Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Observations

yotaman

2 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

I had a cell that looked promising pop up this afternoon.  As expected, it fizzled out.  LOL.

Short-range, medium-range, and long-range all look terrible.  It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t slip into the next drought category by next week.

I may have spoken too soon. Outflow boundary screaming in from the south looks to deliver

21 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

We’ll, we almost hit it. Got skirted to the point you could hear the rain. Also a ton of thunder. Did rain for about 15 minutes but was only able to barely dampen the road. Not measurable, just a TR. Temp did drop from a high of 90.8 to 79.3

We got shut out yesterday. Ever so close to us to my east but cant win every time. Skies looked dark and ominous though. The temps did drop some though after that line moved NNE. But still ever so humid

Stations to the east of me are already at 4” to 5” of rain over the past couple of hours.  And 0.00” IMBY of course.  I’ve had 0.37” of rain in 12 days.

RAH has reduced my chance of thunderstorms this evening, so if what’s out there now misses me, I’m toast as far as needed rain is concerned.  I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.  It’s now possible to have a one square mile micro-drought over a couple of months while everyone around you is banking the rain.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

Stations to the east of me are already at 4” to 5” of rain over the past couple of hours.  And 0.00” IMBY of course.  I’ve had 0.37” of rain in 12 days.

RAH has reduced my chance of thunderstorms this evening, so if what’s out there now misses me, I’m toast as far as needed rain is concerned.  I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.  It’s now possible to have a one square mile micro-drought over a couple of months while everyone around you is banking the rain.

Based on your home location from that image, I’d say you’re about to get hit pretty good

16 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Based on your home location from that image, I’d say you’re about to get hit pretty good

I’m hopeful.  Haha!  That same cell weakened in Forsyth, split into two, and then filled in and strengthened as it arrived in Guilford.  It’s not huge, but it might pack a punch.  I’m not picky.

Edit:  Crap.  Cell weakened and shifted southward.  I’ll be lucky to get the sidewalk moist.

Edit 2:  Radar return above me looks great.  Yet not a single drop has fallen.  :D

26 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

A whopping 0.09” from that cell.

I’m building an ark.  :wacko:

Better than me here, only picked up a T. Two different cells right towards me and one died that gave me a T and the other was beeling right for me then did a hard right and stayed south of I 40

56 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Better than me here, only picked up a T. Two different cells right towards me and one died that gave me a T and the other was beeling right for me then did a hard right and stayed south of I 40

I’m sure you’ll end up with more than 0.09” this evening.  I just can’t win lately.  Storms are going to skirt you sometimes, but I’ve never seen a losing streak like this.  Cell after cell.  Storm after storm.  I only get a good rain when everyone does.

20 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I’m sure you’ll end up with more than 0.09” this evening.  I just can’t win lately.  Storms are going to skirt you sometimes, but I’ve never seen a losing streak like this.  Cell after cell.  Storm after storm.  I only get a good rain when everyone does.

Meh  radar doesnt look good for here.  I cant complain though sitting at 5.55 MTD

I got 1.62” of rain this afternoon but that wasn’t the main ingredient. I knew the atmosphere was loaded when the first lightning ground strikes and thunder occurred under sunny blue skies with the dark clouds well to the north.  For the next three hours lightning and thunder terrorized my dogs striking all around my house. Every time I thought it was finally moving away to the SE strikes would again begin to my NW and slowly move over me again. Power went on and off three times. Surprisingly no wind at all to speak of. All in all one of the more enjoyable storms in quite a few years.

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

Well, you’re not alone. It’s rained 3 days in a row here all for 15+ min (currently raining and has been for an hour) and our grand total after 3 days is 0.02”… Now we are sitting at 5.73” for the month so I can’t complain. Definitely sucks when you love interesting weather and it seems to skirt you in every possible manner multiple days in a row 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

According to the latest drought monitor, abnormally dry conditions receded along the NC and SC coastal plains and the eastern piedmont, but persist in the western piedmont, foothills, and a sliver of the upstate.

One thing about summertime storm patterns, and something you noted recently, is even when regional droughts or dry periods subside, rarely without a widespread rain (usually a tropical system) are all areas equal within that region. So localized droughts can develop and persist while regionally it appears to be getting better. Last year my farm in Franklin county was in one of those holes. We had a 7 week stretch where my farm picked up 0.27” of rain total. We lost most of our soybean crop and our tobacco was severely stunted. This while areas such as rolesville and spring hope (both within 10 minutes) seemed to get thunderstorms every day. Even the airport which is about a mile from my observing site had a couple inches of rain, mostly from two storms where we caught the edge just to get what we got. I do not recall what the drought monitor looked like but I do remember being frustrated that it was not reflective of my personal location just bc it was so localized. Thankfully this year we’ve had several rainy periods, a tropical system, and have hit the afternoon storm lottery jackpot more than we’ve missed at the farm, so everything looks amazing this year. But just echoing your sentiments about how a localized drought can be frequent this time of year due to the inconsistent distribution of pop up storm and rainfall this time of year 

• jburns unpinned this topic