Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have never seen anyone question doubt people more than you.  Were you lied to a lot as a kid? Promised a barbie doll and instead got a baseball glove?

We had a cloudy week. How dry could the soil have been? Everything is getting root rot, blight, whatever the hell it is. Let that shit dry a bit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We had a cloudy week. How dry could the soil have been? Everything is getting root rot, blight, whatever the hell it is. Let that shit dry a bit.

This will only be settled with an official Dendy soil moisture monitoring sensor. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Glad we don't live there. Full sun last two days until about 4 then partly cloudy . Smoky sky only 1 day

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Glad we don't live there. Full sun last two days until about 4 then partly cloudy . Smoky sky only 1 day

Yeah we had sunny days too, but also some storms. All I meant was to let the roots get a little deeper. A little too soil dryness is ok as long as soil 1” or deeper has moisture.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Shit even in 16 inch Tolland SM is 200 cb

Screenshot_20210724-003512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210724-003753_Chrome.jpg

That sucker looks broken. My guess is they left it in the ground a few too many winters and the freeze-thaws tore the wire. Mine was stuck around 200 or not reading at all and when I pulled it out this spring it was damaged. 

Anyway, I replaced it. I’ve had half the rain Kev has had this month and I’m reading 5cb this morning. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That sucker looks broken. My guess is they left it in the ground a few too many winters and the freeze-thaws tore the wire. Mine was stuck around 200 or not reading at all and when I pulled it out this spring it was damaged. 

Anyway, I replaced it. I’ve had half the rain Kev has had this month and I’m reading 5cb this morning. 

Stop doubting or questioning. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we had sunny days too, but also some storms. All I meant was to let the roots get a little deeper. A little too soil dryness is ok as long as soil 1” or deeper has moisture.

I will say I cut down a dying tree a couple years ago and took a peek at the rings. I could easily pick out those wet years from the mid 2000s through the early 2010s. The biggest growth was what I assumed to be 2009 which was obviously a cool sog fest through spring and into July. So maybe as long as there is moisture deep that’s all that matters and the roots will spread every which way anyway? A few of those rings were like 3x wider than others (looked like the thin ones were late 90s). But yeah, my chestnut trees don’t seem to like “wet feet” and they’re showing some signs of rot based on the new growth wilting up. The low spots in the back have standing water after the additional 0.29” yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Stop doubting or questioning. 

He had rain this week there Nostradumbass lol. I should do a training video for you. I know its hard to believe that people have different weather than you. Ask Brian how much rain a week a vegetable garden needs.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I will say I cut down a dying tree a couple years ago and took a peek at the rings. I could easily pick out those wet years from the mid 2000s through the early 2010s. The biggest growth was what I assumed to be 2009 which was obviously a cool sog fest through spring and into July. So maybe as long as there is moisture deep that’s all that matters and the roots will spread every which way anyway? A few of those rings were like 3x wider than others (looked like the thin ones were late 90s). But yeah, my chestnut trees don’t seem to like “wet feet” and they’re showing some signs of rot based on the new growth wilting up. The low spots in the back have standing water after the additional 0.29” yesterday. 

I was always told that deep moisture is the best even for plants. I mean if it’s really dry you have to water regardless, but if you only encourage watering the top soil, the roots will be shallow. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

He had rain this week there Nostradumbass lol. I should do a training video for you. I know its hard to believe that people have different weather than you. Ask Brian how much rain a week a vegetable garden needs.

My yard is full of gardens. I know what I’m doing lol. 

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lol no wonder your CB is so high, I had .10 all week and that was Tuesday 

47 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Easy to see why some have soaked soils the last 14 days while others don't.  But question everyone 

Screenshot_20210724-075007_Chrome.jpg

Yup dry here of late, in that green stripe....what seems to be the only green stripe in CT. Definitely need some rain or watering in the garden regardless of what happened the first 10 days of the month.

7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Yup dry here of late, in that green stripe....what seems to be the only green stripe in CT. Definitely need some rain or watering in the garden regardless of what happened the first 10 days of the month.

Its been a dry stretch here as well with only .45 in the last 14 days. 

Screenshot_20210724-084756_My AcuRite.jpg