Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2021

WxWatcher007

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

57F  Light rain.  About .20" during daylight hours.  (.30" last night)   Quick look at the models.  Core of heavy rain from Elsa looks to pass by about 30 miles SE of me.  Just can't score a real soaker.  Maybe everything will come NW just a bit...

Do tropical storms have “mid-level magic”?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

holy shite, glad we don't live there. That dude in the white van at around the 1 minute mark is lucky he got out of there. 

Honestly with how fast that water/mud was moving that I’m not sure he did unfortunately. That driver barely pulled away as a wall of debris game at him at like 60 mph or whatever. It was hauling ass down that hill. :(

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Have any examples from this century?

Super storm sandy

Tornados destroyed Hamden like 5 years ago an entire state park was wiped out

hirricane irene

nemo blizzard 

isais 

I am a weather watcher and not at all involved in studying, playing or being a met and I know this. CT infrastructure had an issue with trees and poor planning. Generally speaking we have lost power once for an extended period here in ansonia which is ten minutes from Hamden. Majority of our power are above ground lines and CT loved their trees. Many of our issues were trees too close to power lines.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spaizzo said:

Super storm sandy

Tornados destroyed Hamden like 5 years ago an entire state park was wiped out

hirricane irene

nemo blizzard 

isais 

I am a weather watcher and not at all involved in studying, playing or being a met and I know this. CT infrastructure had an issue with trees and poor planning. Generally speaking we have lost power once for an extended period here in ansonia which is ten minutes from Hamden. Majority of our power are above ground lines and CT loved their trees. Many of our issues were trees too close to power lines.  

Dont forget the halloween snowstorm of 2011.   Knocked out power to most of inland CT for 5-7 days-a foot of slop on foliated trees....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Dont forget the halloween snowstorm of 2011.   Knocked out power to most of inland CT for 5-7 days-a foot of slop on foliated trees....

Yes sir.  I already gave Phin all of those…and I specifically gave him the Octobomb as an incredible example.  Been many examples this century. 

Radar is impressive coming up this way..lots of water. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

True! We lucked out! We didn’t have an issue until 2 days after they blew a fuse on our lines and we ended up being the last restored

26 minutes ago, Spaizzo said:

So is CT on the dirty side of this like we were isais? We happened to. E in obx and it hit as a cat 1 there, but ct got way more damage. Trying to gauge tomorrow and prep! Thanks 

No wind issues for most of us(unless you’re down in Groton/Stonington) just rain and quite a bit of it it looks like.  Pouring here now..(been raining since about 3 pm) with quite a bit more to come. 

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s already busting in wester zones 

this action .. I don’t know if this meets the qualification but looks a bit PRE like

I had to google pre but we had several torrential down pours here today and my guess about an inch in the last 8 hours based off the flood in our garage… wish our rain gauge didn’t float away

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m selling someone seeing like 5”+ of rain… I feel like the heaviest areas may see 5”

I think if anyone does it may be isolated, but it only takes an uber band to set up for an hour for sick totals. Usually jut NW of the track. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think if anyone does it may be isolated, but it only takes an uber band to set up for an hour for sick totals. Usually jut NW of the track. 

Yes… it’s definitely plausible… I just wouldn’t count on it. As usual, could be some surprises. 

I mean, we could still use the rain around here… good for the wells