• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

I love how clouds form. So cute. You see a bug sexy cloud form and it’s so mature and big and cute and then in either side…blue sky. Is that like little divergence zones? Convergence in the middle and cite divergence on the left and right? Like it’s so awesome. Blue sky and boom…cute cumulonimbus and TCU and cumulus stuff 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But the surface low over SE NY is moving NE. So it will basically stall it out and move it north a bit before winds go NW after cold front 

We’ll see…maybe it slows and stalls. HRRR clears it through your area. 

One interesting thing I’ve noticed all afternoon is that some rain showers are moving in one direction, while others are moving in the opposite direction.

All the low level stuff is going from NE to SW… low clouds are moving southwestward that you can see from the surface.  Aloft it’s going the opposite direction.

Like this stuff in the northern Champlain Valley… some echos are going one way and another set of showers is moving SW to NE.

If I could post a longer radar loop that stuff has been happening all afternoon.

52CDCC24-F0B6-444F-8DCA-211F16ADA263.gif.efa6d8ca61781846fc5523c35b623411.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I know it

It's been weird. I really don't recall a single BD in April that really could qualitatively be one, and maybe vaguely one in May.  June maybe but it was so overwhelmingly warm if not hot, it really if so its not the same as this - not even close all three of those months put together.

There's been at least five acceleration events like what you see there on the vis imagery ... https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-Rhode_Island-02-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

The weird part about it it? There's no S/W moving SE out of Ontario. Heights are 582 godDAM NE of Caribou.   It's almost the weight of cooler saturated air alone that's doing this.  That boundary is moving unusually slowly too - creeping

I didn't realize there had been five in the last three weeks, insane especially for July. It never ceases to amaze me the numerous ways summer can be thwarted in the northeastern part of NE, and even in the situation where there are no foreseeable ways, a phantom one will be invented.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Another inch here in the past 90 minutes.   4.5" since yesterday afternoon.  Unreal.

Deerfield River has to be raging.  5-6” total radar estimates out of ALY in the Deerfield area.

I figure ALY is the better radar there… lower elevation scan and closer to rad site.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Deerfield River has to be raging.  5-6” total radar estimates out of ALY in the Deerfield area.

I figure ALY is the better radar there… lower elevation scan and closer to rad site.

It was impressive Friday before all this rain it must be raging right now.   Green River near my house was as high as I've seen it in years.

Yes, Albany radar is what I use.

12 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather-news/stories/nws-investigating-damage-after-possible-tornado-touchdown-in-somers/2531199/

I was outside observing drainage around the house during that storm and did notice low-level clouds coming from the east while the higher storm clouds were coming from the southwest. 

Here's a quick run down of the details on this evening's weak tornado in Somers, CT. Based on damage sustained it was rated an EF-0 (on a 0 to 5 scale). You can find more in depth information here: https://bit.ly/2TjfswS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Here's a quick run down of the details on this evening's weak tornado in Somers, CT. Based on damage sustained it was rated an EF-0 (on a 0 to 5 scale). You can find more in depth information here: https://bit.ly/2TjfswS

THIS IS A PATH LENGTH OF 1.9 MILES. THE APPROXIMATE PATH WIDTH WAS 75 YARDS. DAMAGE PHOTOS LED TO ESTIMATES OF MAXIUMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 75 TO 80 MPH, WHICH PUTS THIS ON THE MID TO UPPER END OF THE EF0 CATEGORY OF THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE. THE TIME, BASED ON RADAR, FIRE DEPARTMENT LOGS, AND AN EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT, WAS FROM 611 PM TO 618 PM EDT.

THIS STORM WAS LOW-TOPPED AND DID NOT POSSESS ANY LIGHTNING...ONLY HEAVY RAIN. HOWEVER, ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS...HIGH HUMIDITY AND JUST ENOUGH WIND SHEAR ALOFT...WERE STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE THIS ISOLATED SPIN-UP.

I understand the physics and fluid motion the atmosphere possesses in many different situation (I’m a visual learner), but I  still don’t visualize humidity and spinners.  Is it just warm moist air rises at a lesser excuse possible than anything cooler/drier?  Those thermals are more likely to form a TOR?

I was in Somers at 5:30 picking up Chinese Food right there on Main St. That part of town is very low. Basically the CTRV. As I climbed back home over Soapstone Mtn which is 1k towards Tolland , I could see the black clouds popping . Had I waited another 30 minutes , I would have been able to check off one of my bucket list items of seeing a TOR on the ground. 

• Like 1

BOX with no real pattern change thru day 7. 
Other than a rain free fwy or two . 

LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

This portion of the forecast will still feature slow changes to the
primary synoptic features. Expecting a broad mid level trough to be
close enough to maintain unsettled weather across southern New
England. Despite having a continued risk for more periods of
rainfall this week. The uncertainty lies in exact timing of showers
for any given location. As humid as it has been, it will be easier
to trigger showers with only the slightest amount of lift. In
general, thinking Wednesday looks to be one of the wetter periods as
a cold front moves through. This should then lead to a drier day
Thursday as this front moves offshore. After then, confidence in the
timing of precipitation drops off considerably. It does appear that
we will remain stuck in this unsettled pattern of alternating dry
and wet periods into early next week. Localized flooding will remain
a concern across the western half of southern New England until we
can get into a more prolonged period of rain-free weather.

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

THIS IS A PATH LENGTH OF 1.9 MILES. THE APPROXIMATE PATH WIDTH WAS 75 YARDS. DAMAGE PHOTOS LED TO ESTIMATES OF MAXIUMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 75 TO 80 MPH, WHICH PUTS THIS ON THE MID TO UPPER END OF THE EF0 CATEGORY OF THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE. THE TIME, BASED ON RADAR, FIRE DEPARTMENT LOGS, AND AN EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT, WAS FROM 611 PM TO 618 PM EDT.

THIS STORM WAS LOW-TOPPED AND DID NOT POSSESS ANY LIGHTNING...ONLY HEAVY RAIN. HOWEVER, ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS...HIGH HUMIDITY AND JUST ENOUGH WIND SHEAR ALOFT...WERE STRONG ENOUGH TO CAUSE THIS ISOLATED SPIN-UP.

I understand the physics and fluid motion the atmosphere possesses in many different situation (I’m a visual learner), but I  still don’t visualize humidity and spinners.  Is it just warm moist air rises at a lesser excuse possible than anything cooler/drier?  Those thermals are more likely to form a TOR?

Sad pic by Eri Ca on FB. Lots of good vids on the Somers FB page

FB_IMG_1626689882167.jpg