waterfall with a culvert that goes under the road and the water eventually meeting up with Bromley Brooke and the Battenkill. The terrain at the top of the road goes like straight up almost from there a couple thousand feet.

So you have steep terrain with a waterfall and stream/brook flowing down the hillside and 5" in a few hours and you see what happened. It's a beautiful spot other then when a 10ft deep section of road is wiped out....

Screenshot_20210801-162446_Earth.thumb.jpg.1358c2c83efcfe81fe077b102d97190b.jpg

605431491_Screenshot_20210801-163332_USTopoMaps.thumb.jpg.82b6cd41759e72474bf55b316699acb8.jpgScreenshot_20210801-164132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.643def58082cdf447d8e40a2d35af5e6.jpg

Nice that’s about what I figured.  Waterway crosses under road, gets overrun or blocked, water now goes down road as new River bed.  Looks like a great flash flood damage set up on that topo map.