Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I told you dumb dumb I had to remove the Eversource tree they cut down in June geezuz you did get hit by lightning.  So whats the plan big boy. I know but would like your advice on the widow makers. Have you ever used a chainsaw and dropped a tree, be honest now.

No I have not dropped trees 

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Couple of Darwin winners right there.  Idiots.

Well he cooked on his coal grill and thought it was out. He is 91 so he gets a pass from me. His daughter came over and thanked me. She is an ER nurse working nights but is with them during the day. It was windy that night during our very dry spell 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What's interesting about that thunderstorm is how rogue it was ... There is/was nothing else, anywhere.   That thing developed just west of HFD and moved precisely tracked to clip your location, and within ( guessin' by rad loop..) 5 minutes of your return from that run, it was almost entirely vanished from the radar scope.  Nada. No sign there was ever anything there in so much as a level 1 green clump down stream. It was as though the storm formed intended for your run  lol...

https://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KBOX&prod=BREF&bkgr=gray&endDate=20210714&endTime=-1&duration=4

I've had that happen though.  Cycling is bitch.  Mile 16 and 8 to go ... blinding rain and flashes and hold-up under a bridge.  Get home and find that it was a three pixel 50 dbz micro-core that lasted precisely as long as I was going to be passing through that neighborhood.   I usually lay low the rest of that day knowing that God is throwing bolts at me.  Some people ignore the signs HAHA

That is exactly what happened. As soon as I got inside .. a strike knocked out power for several minutes.. both teenage daughters were up which is unheard of at 5:30 AM and within 5 minutes it was gone . It literally ginned up for my run.  Almost like someone up above had something to do with it 

Could get pretty active with MCS potential during the second half of the month. Only thing we're missing which could result in some bigger severe threats is an EML. All the stupid EML plumes just get compromised as they move across the upper-Midwest (per the GFS anyways). Might just be missing a bit more of a trough signal at H7 across the PAC NW area

gfs-ens_z500aMean_us_9.png 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That is exactly what happened. As soon as I got inside .. a strike knocked out power for several minutes.. both teenage daughters were up which is unheard of at 5:30 AM and within 5 minutes it was gone . It literally ginned up for my run.  Almost like someone up above had something to do with it 

Step lightly the rest of the day my friend.   Don't take any chances.  Don't make any sudden movements. 

That's a shot across the bow - " its " giving you warning ... don't mess with it.

LOL

You know, you hear about these fluke accidents that defy absurdity - go beyond description.  On 495 like ...10 or 15 years ago, there was this freak thing. Some construction vehicle with a high-tension industrial spring-loaded boom was toolin' down the highway, said boom was negligently/insufficiently clamped. Now, that tech is mechanized/designed so that the spring-tension doesn't actually release it's stored energy ( aiding the extension of the gantry ), until the arm exceeds a certain extension.  So there it was, unclamped, fully spring loaded, bobbing gently up and down as it went over the highways surface "rosby waves", precariously ... just below said threshold. 

Anyone else's luck would have prevented what happened next.  

Some women was passing on the right as the truck went over some slightly more elevated rise in the road and that arm bobbed up, over the threshold, the spring releases ...and because it was not released in concert with the hydraulics ...it explosively released all at once and came down like a cosmic hammer on the woman's vehicle as she was passing... Flipped the truck, too - it was like so much rage targeting that hapless passing small vehicle it had to flip the whole truck like an angry pro-wrestler's move.  

Can you imagine going 74 mph and the equivalent of 10 ton out of no where, in a flash, instantly grinding your vehicle into a FUBAR smear down a quarter mile of sparks and smoke and twisted industry?  That's just beyond freak probability. That shit's something else. heh.  

You almost wonder if she was on a bike ride or a run that morning and nary missed -

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Could get pretty active with MCS potential during the second half of the month. Only thing we're missing which could result in some bigger severe threats is an EML. All the stupid EML plumes just get compromised as they move across the upper-Midwest (per the GFS anyways). Might just be missing a bit more of a trough signal at H7 across the PAC NW area

gfs-ens_z500aMean_us_9.png 

Get active? As if it hasn’t been 

14 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I’m a bit surprised how bullish BOX seems in their discussion for storms today but I agree with you. Just not feeling it in this airmass 

Well maybe in wrn areas. Too far east from any trigger point. This weekend may be active.

I love natural water as much as anyone, but we need to dry out. Otherwise everything will rot.

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well he cooked on his coal grill and thought it was out. He is 91 so he gets a pass from me. His daughter came over and thanked me. She is an ER nurse working nights but is with them during the day. It was windy that night during our very dry spell 

I did something similar when I was 10 or 11.  We had bbq'd and I told my dad that I would clean up.  I too thought the coals were out so I took the tin foil wrapped leftovers and threw them in the trash can, in our garage, next to my parent's new car.  A little while later we were sitting on the porch talking to a neighbor, ironically about a string of arsons in the area, when the neighbor said, "I can smell smoke now".  Yup, the trash in our garage was on fire.  My dad was not too impressed with my clean up skills!  The car, a new to them 1976 Buick Electra did not get damaged.

