SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2021

WxWatcher007

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Hope you're caught up on sleep. I suspect we'll be up for late night model runs at some point in the next month or two.

I've been making a point to sleep (though work has been getting in the way) because I know it's impossible for me to get more than a few hours when a threat is on the table. Hopefully I can get in at least one more chase this season. 

There's a good signal for late August to be active, which doesn't always happen. I'm expecting the peak to be well above average but just shy of hyperactive. IMO the SST profile in the MDR is the reason why. That said, the basin is heating up. 

2021212at.jpg

2021212atd26.png

• Like 4

Obviously y'all been onto this fledgling signal for a few days ...all credits duly conferred etc etc..

But, this morning behold!  We bear witness to an occurrence seldom ever observed.  It's the operational Euro model that sees a TC, most importantly  before it actually exists. 

The Euro model is funny like that. It's like the Johnny Come Lately model. It does none of the work but then tells everyone how the shows going to go once they've tediously grind it out and succeeded in finally producing the thing.

But here ... it seems the Euro cluster is leading that production effort.  As Ineedsnow was nice enough to post there's been ensemble clatter; this time the operational version looks CV caney even. 

Seriously, it's weird though...the MJO numerics are not in favor of this, yet the 200mb velocity anomalies are.

Christ... yet again, a large scale planetary 'reasonably' dependable statistical method appears to be operating/signaling in fracture. ...maybe.  I mean the CMC has no clue right now, and that model has always dependably incapable of handling the temptation of so much as a cumulus cloud out there without creating a black hole that sucks the Earth completely into a Cat 7 singularity... The fact that it doesn't see anything at al - a lot of all this is performance asynchronous coming/considering these disparate sources.

Interesting test for the Euro cluster -

• Like 1

Actually .. hm.   I might have been a bit too damped in my interpretation of the MJO wave.

It's just that the RMM diagram is a mess right now.  The individual models vs their ensemble are making cobwebs out of the plots. I was too focused on the recent verified weak wave propagation through the Phase 4-6 region that is typically correlated with hurricane toxicology heh.  But at closer look and fairness, there presently a 'weak' emergent signal going on circa late phase 8 -2 ... That region does tend to corroborate better with Atlantic deep layer mechanics.  Namely ... tending to lowering shear over all with upper level divergence. But emphasize weak... I mean it's a paltry signal - so far.  It could get stronger.  The PDF guys wrote that 

Personally I wonder if the MJO as forcing larger scale phenomenon is being rattled by the HC shit too - but that's another popsicle headache. I mean, over the years I see them making statements like this a lot,

"... Other modes, including a Kelvin wave that moved ahead of the main MJO convective envelope
and is now over the East Pacific and the low frequency state over the Pacific are increasingly
interfering with the MJO signal....

A statement from last week. We'll see what they think tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

what's interesting for me as this product's loop demos ..there are actually two TCs in genesis and tow through the basin over the course.

that seems like a so-what in a vacuum, but i've noticed over the years - anecdotally ... - that TCs that succeed the journey without being pulled N and getting gobbled up by the westerlies early,  seem to be preceded by a separate entity out ahead - sort of clearing and prepping the land for the road crew. ha. 

in this sense, it's not the lead system that we watch, it's the following one that developed a bit S and may - likely/theoretically ... - benefit from the predecessor's wake stability; it helps keep the second entity nicely/safely tucked beneath and sheltered from influences from the westerlies that 'would have otherwise' induced the earlier turn. 

sacrificial lamb, so that the 2nd system Maria's it's way up into the western Basin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Great stuff. I’m still riding above normal but short of hyperactive.

I don’t really take much of a position right now on the predominant steering pattern in September/October but the pattern certainly looks ripe for August. We’ll see if that second wave is able to develop.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Great stuff. I’m still riding above normal but short of hyperactive.

I don’t really take much of a position right now on the predominant steering pattern in September/October but the pattern certainly looks ripe for August. We’ll see if that second wave is able to develop.

If the predominate pattern of the season holds, then the east coast (not necessarily northeast) is going to have issues...that was the gist of my blog.

• Like 1