Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

28 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yep. And Scarab Beetles.  Out of control.  I’m pulling a dozen out of the pool skimmer every day as well as off the top of the water.

Yep Scarab everywhere. Pretty beneficial beetle they eat fleas and other lawn pests that eat lawn shoots

36 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Don't use brackets, And don't make holes in the new window casings or windows, I did all new vinyl replacements and i cut some 1x4 pine down to 1x3x32" in length to fit the outside window jam so the AC rest on the wood not the vinyl window jam, Ill post a pic in a bit, Its easy and effective.

I think I know what you mean - no need to post pics :)    ...yeah, it's why I posted a picture of my own - to show the vinyl jam/casing edge.   

But, the brackets ( "Ivation" ) also appears to achieve what you are suggesting with the your own pine-and-cut DIY suggestion.  I guess it can't hear to show, no -

Basically, either method:  the apparatus 'suspends' the AC unit through the window aperture, without physically impacting/marring the window's physical components.  Definitely these are the recourse' for this issue. 

This is my first foray as a home owner into dealing with AC and replacement windows.  I don't have central air, and the previous windows were casings installed circa mid last Century - literally...not merely figuratively. They were that old. Sme were the earliest replacement technology, like 1978.  Yet others appeared original; the casings upstairs from somewhere between 1909 ( the home construction ), and the 1970s - wood and single pane, with glazing.  I mean, that's like neolithic at this point. 

So screwing A.C. units in and stuffing insulation foam around the edges was okay for the previous window sets...  But, now that I have replaced with these new ones, those/that is no longer soluble.   Seems like a simple thing ...but it is and isn't just the same.  I was imagining these solutions, but wasn't actually finding them on the web - possibly because I don't have patients for the Internet anymore since it become impractically weighted down in a morass of people trying to sell shit.  

The better days of the Internet ... roughly 1997 to 2002, are gone - everything after that takes a team of Google engineers to find what you want.  Almost as though it's by design too - get the money through the electronic sale, negotiate return or keep after. To avoid that it takes as long to parse through the ambitions of greed and/or special interest groups, as it did doing research back in the 1980s before using the god-damn thing.  Jesus .. Going on line now is an endless siege miss-direction to diverge your attention from the linear line of site targeted search - what?  in the off chance that you'll put down finding socks to become a gov hating Republican that thinks the hurricane frequency is caused by human rights for lesbians ?   It's just a morass now!  But that's a digression  ...

I tried searching for a while and my patience for it all is so thin to begin with I just figured I'd ask and sure enough ... within 10 replies, one trickles in that is a better start.  Thanks all!

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think I know what you mean - no need to post pics :)    ...yeah, it's why I posted a picture of my own - to show the vinyl jam/casing edge.   

But, the brackets ( "Ivation" ) also appears to achieve what you are suggesting with the your own pine-and-cut DIY suggestion.  I guess it can't hear to show, no -

Basically, either method:  the apparatus 'suspends' the AC unit through the window aperture, without physically impacting/marring the window's physical components.  Definitely these are the recourse' for this issue. 

This is my first foray as a home owner into dealing with AC and replacement windows.  I don't have central air, and the previous windows were casings installed circa mid last Century - literally...not merely figuratively. They were that old. Sme were the earliest replacement technology, like 1978.  Yet others appeared original; the casings upstairs from somewhere between 1909 ( the home construction ), and the 1970s - wood and single pane, with glazing.  I mean, that's like neolithic at this point. 

So screwing A.C. units in and stuffing insulation foam around the edges was okay for the previous window sets...  But, now that I have replaced with these new ones, those/that is no longer soluble.   Seems like a simple thing ...but it is and isn't just the same.  I was imagining these solutions, but wasn't actually finding them on the web - possibly because I don't have patients for the Internet anymore since it become impractically weighted down in a morass of people trying to sell shit.  

The better days of the Internet ... roughly 1997 to 2002, are gone - everything after that takes a team of Google engineers to find what you want.  Almost as though it's by design too - get the money through the electronic sale, negotiate return or keep after. To avoid that it takes as long to parse through the ambitions of greed and/or special interest groups, as it did doing research back in the 1980s before using the god-damn thing.  Jesus .. Going on line now is an endless siege miss-direction to diverge your attention from the linear line of site targeted search - what?  in the off chance that you'll put down finding socks to become a gov hating Republican that thinks the hurricane frequency is caused by human rights for lesbians ?   It's just a morass now!  But that's a digression  ...

I tried searching for a while and my patience for it all is so thin to begin with I just figured I'd ask and sure enough ... within 10 replies, one trickles in that is a better start.  Thanks all!

Here's the pics anyways, The curtain brackets are about 1" wide so that sits in between the window and the wood support, Used automotive masking tape on the inside to seal the curtains against the sides of the window as it comes off when you need to remove it without residue.

IMG_6219-1.jpg

IMG_6220-1.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Here's the pics anyways, The curtain brackets are about 1" wide so that sits in between the window and the wood support, Used automotive masking tape on the inside to seal the curtains against the sides of the window as it comes off when you need to remove it without residue.

Cool!  Thanks for the idea/advice. 

2 hours ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Hey thanks for posting that. I was just about to search for one. We just replaced the old 13000 btu unit with a new 15000. What a difference and it runs nearly half as much...but weighs a ton!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Hey thanks for posting that. I was just about to search for one. We just replaced the old 13000 btu unit with a new 15000. What a difference and it runs nearly half as much...but weighs a ton!

do you have a picture of that unit, the new one ;)    ... part of this bracket shit is because I don't want to get a new A.C. and not have a way to install it.  I am now nearing the solution for the bracket - I need the unit.  I calculated the volume/ BTU and it came out to 9,XXX so 10 is probably just about right.

I could just go buy a lot version at Home Depot for 150 - but it'll be a piece of shit and won't last.

Tippy, @Typhoon Tipi just install my ACs right on top of the replacement window ledge. the little lip/hump on the bottom of the AC unit sits just outside the ledge that you have. the window on top holds it in place just fine. I wedge a piece of wood between the top of the bottom window sash and the bottom of the frame to make it so the window can't open. kind of like @Supernovicestated. Keep it simple.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

do you have a picture of that unit, the new one ;)    ... part of this bracket shit is because I don't want to get a new A.C. and not have a way to install it.  I am now nearing the solution for the bracket - I need the unit.  I calculated the volume/ BTU and it came out to 9,XXX so 10 is probably just about right.

I could just go buy a lot version at Home Depot for 150 - but it'll be a piece of shit and won't last.

I'll get you one later when I get home. The nice thing with the new one is the ease of installing. Its wicked easy to remove the guts and mount just the outer frame first saving great wear and tear on myself and the cheap ass replacement windows from the previous owners. It's a Frigidair from P.C. Richards. Not investing in something like this from a big box!

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Can you post a few pics of your lawn for further review? 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

@Typhoon TipWe have the exact same window sill at home and when we had window units we would just sit the unit in the opening resting on that raised lip and the top sash would hold the unit in place.  No screws, no blocking, just the weight of the unit pressing up against the top sash held it in.

Yeah. Unless you have a massive 18,000+BTU unit, don’t need brackets. I have screws to help Hold it, but generally the weight is good enough. 

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the coast is clearing out. You can see some kind of wave coming through from the west that is mixing it out and kicking it east.

Yeah no kidding ...that went quickly thru, too - swoosh. 

Also, you can make out an interesting low level cyclonic circulation over the open waters E of PSM, too - that may have helped delay those coastal regions

@Typhoon Tip I have a newer house and my windows look pretty similar to that. I just sat the AC (to be fair, it’s a small unit) right on that lip and closed the window. It’s been fine.

I’ll put a link at the end of this post. But I put these right above the closed window one the AC was in, to make sure nobody could accidentally open the window, or there wasn’t any shifting or moving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005H3N43K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I say this with love

A literal monkey could put a A.C unit in that window ..maybe you need to do a mod like adding a tiny piece of wood so it sits with a better tilt . This doesn’t require pages of discussion Geezus . Buy the Unit , put it in and enjoy the relief . I mean am I missing something ...it doesn’t need to be vacuum sealed To 1/100’th specifications 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2