• Haha 1

Heh...looking at hi res vis loop, almost looks like this BD air mass has secluded itself.   S flow over the ocean and now cuts it off over top in NNE, leaves this latext paint spill clinging to the land from NYC to BOS ...

Can you imagine if just stayed that way until next June.  Whole year of that -

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh...looking at hi res vis loop, almost looks like this BD air mass has secluded itself.   S flow over the ocean and now cuts it off over top in NNE, leaves this latext paint spill clinging to the land from NYC to BOS ...

Can you imagine if just stayed that way until next June.  Whole year of that -

It must be like living in maritime Canada. No thanks 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What's interesting about that thunderstorm is how rogue it was ( seemingly targeted and intended may be a better description lol) ...

There is/was nothing else, anywhere else at the time.   That thing developed just west of HFD and moved precisely tracked to clip your location and run-rought ( here'e comes - get 'im).  Within 5 minutes of your return from that run, it was entirely vanished from the radar scope.  Nada. No sign there was ever anything there in so much as a level 1 green clump down stream.

https://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KBOX&prod=BREF&bkgr=gray&endDate=20210714&endTime=-1&duration=4

I've had that happen though.  Cycling is a bitch.  Mile 16 and 8 to go ... blinding rain and flashes and hold-up under a bridge.  Get home and find that it was a three pixel 50 dbz micro-core that lasted precisely as long as I was going to be passing through that neighborhood.   I usually lay low the rest of that day knowing that God is throwing bolts at me.  Some people ignore the signs HAHA

Just came across this . Here’s why the power went out 

4 hours ago, kdxken said:

Pouring rain sucks pretty bad too. Chafes the nipples.

Running in a warm rain, however can be fantastic, especially shirtless. 

One hazard or downside that can crop up however happened to me years ago.  I was in the middle of a fantastic run a number of years ago while visiting my parents in Princeton.  It was pouring and I was just carrying my drenched shirt at the point I reached campus.  I looked down around that time and saw bubbles going down both legs.  Apparently the last time I had washed them, my running shorts did not rinse properly so when the rain soaked into them, the remaining detergent decided to create a sea of froth down my thighs.  I had to keep stopping to wipe them off with the drenched t-shirt.

Lightning is dangerous, wind makes runs awful unless you can do a point to point with it at your back the whole way.

What the hell are y'all running in...  chafed nipples? 

I've been running 30 K/ week for years,   ...three 10 K runs, ... It's 6.2 miles, so 18.6 is a typical week.

I get black toe here and there - mainly because I forget to check my toe-nail length and that starts that.   Sometimes an edge of a toe-nail may at first, too gently poke an adjacent toe to notice, but over the course of many thousand foot falls... sometimes I don't feel that until I'm back and there's blood in my sock - not a lot, but oops. 

So, yeah, shit happens to runners.   But chafed nipples - how do you do that?

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What the hell are y'all running in...  chafed nipples? 

I've been running 30 K/ week for years,   ...three 10 K runs, ... It's 6.2 miles, so 18.6 is a typical week.

I get black toe here and there - mainly because I forget to check my toe-nail length and that starts that.   Sometimes an edge of a toe-nail my poke an adjacent toe if I am not careful, and sometimes I don't feel that until I'm back and there's blood in my sock - not a lot, but oops. 

sweat and tight shirts?

image.thumb.png.213f77d5d598527a29c09ab441bac8dd.png

This is secluded at this point... That region E, over the ocean, is more open sky than not and moving N with cloud tags.  Meanwhile, the region enclosed above is demonstrating on-going resistance, and cloud parcels ( looping this image ..) are moving over top.  I've likened it to white paint spilled on a freeway surface, with the cars ( cloud parcels ) and other traffic passing over it. It's like that.

When looping, it's almost as though it has a resistant polarity to free air, or an "electro static" kind of force holding it in place.

it's really like 75 mb of calm air inversion at the bottom. 

In any case, the edges of this region have been eroding inwards at the blazing speed of about 5 mph

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The ingredients for me tend to be cool weather, longer run, shirt wet from rain or sweat.  Bodyglide pre-run usually mitigates the risk, so does my podiatrists I can't run at the moment (9+ months at this point)

6 minutes ago, klw said:

The ingredients for me tend to be cool weather, longer run, shirt wet from rain or sweat.  Bodyglide pre-run usually mitigates the risk, so does my podiatrists I can't run at the moment (9+ months at this point)

wait ..are you female?   Not being a jerk - I don't know you. Heh.   let's face it, female physiology is a bit more ... "responsive" shall we say to cool settings. 

Something I have noticed in the past - ahahahaha.  No but its true