Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was a time back in either the 80’s or maybe early 90’s when there was a ton of fires in West Va. I remember the skies here were thick with smoke from those , but not sure if it was this bad 

I don’t recall that event.  I can’t say I have ever seen smoke like this before. 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah 'been wondering.

Not sure what the return rate is on smoke circumventing the global and choking far away geographies.  

I remember .. shoot, I wanna say 2003, summer.  There were wild fires in Canada that summer and we got stuck in a high troposphere conveyor that brought a lot of smoke down but confined above~ > 20 K elevation. I mean it looked like busted mammata up there under ... 80 F with a dim orb sun.  I thought that was impressive. Never on the ground though.

I was just thinking about this very same subject an hour ago, when we bottomed out at 2 mi vis in yellow pall under diffused headache blinding obliterating sun shine, just how weird it was how you could smell what burned 2500 miles away.  

I don't recall that kind of fully integrated over-turning, either.

7/7/2002

That was fairly similar with mostly 2SM vis, but it was a little more widespread.

• Like 2

My senior year in HS (1963) included a super smoky October as a fire was burning all month in the state forest 5-6 miles away.  Each day we could track where the fire was hottest by spotting the thickest/tallest smoke column.  Much smaller than the sources of today's smoke (~3,000 acres) but stubborn.  Glaciers had dumped loads of boulders there and trees/mountain laurel had grown up thru the spaces between rocks.  Duff and litterfall desiccated by the driest October on record (0.14" in NYC, 0.10" on the 31st) burned readily and with roots/litter among the rock gardens, firefighters would be watering down flames in front only to have more follow the fuel and pop up behind.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was a time back in either the 80’s or maybe early 90’s when there was a ton of fires in West Va. I remember the skies here were thick with smoke from those , but not sure if it was this bad 

So are you saying that you are little hazy on the details?

giphy.gif

On a different note, it looks like some storms moving into NVT in a hour or so.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

As others have remarked, I too don't remember smoke at the surface like this. This is two events this month. I recall many events where the smoke was elevated though. 

The smell today is different than I remember though. I seem to remember smelling burnt pine in the past. But today smells like burnt plastic almost.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

7/7/2002

That was fairly similar with mostly 2SM vis, but it was a little more widespread.

I was living in Winchester MA at the time..

I memory that as a very elevated smoke layer. I also recall looping sat and it was a narrow band but ..could be miss-remembering -  .. heh, working on 20 years ago. 

yeah, here it is -

The BigSmoke in New England, July 2002  Smoke transport from Quebec to New England to … <ul><li>An evolving presentation b...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

As others have remarked, I too don't remember smoke at the surface like this. This is two events this month. I recall many events where the smoke was elevated though. 

The smell today is different than I remember though. I seem to remember smelling burnt pine in the past. But today smells like burnt plastic almost.

Just a thought ... 2002 and other fires of smokey lore, were really our backyard geographies.  I mean Ontario? c'mon

This?  Come from across the continent, where from/via passage over and through industry - just wondering if there is some weird binding with industrial aerosol waste mixing in with it then being worked on by UV ... viola.  We have a special kind of carcinogenic nox - lol...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was living in Winchester MA at the time..

I memory that as a very elevated smoke layer. I also recall looping sat and it was a narrow band but ..could be miss-remembering -  .. heh, working on 20 years ago. 

yeah, here it is -

The BigSmoke in New England, July 2002  Smoke transport from Quebec to New England to … <ul><li>An evolving presentation b...

More here…

https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/68737.pdf

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Rain rain I don't mind the weather is fine.

If the rain comes
They run and hide their heads
They might as well be dead
If the rain comes
If the rain comes
When the sun shines
They slip into the shade
(When the sun shines down)
And sip their lemonade
(When the sun shines down)
When the sun shines
When the sun shines
Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine

B-side of Paperback Writer.  Great track! Underrated...