Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Top 10 day.

72/49 in the valley, upper 60s in the base area, and upper 50s at the iconic tables.  Puffy Cu floating by.

Mountain is packed, great day to enjoy it.  Can see MWN for the first time in a while.  Air is crisp.

VIS just a smidge better than a few days ago.. that ridge is only about 1/4 mile away.

20210726_134409_compress28.thumb.jpg.61851bfdffec36b1d0903324196078c9.jpg

20210728_143558_compress28.thumb.jpg.1c0216c08a459dc208b3158183bfdfb3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Check out 2021 July ave at 6 pm for ORH and MVL

network_MA_ASOS__zstation_ORH__month_jul__hour_18__var_avg_tmpf__dpi_100.png

network_VT_ASOS__zstation_MVL__month_jul__hour_18__var_avg_tmpf__dpi_100.png

Nice data, the public remembers that.  The dews soften the blow but people think it was cooler than it should’ve been during the day, especially after the work day (good time grab for 6pm).

• Like 1

Letting the dog out one last time, it’s in the low 50s at 10pm.  It’s been a while since it’s felt this cool. Strong radiational cooling; the River bottoms and large open valleys pooling the coolest air. Bugs seem dormant, no moths, no skeeters.

52F MVL.  50F at both BLM and HIE in NH.

Looking back … it’s been a ‘2 steps ahead (models) 1 step back (verifying)’ getting us to this air mass.

As a result it’s taken some 20 days it seems like. Models were routinely over digging between D7 and 10; they inevitably trended flatter. That said the longer-term goal was to succeed in finally eroding heights down in the east.

I kind of consider today through the weekend as maybe the nadir. Then will have one more go at summer and see what that entails. Solar max ends on August 8 tho but we did do June, which relatively that may actually be a competitive anomaly.. 

It feel like I’ve noticed this over the years … summer does tend to come in two waves - if perhaps just anecdotal…

• Like 3

Just checked the P&C for my former western ME location: 60s and low 70s for the entire period. Yeesh. Yea this summer is beyond shot back that way, though that writing was on the wall once July began. I didn't think that that first June heat event would be as hot as it ever got for the season, though some previous seasons in the past have behaved similarly enough that it's by no means unprecedented at this point. I recall getting groceries in North Conway during the warmest day in June and it was pretty legit heat, to the point of me noticing the similarity to my daily experiences in AZ.

To what extent does the NWS conduct reoccurring quality control tests at their main regional sites?

Multiple stations surrounding Logan Airport (East Boston, Winthrop, North End) all indicate a pretty healthy rainfall of 0.5-1.0 inches last night. It certainly appeared to be the case given the conditions and radar signature. 

"Official" Boston tally from Logan came in with 0.13 inches :blink:

Not the first time this July the official Boston numbers have been a little wonky.

6 hours ago, CCHurricane said:

To what extent does the NWS conduct reoccurring quality control tests at their main regional sites?

Multiple stations surrounding Logan Airport (East Boston, Winthrop, North End) all indicate a pretty healthy rainfall of 0.5-1.0 inches last night. It certainly appeared to be the case given the conditions and radar signature. 

"Official" Boston tally from Logan came in with 0.13 inches :blink:

Not the first time this July the official Boston numbers have been a little wonky.

I see 0.38.