Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

That’s brutal. I imagine in a normal summer you folks do pretty well up there?

Average annual TS is 15.1 , with 11.2 in met summer, 4.6 in July, max year with 23, lowest 8.  As a wild guess, I'd estimate 60% are weak, 30% garden variety, 10% noteworthy.  YTD is 3 weak, 1 G-V (mid-30s wind) and 1 noteworthy, though without the ultra-close strike it would've rated as weak.  (And 0.3% possibly severe - 6/12/05 had 30 seconds of flying mist with leaves and branches, and toppled a half dozen tall aspens along our road, plus some other trees.  I'd guess 50s to near/above 60 mph.  Also dropped a handful of trees onto the road 1/2 mile to our west.  As it arrived the SW view suddenly looked brighter as trees were bent downward by the gust.)
--Fort Kent  (1/1/76 thru 10/19/85) had fewer, unsurprisingly, with 12.1 annually, 8.7 in met summer, 3.8 for July and max/min 17/6. 
--At Gardiner (11/1/85 thru 5/14/98) the numbers are 13.1/yr, 8.75 in met summer with June tops at3.33 (July 2.83) and 22 in our 1st full year there - 1986 - and a low of 7 in 1992.  July 1991 had none, the only July shutout since moving to Fort Kent.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We'll clear out for a little late evening radiational cooling so we can fog up nice and thick for morning.

Right - not sure how that can be avoided ( geo f'um physically) in this weird festering positive hydro feed-back loop. 

It's like we need 110 F to get a standard DP depression at this point.   hahaha

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Humidity is awesome. end of story. Like it, love it, embrace it. 

People who say this go from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned office, back to an air coditioned car, back to an air conditioned house, all while wearing a hoodie because it is “a little chilly.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

People who say this go from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned office, back to an air coditioned car, back to an air conditioned house, all while wearing a hoodie because it is “a little chilly.”

The irony is then when someone says it’s not humid out and it’s enjoyable, they come back with “what do you mean?  It’s miserably humid.  Dew is 70F at my station.  Sweating my whole run.”

Like last week in CT… I hate humidity and was like “It’s comfortable out this evening” and the response was “Are you drunk it’s miserable, you should hate it!”

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

It's summer, prime-time.  Why wouldn't I enjoy it?  Sure we've had some crap days, but most of the time has been warm and humid, almost no cool and dry weather at all.  I never understood why people complain about weather, especially the winter fiends inJanuary and not snowing every day.  At least it's winter (if you enjoy that)

Beer?

most of the time warm and humid? I'll give you the humid part, but mostly warm days is flat out wrong.

I'll also give you that there has been no cool and dry weather. There have been very few (4) dry days, however the cool days have outnumbered the HHH days. At mi casa, of the 19 days of July, i have had measurable precip on 15 days (79%). 

assuming my daily average high is around 80, i have had 9 days below normal, 8 days above, and 2 right around normal. Also, assuming 70 is the average daily temp, i have had 10 below normal, 6 days above, and 3 right around normal. I mean, my average temp on July 3 was 56 (14 degrees BN). Prime time summer indeed.

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah basically unless people enjoy sitting in their own sweaty filth. 

Humidity is also extremely dangerous once it gets high enough.

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

Beer?

most of the time warm and humid? I'll give you the humid part, but mostly warm days is flat out wrong.

I'll also give you that there has been no cool and dry weather. There have been very few (4) dry days, however the cool days have outnumbered the HHH days. At mi casa, of the 19 days of July, i have had measurable precip on 15 days (79%). 

assuming my daily average high is around 80, i have had 9 days below normal, 8 days above, and 2 right around normal. Also, assuming 70 is the average daily temp, i have had 10 below normal, 6 days above, and 3 right around normal. I mean, my average temp on July 3 was 56 (14 degrees BN). Prime time summer indeed.

it's been nicer here, whereas over the MA border and esp.  CNH has been doored quite a bit. Apples and oranges

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

What a punt of a day.  It just keeps raining.  This swath has been a permanent feature pretty much all day.

Only needed in winter.  No need in summer.

92AD6554-91FD-4F2E-A907-FCAF741FEC27.gif.970ecf6c8b09f28d98cd29eee9010670.gif

Luckily is has pretty much stayed away from me and we actually saw some sunny breaks

54 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't voluntarily use A/C. By that I mean I don't have my own A/C. In the car, yes I use AC. The only time I ever had an AC in my room was when I briefly lived with an ex-girlfriend. but it's such a scenario you presented as the sole reason why people can't tolerate heat/humidity. 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Warm?  Through 7/18:

BOS:  -2.5
BDL: -1.0

PVD: -1.5

ORH: -2.4

Watm nights but cooler days.  IOW-ugh.

well ...in his defense, he said "summer"

Going by summer/Met clmo, pretty sure the (June + so far July)/2 = a positive return.

It may not end that way ... but this 45 or so days in so far as summer goes -

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I view the summer of 09 as that. That was cold and hellish with no storms. This had been warm humid and stormy. I get it’s slightly BN but the dews have it quite enjoyable 

It has been stormy and humid but too cool for my liking.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

It has been stormy and humid but too cool for my liking.

I guess it’s been worse there in E MA on the water overall. I think you guys have been on the wrong side of the warm fronts a couple times. Yesterday a god example . But to me ugh misery is July 4 weekend. The whole month of July09 was like that. -1 in July is still warm 

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

Not many can relate, but it's been frustratingly bone-dry here the past 2.5 days - relatively speaking...with storms firing about 10-15 miles to my west and north and not moving eastward. It's like a canal forcefield. 

Yup.  We've been unscathed since Friday evening when I saw .2".  Saturday and Sunday were dry.   0.2" today.