Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Disc/obs 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

well, I didn’t get my over performer either. Heard thunder though, so I’ll take that as a win.

B)      I ended up with a nice storm with a decent soaking - definitely  a win.     I expected the best chance to occur around now (where there are few cells scattered to my north and northwest, but instability has been somewhat wiped out), but I didn't expect the initial afternoon cells to crank out such a strong outflow boundary that helped initiate storms further south much earlier.    But ultimately, the guidance that showed storms generally staying in north/northwest of Howard and Montgomery Counties ended up being pretty accurate.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, high risk said:

B)      I ended up with a nice storm with a decent soaking - definitely  a win.     I expected the best chance to occur around now (where there are few cells scattered to my north and northwest, but instability has been somewhat wiped out), but I didn't expect the initial afternoon cells to crank out such a strong outflow boundary that helped initiate storms further south much earlier.    But ultimately, the guidance that showed storms generally staying in north/northwest of Howard and Montgomery Counties ended up being pretty accurate.

Interesting.    The guidance had been suggesting that early evening had the best potential over north central MD, and the radar is lighting up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

The storm in eastern BaltCo and Harford took all the mojo. That looks like a beast. 

Got clipped by that one, rumbled for a while as it went by.

storm out west right now has been rumbling a lot too, probably will miss me too 

8 hours ago, mappy said:

Got clipped by that one, rumbled for a while as it went by.

storm out west right now has been rumbling a lot too, probably will miss me too 

My parents in Bel Air said that storm last evening was the most intense one they’ve had in a long time. Torrential rain and lots of close lightning.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My parents in Bel Air said that storm last evening was the most intense one they’ve had in a long time. Torrential rain and lots of close lightning.

Yeah, that was sad watching the storm near us crumble and then everything explode up in northeast MD.

39 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I believe it. We had a brief period of rain as the eastern edge came by, but the thunder was pretty loud for a storm that was half a county away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I believe it. We had a brief period of rain as the eastern edge came by, but the thunder was pretty loud for a storm that was half a county away

Did you hear the round that moved into PA around midnight?  When those storms were in western Carroll county I was watching the lightning on the tower cam and those cumulonimbus clouds looked alive like Thor was setting off nuclear bombs!  Not long after that and over a county away we could hear the deep rumbles.  Went out on the deck to watch and was impressed by the impact of said rumbling.

54 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Did you hear the round that moved into PA around midnight?  When those storms were in western Carroll county I was watching the lightning on the tower cam and those cumulonimbus clouds looked alive like Thor was setting off nuclear bombs!  Not long after that and over a county away we could hear the deep rumbles.  Went out on the deck to watch and was impressed by the impact of said rumbling.

I did, well earlier than midnight anyways. Was rumbling pretty good from about 1030 until I fell asleep around 1130. Mr. Map said before he came to bed (around midnight) there was a really close strike that shook the house. We didn't get any rain out of it, so just missed here. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mappy said:

I did, well earlier than midnight anyways. Was rumbling pretty good from about 1030 until I fell asleep around 1130. Mr. Map said before he came to bed (around midnight) there was a really close strike that shook the house. We didn't get any rain out of it, so just missed here. 

There's something about dry thunder especially if you've been to the southwestern USA.

And yeah I didn't realize how early I hit the sheets last night!  The timestamp from the video is 22:44.  Thunder was barely audible then but just 10 minutes later it was rocking and rolling!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Got luck today.   Series of developing storms tracked directly over me.  By far, best rain I've seen all year.  By a mile.  Pushing 1" of desperately needed rain.

Lucky with everything sliding or developing just 1/4 mile Noeth of me ended with 0.01 for the day yesterday. 

With the amount of humidity that pooled on all the windows this morning hoping we get some storms here today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

Lucky with everything sliding or developing just 1/4 mile Noeth of me ended with 0.01 for the day yesterday. 

With the amount of humidity that pooled on all the windows this morning hoping we get some storms here today. 

I made the mistake of watering the flowers last night at 9:30....20 minutes later a quick pop-up shower formed and then turned into that amazing light show.  Maybe I should water the flowers this afternoon to spurn the storms for the late afternoon/evening :-) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toolsheds said:

I made the mistake of watering the flowers last night at 9:30....20 minutes later a quick pop-up shower formed and then turned into that amazing light show.  Maybe I should water the flowers this afternoon to spurn the storms for the late afternoon/evening :-) 

Washing the car is a good modern day rain dance! ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Remember all those 'awful' cool days we had in late Spring, and everyone was yearning for summer heat?

B)

That wasn't me.  I treasured every BN temp day like it was the first Coke slurpee you get out of the machine

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic