Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Gonna finish AOA normal for July 

Currently 5.2° BN for July.  Would take about +2.3 rest of month to finish AN, very doable.  Difference is in the maxima, currently about -9.5 while minima are <1° BN.  July to date (3.03") is 1/4" wetter than May-June combined.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This will be the first time I’ve ever agreed on that. At least for now. :lol:  hopefully we don’t stein in August. 

Why? We are all set for water for the rest of summer. Let's dry it out. Some people reported black spots on Tomatoes.  Luckily mine haven't started. I do love the deep green look all around. We need sun now. 10 of the last 11 days have seen rain. 7.88 this month. 34.78 on the year. Last year at this time I was at 22.10 YTD 

20210710_083446.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This will be the first time I’ve ever agreed on that. At least for now. :lol:  hopefully we don’t stein in August. 

We’ve made up ground the last 2 weekends, but still about 3-5” BN on the year here. CON is a little under 2” BN now after yesterday.

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why? We are all set for water for the rest of summer. Let's dry it out. Some people reported black spots on Tomatoes.  Luckily mine haven't started. I do love the deep green look all around. We need sun now. 10 of the last 11 days have seen rain. 7.88 this month. 34.78 on the year. Last year at this time I was at 22.10 YTD 

20210710_083446.jpg

We have a cherry tomato plant that is producing tons of fruit. In the last week or so it has been making some odd looking ones.  We are at over 50 tomatoes from that one hanging plant

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

20210710_083446.jpg

Because plants still need water even after inches of rain. After a week of heat, things like hydrangea can start to dry out. I have lots of plants.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Because plants still need water even after inches of rain. After a week of heat, things like hydrangea can start to dry out. I have lots of plants.

Here in the hinterlands we have these newfangled things called hoses, sprinklers, and watering cans.   Have those been available in the big city?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Here in the hinterlands we have these newfangled things called hoses, sprinklers, and watering cans.   Have those been available in the big city?

LOL it’s nice to not pay the massive MWRA water rates for once. I’m like a mini Stein. We have a lot of plants etc. I appreciate the natural help. 

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some of my neighbors bought rain barrels (they have big gardens/flower beds) which is odd since we all use private wells. 

I have them too. Just haven’t set them up the way I want. Got to do some fancy maneuvering of the downspouts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

20210710_083446.jpg

Your concord grape is looking as lush as mine, growing like crazy all over my yard. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The amount of water running out of hillsides , down driveways and just everywhere is unbelievable. There’s literally little rivers flowing out of stuff. Never have I seen that except maybe in that October back in the early 2000’s. 10.25” of rain in 9 days does that I guess

Is 1955 an analog for this summer? Got to be a little concerning for those with 10+ since 7/1.

48 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have a cherry tomato plant that is producing tons of fruit. In the last week or so it has been making some odd looking ones.  We are at over 50 tomatoes from that one hanging plant

That’s awesome. My tomato plants are finally fully recovered from the drought and severe heat in June. I did what I could to get out ahead of it, but it was too extreme as to not impose a shock. It was a several-week set back but plenty ripening outside right now...

Not to digress..but most amateur gardeners think their plants aren’t  producing much bc the soil is lacking nutrients—but if the plant itself is otherwise healthy and green, it’s most likely bc it is lacking water. Fruit and vegetables are ~90% water. The plant will conserve water, if water isn’t in surplus, and that means poor yield.

• Like 1