Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Observations

yotaman

22 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Nothing yesterday at the house, cells missed us to the southwest and northeast. Only .65 for the month so far. 

According to the latest drought monitor report, 49.98% of NC is abnormally dry or in a moderate drought and it’s mostly the foothills and piedmont.  The coastal plain has become our new tropical rainforest.  The rain from Elsa (as evidenced from the seven-day total map) made the gap in rainfall between east and west even wider.  At some point, our luck has to change.

Just 0.65” for the month is astonishing.  I should count my blessings for the one good soaker I had on July 2.

864C28C3-81AA-41C8-B65E-D90CC2977AD0.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

According to the latest drought monitor report, 49.98% of NC is abnormally dry or in a moderate drought and it’s mostly the foothills and piedmont.  The coastal plain has become our new tropical rainforest.  The rain from Elsa (as evidenced from the seven-day total map) made the gap in rainfall between east and west even wider.  At some point, our luck has to change.

Just 0.65” for the month is astonishing.  I should count my blessings for the one good soaker I had on July 2.

864C28C3-81AA-41C8-B65E-D90CC2977AD0.jpeg

Yea we didn't get much from the front the first of the month and 0 from Elsa. Pop up storms usually get us quite often but the pattern has not been favorable this year. What's crazy is my job in west Asheville (one of the driest areas in NC) is having a wetter summer than MBY along the escarpment in McDowell. Very very rare. 

Bad news is August can be one of the driest months of the year especially if no tropical activity. I feel like it's going to take a tropical system in the Gulf to save us from growing drought in WNC. 

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

Yea we didn't get much from the front the first of the month and 0 from Elsa. Pop up storms usually get us quite often but the pattern has not been favorable this year. What's crazy is my job in west Asheville (one of the driest areas in NC) is having a wetter summer than MBY along the escarpment in McDowell. Very very rare. 

Bad news is August can be one of the driest months of the year especially if no tropical activity. I feel like it's going to take a tropical system in the Gulf to save us from growing drought in WNC. 

Speaking of bad news, the high-res is a poop show for central NC through early Tuesday.  Rain to my east (of course) and rain to my west.  And 0.00” here.  It’s tough going two or three weeks without a drop and when you do get a little something, it’s too dry to soak in.

4 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

The updated map gets worse.  The rainless patch I’m in is less than a mile wide.

I’m at 0.00” today.

49C62F84-F05A-4C48-A0F4-A737BD352280.jpeg

That’s about as bad as it gets! We were shutout today as well but not in that manner! Also, we’ve been very fortunate this month so far in the rain department, I know it’s a different story west of here 

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

The afternoon wake county storm lottery has begun! Will @Avdave @eyewall or @NorthHillsWx cash in or will we all get blanked? Nobody knows 

We’ll, we almost hit it. Got skirted to the point you could hear the rain. Also a ton of thunder. Did rain for about 15 minutes but was only able to barely dampen the road. Not measurable, just a TR. Temp did drop from a high of 90.8 to 79.3

• jburns unpinned this topic