• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Elsa Banter Thread

Latest noaa advisory discussion describes the unfavorable conditions that Elsa is up against.  In west Florida we always have to worry about tornadoes flash flooding of course ahead of storms like Elsa, but luckily I won’t feel the need to buy $80 sheets of plywood for now :-) 

The environment over the eastern Gulf of Mexico is not ideal for strengthening, with moderate westerly shear and some dry mid-level air.  However, upper-level divergence ahead of a trough over the east-central Gulf could result in some intensification of the system during the next 12-24 hours.  The official forecast continues to show the cyclone nearing hurricane strength while it approaches the north Florida Gulf coast, but this is at the high end of the numerical intensity guidance.

St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is telling residents to grow a pair  and IS NOT Ceasing Operations due to Elsa and will remain OPEN! They are leaving it up to the airlines to cancel flights. Contact your airline prior to arriving at the airport to see whether or not your flight is cancelled.

@USCG

Sector #KeyWest was alerted to people in the water 23 mi SE of KW from the M/V Western Carmen, who rescued 2 survivors. #USCGC Thetis arrived on scene & their small boat crew rescued 10 more people from the water.

Hats off to the brave men and women of the US Coast Guard. Just amazing what they do.

4 hours ago, Hotair said:

@USCG

Sector #KeyWest was alerted to people in the water 23 mi SE of KW from the M/V Western Carmen, who rescued 2 survivors. #USCGC Thetis arrived on scene & their small boat crew rescued 10 more people from the water.

Hats off to the brave men and women of the US Coast Guard. Just amazing what they do.

I spent 10 years active duty USCG. We appreciate the props. 

• Like 1

Kind of surprised that there have been no posts about Elsa in 15+ hrs.

It may no longer be a hurricane, but it is still a strong weather event that is impacting millions of people in a negative way.

For sake of discussion, are the tornados being generated typical in volume and intensity?

Also, is there any thoughts as to why Elsa has remained so persistant?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LawdogGRNJ said:

Kind of surprised that there have been no posts about Elsa in 15+ hrs.

It may no longer be a hurricane, but it is still a strong weather event that is impacting millions of people in a negative way.

For sake of discussion, are the tornados being generated typical in volume and intensity?

Also, is there any thoughts as to why Elsa has remained so persistant?

I've been catching up on work that was kind of pushed aside as it approached us. Now we survived, had our "climax", smoked a cigarette and got back to daily life. Sad to say.

Elsa was fun and exciting, but anti-climatic for sure here in the center of the cone. But will take that over and over compared to having absolutely nothing or being totally destroyed.

First time I have have been back since early yesterday morning...

1 hour ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Agnes in 1972 and hurricane Donna in 1960 are the most recent to the very best of my knowledge.  

I'd say there must be many more, but have no data on hand.

I remember Agnes very well in St Petersburg, FL. But the floods up north (VA, PA, etc.) were while it was still on land. Don't even remember a second landfall even though a historic storm.

• Like 1