Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I was always told that deep moisture is the best even for plants. I mean if it’s really dry you have to water regardless, but if you only encourage watering the top soil, the roots will be shallow. 

Yeah...agree. But I'm just saying if the water table is near the surface then the tree is probably going to root deep and laterally. Like you said, it's those drought periods like we were in where the deeper soil gets dry and the minimal watering only wets the top few inches and the plant only roots laterally seeking the moisture. Given how well I retain moisture I'm probably good for the rest of the summer considering my northerly slope and the declining sun angle. Gene's hill faces S so he always has to fight those dry periods.

Another top 10 day in CT.  Probably some of the best, most comfortable weather I can remember for July down here in past several years of visits.  Upper 70s over 50s with strong sun.

Hot enough for swimming, but nice enough to do other activities too.  Difference between sun and shade is high today.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

I will say I cut down a dying tree a couple years ago and took a peek at the rings. I could easily pick out those wet years from the mid 2000s through the early 2010s. The biggest growth was what I assumed to be 2009 which was obviously a cool sog fest through spring and into July. So maybe as long as there is moisture deep that’s all that matters and the roots will spread every which way anyway? A few of those rings were like 3x wider than others (looked like the thin ones were late 90s). But yeah, my chestnut trees don’t seem to like “wet feet” and they’re showing some signs of rot based on the new growth wilting up. The low spots in the back have standing water after the additional 0.29” yesterday. 

This is why I've voiced skepticism of the widespread use of dendrochronology to estimate past temperature regimes.  It's most useful at the cold edge of a species' range, where a 1°C change can determine success or failure to produce viable seed.  Elsewhere it's like you found - water is by far the bigger determinant.

10/10 for CoC today.  Sun is strong enough for me to work up a sweat moving wood but dews low enough to evaporate it.

Edit:  July has already had 1/4" more rain than the full month average, but the Sandy River flow is slightly less than 25th percentile.  Garden roots are fine but the water table has dropped.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

With 15.5 “ of rain in 24 days and almost 20” if you count the 3+ I had June 29-30, I could go the rest of summer without watering the tomatoes, peppers and anything other than potted plants . There’s still water running out of hillsides into streets 

My old uncle was just telling us about his old outhouse he keeps for nostalgia (obviously has plumbing and two indoor bathrooms now).  It’s been pumped and cleaned and no one uses it.  He said the ground water is so high the hole has a couple feet of water in the outhouse.  He’s never seen that in the summer before and it’s been there since the 1950s when he started building camps here.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Thankfully stayed in the low 60’s here for lows. Dew currently is 62

It honestly doesn’t feel like that for a dew point.  Without a doubt feels like low to mid 50s but I’m calibrated to the ASOS dews, so low 60s at PWS probably makes sense.  All the family here can talk about is how refreshing the air mass feels.  I was just swimming with your mechanic and the Tolland crew :lol:.

Dew points:

ORH 49F

BDL 53F

IJD 53F

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It honestly doesn’t feel like that for a dew point.  Without a doubt feels like low to mid 50s but I’m calibrated to the ASOS dews, so low 60s at PWS probably makes sense.  All the family here can talk about is how refreshing the air mass feels.  I was just swimming with your mechanic and the Tolland crew :lol:.

Dew points:

ORH 49F

BDL 53F

IJD 53F

There’s the documented 4 degree too low dew at ORH. Never fails no matter the airmass.

Dew 60 now and 59 at stem 

No way.. Graham and his fam were there? If I know him , the Treehouse were flowing .. lol

RUAlpZd.png

S76qX0g.png

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s the documented 4 degree too low dew at ORH. Never fails no matter the airmass.

Dew 60 now and 59 at stem 

No way.. Graham and his fam were there? If I know him , the Treehouse were flowing .. lol

Yeah the ORH dews definitely have been pretty steady below the other sites by a few degrees.  Not sure how elevation plays into that, I almost expect the valleys to mix out more with higher T-Td spread than the hilltop.

I don’t doubt the dew at the local stations are higher, they always are.  Just our “real feel” in my mind is calibrated to the ASOS readings. Like it feels outside as it does when those stations record mid-50s but maybe it’s always been 60F, just didn’t know it.

And yeah, Graham and my cousin (his wife) own the camp next to my parents’.  Plenty of beer will be drank at the big campfire tonight.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the ORH dews definitely have been pretty steady below the other sites by a few degrees.  Not sure how elevation plays into that, I almost expect the valleys to mix out more with higher T-Td spread than the hilltop.

I don’t doubt the dew at the local stations are higher, they always are.  Just our “real feel” in my mind is calibrated to the ASOS readings. Like it feels outside as it does when those stations record mid-50s but maybe it’s always been 60F, just didn’t know it.

And yeah, Graham and my cousin (his wife) own the camp next to my parents’.  Plenty of beer will be drank at the big campfire tonight.

Tell the big man I said hello. And also that I am expecting a free oil change for my truck appt Monday morning :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My favorite cloud of the summer so far.

I would put this in the banter thread but this is at least weather related.

43BB69D5-4065-416F-920E-DD6077E70318.thumb.jpeg.574a660492ed5e4d8b0b48d10c16949d.jpeg

Fine photo capturing the majestic beauty of cumulus. Then there’s the three headed city version taken from a cabana near Riis Park. As always ….

7A2988D1-6B63-4E6E-9BB0-EBFF51BEB6BB.jpeg

• Like 3