Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

35 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

How is your area with OES. Seems like a decent spot?

Yeah it's not bad. The real good area is more like the southern part of town down into Norwell. That's where the terrain is a bit higher and the land/sea convergence zone is able to dump a bit more snow there. In 2015 it was just a lucky position of the cstl front just east of me in a few storms. So think of it as ocean effect moisture forced up and over the cstl front into an arctic airmass.  

I'm on a hill so although my el is like 120', it rocks in a nor'easter since I'm probably the highest point from shore on a N to NE wind. Nice view of the BOS skyline from my street too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's not bad. The real good area is more like the southern part of town down into Norwell. That's where the terrain is a bit higher and the land/sea convergence zone is able to dump a bit more snow there. In 2015 it was just a lucky position of the cstl front just east of me in a few storms. So think of it as ocean effect moisture forced up and over the cstl front into an arctic airmass.  

I'm on a hill so although my el is like 120', it rocks in a nor'easter since I'm probably the highest point from shore on a N to NE wind. Nice view of the BOS skyline from my street too.

Hingham has a huge difference in climates.  The side towards the highway gets crushed. 

7 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Hingham has a huge difference in climates.  The side towards the highway gets crushed. 

Yeah being inland helps. Even here, after the 2/1 disaster this year, I had snow. Go 1 mile down the rd closer to the water...zippo. I've seen almost no snow here, and then Rt 3 covered too. Just being 2-3 miles further inland can help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah being inland helps. Even here, after the 2/1 disaster this year, I had snow. Go 1 mile down the rd closer to the water...zippo. I've seen almost no snow here, and then Rt 3 covered too. Just being 2-3 miles further inland can help.

Up and in?

Love the snow talk in the SVR thread.  I’m here for it.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone here have any good resources on the May '85 Pennsylvania tornado outbreak? That seems like a pretty extraordinary event and I'd love to read up on it. Thanks in advance.

I can recommend a good book I read several years ago called “Tornado Watch #211”  by John G Fuller and you can buy it used on Amazon