Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2021

WxWatcher007

30 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Interesting that even BOX is mentioning for us to be aware of the remnants late next week?

yeah the sort of 'super synoptic' suggestion is that whatever is delivered from the tropics E of Texas really has only one of two options:

-- stalls and rains out down there, probably right where they desperately need 20" of rain, the Tennessee Valley.

-- smears up and around the western circulation aspects of the WAR. 

I mentioned this half in jest/seriousness the other day ... but it was really interesting and still is how the main player global numerical guidance ( operational versions ) were all taking the zygote 99L  ( which I'm surprised that isn't designated a depression looking at various satellite channels/sources, but it's not a criticism; likely to be that way by sundown) on a N-central Gulf landfall trajectory, doing so with uncanny similarity in both timing and intensity.  

Remarkably consistent, and now also the fringe guidance types have all toed the line on that.

I also suspect the similar handing of a Sierra Leone ejection into the CV climo transit, and rapid/strong development should be considered above the relative la-la range aspect.  It's out there D6+ ... but the status of the VV potentials, combined with a +NAO-like circulation emerging and and overarching the Basin/transit would put that region quite favorable and these guidance seem to both plug a system into those kinematics, but most importantly have a TW over Africa already in "AI mind"  ...  

98L shouldn't be discounted either.  That may develop ... whether or not it then interacts with that trough is negotiable really - 

Risking being personally merited with the dreaded Category 5 Bun, ... Still, I keep seeing this ominous synoptic layout in the Atlantic Basin  CV transit.

What makes it intriguing is that the STR is strengthening that is over-arching it ...and that is from the Euro, which is cross-guidance in agreement with the GEF's rising NAO during that period, ~ D6 -10... The hemispheric mode is saddling Ferrel latitudes with the balast of surface pressure... This is very consistent in multiple guidance types, as well.

image.thumb.png.35d379076358c6a0217cc2ddfe104a58.png

10 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this thing could actually bomb - I mean... if there were ever a rapid intensification model, now might be a time to refer to it.  just sayn'

The 0z 3k Nam has it bombing to 897 MB by hr 57.  That is Cat 5 easily.  The setup is very similar to that of Hurricane Camille in 1969, which formed near the Cayman Islands, crossed extreme W Cuba and made landfall on the LA/MS border.  Lowest pressure was 900 MB, and winds were estimated at 200 mph after all instruments were blown away.  nam3km_mslp_wind_seus_57.png

• Weenie 2

17 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this thing could actually bomb - I mean... if there were ever a rapid intensification model, now might be a time to refer to it.  just sayn'

SHIPS Prob RI for 65kt/ 72hr RI threshold=  43% is   8.2 times climatological mean ( 5.3%)

That would bring Ida to 110 knots

• Like 2

It used to always be that you could count on a right bias in the track guidance beyond ... so many hours.  It appeaers that doesn't apply in this situation so much, for only being 3 days.  If it did, this might correct toward the upper Texas Coast.  

I don't know about Rays 145 to 165 mph max wind nearing the coast, per se .. but I do agree in principle.  The modeling of the TC its self, vs the modeled surrounding parametric soup of almost ideal favorable conditions, certainly spooks as the dreaded "intensifying upon approach," scenario ...

Timing that, or if it RI earlier then leading *usually* a phase of ERC ...and all those nuanced aspect cannot be ascertained at this time, but seeing as those types of "alleviation" are fleeting, uncertain... and frankly appears to be the only aspects that can mitigate this scenario's upside, it is one that looks very bad - to me.   Andrew did something like this...as did Camille, and there is plenty of at least anecdotal discussion in back offices spaces related to these tempests that do that.  Sort of bide time and then go nuts nearing the shore, as at least performing at the classification. It's almost synergistic.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It used to always be that you could count on a right bias in the track guidance beyond ... so many hours.  It appeaers that doesn't apply in this situation so much, for only being 3 days.  If it did, this might correct toward the upper Texas Coast.  

I don't know about Rays 145 to 165 mph max wind nearing the coast, per se .. but I do agree in principle.  The modeling of the TC its self, vs the modeled surrounding parametric soup of almost ideal favorable conditions, certainly spooks as the dreaded "intensifying upon approach," scenario ...

Timing that, or if it RI earlier then leading *usually* a phase of ERC ...and all those nuanced aspect cannot be ascertained at this time, but seeing as those types of "alleviation" are fleeting, uncertain... and frankly appears to be the only aspects that can mitigate this scenario's upside, it is one that looks very bad - to me.   Andrew did something like this...as did Camille, and there is plenty of at least anecdotal discussion in back offices spaces related to these tempests that do that.  Sort of bide time and then go nuts nearing the shore, as at least performing at the classification. It's almost synergistic.

The key to my forecast is that I don't think this has much time to complete an ERC, but even if it does, we will just trade some wind impact for more surge. This one will rank up there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Not that bullish on MDR storms moving west for east coast threats this year . Home grown and Cape Verde recurves

CCKW passing Over IDA , I’m sure that’s not helping ....and why this area was nearly a shoe in for activity from mid week to next week 

I am not bullish on succeeding long tracks, any and every year    lol...

Like we outlined last page or two ago, it's like 'exposure' to reasons not to succeed is to great, and creates to low of probability to do so. 

That said, ...yar some years seem to demo flatter longer motions before getting pulled up.  If that establishes earlier on... it may 'sort of' barometer the rest of that year.   This year doesn't 'seem' like one of those, no.  If the NAO does rise like the recent GEFs-based telecon suggests, that's a good start for getting one to do so.  But we'll see...

Not to be presumptuous ...but are you thinking about that next one coming off Africa in 4 days ?   That's an impressive consistent signal in the operational and ensembles of them, going back 3-days worth of cycles now.  That means the panoply of prognostic tools all see/saw it over a week from emerging off Africa - that's weird.

The GGEM is not the owner of the tastiest solution for D8 ... day 8 haha!  It's more about knowing it'll be on the charts I suppose.