• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Observations

yotaman

A severe storm just rolled through Boca Raton. Got a severe thunderstorm warning with a mention of a tornado threat but no specific tornado warning/watch. Even so, I just recorded these videos over my house of cloud rotation. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

First severe threat In a while, primarily for hail

RAH_swody1.png

Ugh.  There is my most disliked NWS map.  If you took those words and did this….

Enhanced

Moderate

Slight

High

Marginal

….and told people in the general public to rank the words from least to most likely I guarantee that less than 50% would get them correct or rather in the same order as the NWS.  Personally I am not convinced myself the moderate is greater than enhanced. Marginal and slight would also generate confusion. 

IMO, since the primary mission of the NWS is to get out important and accurate weather information to the general public these rankings fail miserably.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jburns said:

Ugh.  There is my most disliked NWS map.  If you took those words and did this….

Enhanced

Moderate

Slight

High

Marginal

….and told people in the general public to rank the words from least to most likely I guarantee that less than 50% would get them correct or rather in the same order as the NWS.  Personally I am not convinced myself the moderate is greater than enhanced. Marginal and slight would also generate confusion. 

IMO, since the primary mission of the NWS is to get out important and accurate weather information to the general public these rankings fail miserably.

Yeah, moderate as a 4/5 on the scale makes no sense. Moderate has always been a significant severe threat, despite the connotation of the word, and even when they only had three categories was probably a poor choice for communicating threat level to the public. So when they forced in a category between slight and moderate they had to choose something that meant "relatively significant", which sounds more severe than "moderate". But in a perfect world this would make more sense:

Minimal (green)

Slight (yellow)

Moderate (orange)

High (red)

Extreme (magenta)

In reality this would be super confusing to everyone to make a switch, so I kinda feel like they should just refer to the color or number as a threat level.

Currently 89.4. Made it to 92.1 before some clouds moved in. Sultry dew point of 75.2 is leading to a miserable heat index of 99.9. 

Where this 60% chance of rain coming from? I see nothing remotely close to triangle area. Another week without rain if we miss out tonight. Just very fortunate our rains we have had have been substantial bc they haven’t been consistent at all 

At 9am this morning we had a temp of 80 with a dew point of 78. Felt absolutely miserable out and it got worse. Had a brief shower before noon that dropped .03" and the dew point shot up to 81 where it stayed as the temp climbed to 89. So sultry out there today. At 9 pm it was still 81/77. Watching the storms to our north to see if they make it down this far.

8 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Picked up 0.14” early this morning. MTD 6.54” 

Edit: some ridiculous radar estimates from near Dunn and Princeton last night. 6-7.5” and a continuing aerial flood warning. Wow

Not picking on you but I see this a lot and I’m not sure why.  The word should be “areal” flood warning not aerial.  Said the same but two different meanings. I’m guessing that the misspelling comes from broadcast weather media since the word aerial is much more common than areal.  Aerial means happening in the air and areal means occurring over an area.

https://imgpile.com/images/NHlX7L.gif

i've finally found a hosting option for downloaded loops from the College of Dupage suite :)  This depicts the most recent several hours of INVEST 90 (July 2021)  The thunderstorms that appear along the far southeast coast were uniquely satisfying to experience in the early morning hours, going in and out of sleep, due to the lightning and thunder off to the east! 

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic