Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2021

WxWatcher007

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

This isn't your worst problem. Drunken college kids up at 4am lighting fireworks is. 

We went for 4 years in a row. It was WILD. 

I did a trip like that 30+ years ago.  There was a lot of drunkenness.  I had heard they had clamped down a bit on that. 
Last time we kayaked on the Saco after a big rain our son’s kayak got caught in a strainer for a while. 

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I did a trip like that 30+ years ago.  There was a lot of drunkenness.  I had heard they had clamped down a bit on that. 
Last time we kayaked on the Saco after a big rain our son’s kayak got caught in a strainer for a while. 

It would really need to dump at the head of the watershed to bring the levels up this time of year, I'm heading down the Songo river to Sebago on Saturday on a pontoon with a load of folks........:)

• Like 1

Should be a fun little event on the NH seacoast. Not expecting much in the way of wind, but water is just about always the bigger problem for us anyways. I got a feeling this won’t be the only tropical mischief we have up this way this summer. Did anyone ever post the flash flooding/landslides from Japan this week? We are lucky to not really be vulnerable to these kind of natural disasters in our part of the world. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We have a kayaking trip on the Saco planned for next week. I’ve heard horror stories of people having to wait and drag kayaks and canoes through water that’s 2” deep… guessing this will help that 

Saco is a flashy river - quick up/quick down, like the St. John upriver from Allagash but on a smaller/quicker scale.  Once the snowmelt ends there's little storage capacity and lots of grade until it crosses into Maine, and while it's then pretty flat the storage doesn't improve much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Heavily forested non urban communities comparable to RI and SE Mass with outages. Big pond close by with obviously more intense storms than NH VT. Maine also has a similar outage problem. 

Or shitty infrastructure that fails in 30 mph winds. CT has generally very benign weather. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Saco is a flashy river - quick up/quick down, like the St. John upriver from Allagash but on a smaller/quicker scale.  Once the snowmelt ends there's little storage capacity and lots of grade until it crosses into Maine, and while it's then pretty flat the storage doesn't improve much.

Now the west branch of the penobscot is a different animal lol.

21 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Now the west branch of the penobscot is a different animal lol.

Controlled release from Rip Dam and there's nothing on the Saco like the Cribworks.  It's probably the only Maine rafting spot where the companies have rescue staff on the shoreline rocks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Controlled release from Rip Dam and there's nothing on the Saco like the Cribworks.  It's probably the only Maine rafting spot where the companies have rescue staff on the shoreline rocks.

Yes, Ripogenus, Chesuncook and Caribou lake all feed into the dam, I use to fish Chesuncook and Ragged lake back in the 70's when the only access was thru logging or the golden Road.

43 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sell in ECT with 35 mph winds. Cape Cod Special. Maybe right along the Groton coast. Shit we had 35 to 50 2 days in a row with minimal outages.

Agreed but I can see why they have to go higher.   We saw what projecting too low did with Isaias.

57 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Or shitty infrastructure that fails in 30 mph winds. CT has generally very benign weather. 

Both utilities have been under fire for the last 10 years for poor storm response....calling in reserves 2 days into the outage-etc stuff that they should have done 3-5 days ahead of time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoalaBeer said:

Should be a fun little event on the NH seacoast. Not expecting much in the way of wind, but water is just about always the bigger problem for us anyways. I got a feeling this won’t be the only tropical mischief we have up this way this summer. Did anyone ever post the flash flooding/landslides from Japan this week? We are lucky to not really be vulnerable to these kind of natural disasters in our part of the world. 

holy shite, glad we don't live there. That dude in the white van at around the 1 minute mark is lucky he got out of there. 

19 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

holy shite, glad we don't live there. That dude in the white van at around the 1 minute mark is lucky he got out of there. 

Dense population crowded onto the relatively small amount of less sloping land in a country filled with mountains and subject to tropical and ET heavy rains.

Edit:  Japan is slightly smaller than CA but has more than 3 times the population and a considerably lesser proportion of non-mountainous terrain.  It's pop density would rank 3rd compared to US states, a bit more than MA but well back of NJ and RI.  Of course, those 3 states are parking-lot flat compared to Japan and get less precipitation.  It's also on the Pacific rim of fire, with volcanos and especially earthquakes.

5 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

I'd hire the structural engineers for that red building and the white building a little further up the hill in  heartbeat.

• Like 1