Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Only 1.5" here this week but looks like there's more moisture chances coming.  As I get older I've started despising warm season rain.  It's still a tug-of-war a bit but I can't explain it.  I love being outside at every chance possible during the longer daylight hours and rain seems to hinder that.  I feel like a retiree wanting to be in Arizona or something... just dry, sunshine, and long daylight.  Maybe we deal with too much cold season cloud/showery stuff and it alters my perception this time of year, but right now I want to be outside in shorts and t-shirt wandering around in the hills.  I'm already semi-hoping the modeled rain in the next few days is diminished or not as steady/sustained.

Can easily see the wet zone since July 1st.

Untitled.jpg.e02003ff70eb07829ec2851374f06b20.jpg

What's funny about that map is the max is 10.82". There a couple NVT cocorahs stations that had 12" total from 1/1/21 until today. That is Stein.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

What's funny about that map is the max is 10.82". There a couple NVT cocorahs stations that had 12" total from 1/1/21 until today. That is Stein.

Yeah and the funny thing is no one seems to want it to rain.  It’s always about getting a dry day in without any interruptions.  Tourists are out and about when it’s dry.  Town and mountain have been slammed so far, welcomed after last year.  Traffic can be annoying at times but it’s economically good.  The vacation recreation vibe has led to this “no rain” mentality I think… people are used to showery shitty weather being the norm I think.  Just enjoying this utopia of dry days and if it rains it’s at night.  This will end, it’ll rain for days at some point.

15 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

you're getting shafted again:thumbsdown:

If the mountains and coast each get 2-3" and I get only half as much, no complaints here.

My JJA average precip is 13.19".  It's ranged from 7.24" in 2002 to 23.82" seven years later.  Currently at 2.29", with July already with more than June.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and the funny thing is no one seems to want it to rain.  It’s always about getting a dry day in without any interruptions.  Tourists are out and about when it’s dry.  Town and mountain have been slammed so far, welcomed after last year.  Traffic can be annoying at times but it’s economically good.  The vacation recreation vibe has led to this “no rain” mentality I think… people are used to showery shitty weather being the norm I think.  Just enjoying this utopia of dry days and if it rains it’s at night.  This will end, it’ll rain for days at some point.

Oh, for sure it's great for summer tourist season and really for locals too being able to get out and do the mountain summer stuff.  Last summer was dry and hot up to this point, so the swimming at the local water holes was great.  Haven't done a ton of that this year though.  It's been an absolute zoo down here even with the crappy string of weather-I'm sure it's like that in all the touristy areas of New England, people are just itching to get out and explore after the past year and half.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

If the mountains and coast each get 2-3" and I get only half as much, no complaints here.

My JJA average precip is 13.19".  It's ranged from 7.24" in 2002 to 23.82" seven years later.  Currently at 2.29", with July already with more than June.

3.20" so far here for July, Where are you at Tom?

2 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Am I late to the game on the NWS doing away with point and click forecasts? 

Now I get a forecast for "Central Middlesex County". Have I just not been paying attention, or is this new?

Looks like BOX is just doing ZFPs. OKX still has point and click. Guess it's on an office-by-office basis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Won't someone think of the Vermont lawns, though? :( 

If it gets too high you won’t see the bear scat piles to avoid :lol:.

I’m still dying at your “lawn farmers” comment…. But in all honesty it goes back to last summer where it’s plenty green in lawns.  If a lawn can’t survive on 3-4”/month, someone is using the wrong grass seed in New England.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If it gets too high you won’t see the bear scat piles to avoid :lol:.

I’m still dying at your “lawn farmers” comment…. But in all honesty it goes back to last summer where it’s plenty green in lawns.  If a lawn can’t survive on 3-4”/month, someone is using the wrong grass seed in New England.

I'm figuring some folks over-cut and over-fuss with their lawns making them weak and more susceptible to drought. Like a woman using too much product and high heat on her hair and then wondering why it is frizzled and breaking.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm figuring some folks over-cut and over-fuss with their lawns making them weak and more susceptible to drought. Like a woman using too much product and high heat on her hair and then wondering why it is frizzled and breaking.

I have a lawn down in Dennis Port I have no idea what I'm doing I just water it often... Going to need tips when I get down there more often in older age lol

20 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

:clap:

Never ending river of moisture from Chicago westward... just waves of water on that run.

Of course it's an OP run but if you run it out, its hard to find an entirely dry 24 hour period in New England for like two weeks.  It's not raining everywhere all the time but there's QPF spit out somewhere every single day in the region.

• Like 1

Flooding is my irresponsible douche lust for excitement aspect of Met. I don't care to be in heat or ice or snow or whatever so much.  And I don't want the flood IN my basement, no... but it really is cool to look at. 

For some reason, the specter of play-ground slides barely sticking out of the water, with bottom limbs of bear-by sugar maples a mere 6 inches above the water level - haha..

We don't really get that around here unless it's like next to a river doing a Housatonic falls act... Which can be cool too -

Some of the mill towns along the Merrimack up in Lowell and Lawerence get pretty interesting ... 2005? 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Flooding is my irresponsible douche lust for excitement aspect of Met. I don't care to be in heat or ice or snow or whatever so much.  And I don't want the flood IN my basement, no... but it really is cool to look at. 

For some reason, the specter of play-ground slides barely sticking out of the water, with bottom limbs of bear-by sugar maples a mere 6 inches above the water level - haha..

We don't really get that around here unless it's like next to a river doing a Housatonic falls act...

Some of the mill towns along the Merrimack up in Lowell and Lawerence get pretty interesting ... 2005? 

Spring of 06 too.