Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Disc/obs 2021

George BM

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Wow, can smell the smoke outside

Gardening at 9:00 AM here and thought my neighbors nearby were burning yard waste, but is was the smell of smoke. Funny thing I was not ready to accept it was from the forrest fires yet,  I thought I would be able to smell the smoke,  but not first thing this morning.  

Crazy times   

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

Pretty smoky up my way today, just a dense haze. Hint of smell of it. Woke up congested too, not sure if related. 

FYI

PAZ057-059-063-065-066-210400-
Dauphin-Lebanon-Cumberland-York-Lancaster-
330 PM EDT Mon Jul 19 2021

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FOR TUESDAY JULY 20...

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has
issued a Code ORANGE Air Quality Alert on Tuesday for the
Susquehanna Valley.

A Code ORANGE Air Quality Alert means that air pollution
concentrations within the region may become unhealthy for
sensitive groups. Sensitive groups include children, people
suffering from asthma, heart disease or other lung diseases,
and the elderly. The effects of air pollution can be minimized
by avoiding strenuous activity or exercise outdoors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dailylurker said:

This is another thing I don't remember as a kid. I don't remember smoke from wildfires until about 10 years ago.

I was a teen in Harrisburg PA in the early 00s and I remember one day in August maybe 2001/2002 when there was a shocking level of wildfire smoke that made the sky brown/visibility terrible. It was much worse than what we currently have. IIRC it was due to some big wildfires in Quebec. But that stood out to me because I had never seen it before. I've been in the DC region 10 years now and I do remember some gray/hazy days due to smoke, but this one seems unique.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Models switched to hot and dry for next week with a quickness. Ops look a bit more aggressive than ensembles, but still.

This week is as advertised-normal temps and dry, but by the weekend temps and humidity will begin to creep up. Should be some scattered storm chances too esp late in the weekend into next week. Late July in the MA is never comfy for very long.

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This week is as advertised-normal temps and dry, but by the weekend temps and humidity will begin to creep up. Should be some scattered storm chances too esp late in the weekend into next week. Late July in the MA is never comfy for very long.

Thursday-Saturday this week looks pretty nice. It was looking like maybe we’d get another cold front early next week to keep that going. Now, not so much. 

7 hours ago, frd said:

FYI

PAZ057-059-063-065-066-210400-
Dauphin-Lebanon-Cumberland-York-Lancaster-
330 PM EDT Mon Jul 19 2021

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FOR TUESDAY JULY 20...

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has
issued a Code ORANGE Air Quality Alert on Tuesday for the
Susquehanna Valley.

A Code ORANGE Air Quality Alert means that air pollution
concentrations within the region may become unhealthy for
sensitive groups. Sensitive groups include children, people
suffering from asthma, heart disease or other lung diseases,
and the elderly. The effects of air pollution can be minimized
by avoiding strenuous activity or exercise outdoors.

Thanks! Down on the lower eastern shore now, huge difference in the level of smoke from my area compared to Salisbury. We could barely make out downtown Baltimore when we traveled over the Key Bridge. Could make out the high rises and nothing else, on a clear day you can see beyond the city from the bridge. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dailylurker said:

This is another thing I don't remember as a kid. I don't remember smoke from wildfires until about 10 years ago.

I lived in Winnipeg Canada in the middle 1970’s. The smoke was unbearable… driving from Grand Forks ND to Winnipeg, there would be wildfires burning everywhere . And nobody cared, because there was nothing to burn there but peat and grasses. Thought  I was going to h*ll.

These fires burn naturally. Spontaneous combustion. They are not a new thing at all.

5 hours ago, Stradivarious said:

I lived in Winnipeg Canada in the middle 1970’s. The smoke was unbearable… driving from Grand Forks ND to Winnipeg, there would be wildfires burning everywhere . And nobody cared, because there was nothing to burn there but peat and grasses. Thought  I was going to h*ll.

These fires burn naturally. Spontaneous combustion. They are not a new thing at all.

I understand these fires have been occurring for thousands of years. I just don't remember seeing the smoke in my backyard until recently. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stradivarious said:

Spontaneous combustion? As in piles of hay catching fire as a result of biological impetus and eventual chemical reactions? Seems more likely that they would start from lightning strikes.

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic