Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Elsa Banter Thread

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

For banter. 

Thanks!

So here we are in the "cone" at the beginning of 4th of July weekend. It would be nice to have the weekend off, but with an important web project due at the end of next week, with some slight risk of power going out, I will do the bulk of the project this weekend "just in case".

After Irma, I had to run an extension cord from my car to my laptop on my front porch to make refunds and reschedule guests who were booked on Clearwater Beach condos for my client. The condos were without power for two weeks, their office as well. Cleanup and repairs took a couple weeks longer and one of the buildings was shut down for a couple months for repairs. (And Irma was NOT a direct hit.)

My work PC is a super-powerful Dell with two 4K monitors, so working on a laptop was a nightmare for me! But at least I could do it when the rest of team was offline totally.

Yea, PTSD, but if nothing else, if we do get Elsa come by, I can enjoy the storm or tend to our home/yard knowing some of my professional work is done. If it misses, I have a couple days without much pressure next week.

:)

• Like 1

Posting from Boca Raton. The 5pm cone moved to where we are now barely on the edge of it. Wouldn't mind a nice squally day to watch on Tuesday following the long weekend but really don't want to lose power.

It seems that being on the edge of the cone four days out means you're gonna get a direct hit, going by how things have been going lately. 

• Like 1

More:

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/07/hurricane-elsa-memes-kc1/

I haven't seen the "Frozen" movies myself.

Words to "Let the Storm Rage On" which Elsa sings:

Lyrics
The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation
And it looks like I'm the queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know
Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway
It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on
My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past
Let it go, let it go
When I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

41 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

OK, gotta get it out of my system, promise this will be all... :)

Elsa says: 

The cold never bothered me anyway....

The shear never bothered me anyway....

The land never bothered me anyway...

Any others?

Except that the cold DID bother her... remember when she couldn't get her act together in the eastern Atlantic because of the cold SSTs?  Very un-Elsa-like...

• Haha 1

I was trying to remember what storm it was late last year that knocked down a tree our backyard and left a debris mess to clean up. I couldn't remember, being an active year. But after looking determined it was Eta on November 11.

Eta was a monster for a while, but by the time it made it to Florida it was a Tropical Storm. We had 7 inches of rain, a couple hours of TS winds and gusts to 60 mph.

That's not unusual for the Tampa Bay area during storm season, but funny how quickly I forgot the name of the storm.

That said, even a little ol' Tropical Storm can disrupt normal every day activities and have some unexpected costs.

https://twitter.com/CHawleyFOX13/status/1326685864114655233?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1326685864114655233|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tampabay.com%2Fhurricane%2F2020%2F11%2F11%2Flive-updates-florida-in-path-of-category-1-hurricane-eta%2F

4 hours ago, Prospero said:

I was trying to remember what storm it was late last year that knocked down a tree our backyard and left a debris mess to clean up. I couldn't remember, being an active year. But after looking determined it was Eta on November 11.

Eta was a monster for a while, but by the time it made it to Florida it was a Tropical Storm. We had 7 inches of rain, a couple hours of TS winds and gusts to 60 mph.

That's not unusual for the Tampa Bay area during storm season, but funny how quickly I forgot the name of the storm.

That said, even a little ol' Tropical Storm can disrupt normal every day activities and have some unexpected costs.

https://twitter.com/CHawleyFOX13/status/1326685864114655233?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1326685864114655233|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tampabay.com%2Fhurricane%2F2020%2F11%2F11%2Flive-updates-florida-in-path-of-category-1-hurricane-eta%2F

Eta was an over performer especially for November 

more damage from eta than in any of the storms in the previous 5 years combined 

1 hour ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Eta was an over performer especially for November 

more damage from eta than in any of the storms in the previous 5 years combined 

Eta did bring the highest storm surge I've seen since I've been in Gulfport (2006). But we've had several storms with more damaging winds and TS Debbie takes the cake for rain at 16 inches. It had a respectable storm surge with strong winds as well and was the highest surge until Eta. Nestor was high too.

I was in Hillsborough County for Charlie, Frances, and Jeane. All three took down trees and caused a lot of damage and knocked out power, Jeane for a couple weeks where I lived.

We had one band from Hurricane Hermine and I was in Clearwater Beach trying to get home to Gulfport. For about 30 minutes I was thinking I was going to be washed off the bridge and swept away into the Inter-coastal Waterway. Driving down Alt 19 the wind was intense and I could barely see. But it passed and I made it home to see a broken oak tree resting on our house.

Irma was the worst though. Yet there were several other Tropical Storms that had us on our toes for a while, too many to mention or try to remember without looking at photos or receipts for repairs.

9 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Do storms usually get that large burst in the evenings? I remember something similar happening with a storm last year.

There is something called "diurnal convection". The following is a quote from Google search:

"Since water has a much greater heat capacity than air aloft, during night the upper atmosphere cools much quicker than the ocean surface. This creates a larger vertical difference in temperature in a given air parcel vs. daytime and thus more favorable conditions for deep convection."

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Prospero said:

There is something called "diurnal convection". The following is a quote from Google search:

"Since water has a much greater heat capacity than air aloft, during night the upper atmosphere cools much quicker than the ocean surface. This creates a larger vertical difference in temperature in a given air parcel vs. daytime and thus more favorable conditions for deep convection."

Thanks. Thought it might have been the same thing.

What makes me a total weather nerd:

1. Been in the five day cone for what feels like 10 days
  2. Models of different intensities have been over my house for what feels like over a month
  3. I've searched at least 20 pages of Google search results for any historic or interesting "Elsa" names, songs, or characters (Frozen 2 and Born Free are all that come up)
  4. Everybody is out partying or being with friends and family on 4th of July eve, and I'm going from sats, models, reports, and this forum over and over and over waiting for anything new
  5. My wife is watching TV asking what in the world am I doing.
    "Adult chat?"
    "No not at all, Met Storm chat."
  6. I wake up at night and grab my phone to see the latest sats, reports, and this forum...

Yet I am happy as can be. :)

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, cptcatz said:

Except that the cold DID bother her... remember when she couldn't get her act together in the eastern Atlantic because of the cold SSTs?  Very un-Elsa-like...

right... and the shear is not helping either. A TC is a TC, mostly.

Remember Wilma? Lots of good fodder for that one, and it was actually pretty consequential.  Hurricane Barney, on the other hand, probably not so much.

Could Elsa become another Charlie?
Charley was already well-organized and made landfall as a hurricane in Cuba. Elsa, though convectively active, is still yet to put itself in a position to intensify rapidly. Now could that occur? Sure. But it needs to be developed to really take advantage of diffluence. Otherwise, it's high end TS to minimal hurricane at best. I don't think this will be a Charley. Too much against it.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Ozone. Smells like chlorine.

Right after a bad storm.

32 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Kinda like Chlorine, but also somewhat Fruity? Kind of a weird smell that I can’t describe well.

Wow! Had no idea ozone was something you could actually smell! Is it only after tropical systems?

41 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wow! Had no idea ozone was something you could actually smell! Is it only after tropical systems?

I think you can smell it if you’ve ever turned on one of those Plasma Globes, or sometimes if you can put on a really staticy sweater even.

• Like 1

Elsa is experiencing so much shear to its West that it’s becoming little more than an average thunderstorm.  If anything, it’s the perfect warm up storm for South West Florida for what could well be another active hurricane season.  Hopefully roofs and structures that are borderline will get much needed attention once Elsa passes through and dumps on the region.