Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Disc/obs 2021

George BM

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

I have tried everything. I let it grow and only mow it to 4" starting in June. This time of year with the high sun most of my "yard" gets blasted with sun for 6 hours plus. But yeah the soil is a silty/sandy loam with no clay and it is excessively well drained. My grass area is surrounded by woods, so the tree roots are sucking the moisture and nutrients from below. I have tried literally every type/brand/blend of cool season tall fescue. Beginning to think with the shifting climate it may be time to try a warm season grass. Barely gets below 25 here anymore lol. Actually, I want a hardscape. So done with grass.

I have an area in my yard that's the same way. It's in area where Beech trees suck the soil dry of nutrients. I ended up giving up and putting down stone to cut down on erosion.

• Like 1

Hey Guys 30 years as a Golf Course Superintendent at Private Clubs if you need a little help with your lawn be glad to give some advice!  We can def grow Tall Fescue in your areas just need to change up a couple things, let me know if you need some turf Tips!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChillinIt said:

Hey Guys 30 years as a Golf Course Superintendent at Private Clubs if you need a little help with your lawn be glad to give some advice!  We can def grow Tall Fescue in your areas just need to change up a couple things, let me know if you need some turf Tips!

Welcome any suggestions you may have.  Echo'ing CAPE's comments about what a challenge it is to grow grass around here.  I mulch leaves in the fall, put down lime to offset the acid based clay soil and mulch the clippings with Gator blades.  The popular trees along the back of our yard just suck all the nutrition out of the soil. In the spring the grass grows like gangbusters until the poplars break out in leaves and then it's like the grass puts the brakes on.  

Some years ago I reclaimed a half acre of our yard in front, which is interlaced with maples and 6 very large white pines.  Used a power landscape rake to wind-row the rocks and debris.  Hauled out 3 dump trucks and 2 30 yd dumpsters full of stumps, rocks and debris.  Spread over 200 cubic yards of 50/50 (topsoil and compost) and put down over 300 lbs of grass seed.  The end results were to grow a nice 1/2 acre plot of weeds.  The grass starts reasonably strong in the spring and then goes to weeds when it gets warm.  

• Like 1

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
301 AM EDT Tue Jul 6 2021

MDZ003>006-008-011-507-508-WVZ051>053-061515-
/O.NEW.KLWX.HT.Y.0002.210706T1500Z-210707T0000Z/
Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-Cecil-
Southern Baltimore-Northwest Harford-Southeast Harford-Morgan-
Berkeley-Jefferson-
Including the cities of Hagerstown, Frederick, Ballenger Creek,
Eldersburg, Westminster, Reisterstown, Cockeysville, Elkton,
Baltimore, Jarrettsville, Aberdeen, Paw Paw, Martinsburg,
Charles Town, and Shepherdstown
301 AM EDT Tue Jul 6 2021

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM EDT
THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Heat index values around 100 degrees west of the Catoctin
  Mountains and around 105 degrees east of the Catoctin Mountains.

* WHERE...The eastern panhandle of West Virginia, north-central,
  and northeastern Maryland including Baltimore.

* WHEN...From 11 AM this morning to 8 PM EDT this evening.

* IMPACTS...Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat
  illnesses to occur.

10 hours ago, ChillinIt said:

8 hours ago, RDM said:

Welcome any suggestions you may have.  Echo'ing CAPE's comments about what a challenge it is to grow grass around here.  I mulch leaves in the fall, put down lime to offset the acid based clay soil and mulch the clippings with Gator blades.  The popular trees along the back of our yard just suck all the nutrition out of the soil. In the spring the grass grows like gangbusters until the poplars break out in leaves and then it's like the grass puts the brakes on.  

Some years ago I reclaimed a half acre of our yard in front, which is interlaced with maples and 6 very large white pines.  Used a power landscape rake to wind-row the rocks and debris.  Hauled out 3 dump trucks and 2 30 yd dumpsters full of stumps, rocks and debris.  Spread over 200 cubic yards of 50/50 (topsoil and compost) and put down over 300 lbs of grass seed.  The end results were to grow a nice 1/2 acre plot of weeds.  The grass starts reasonably strong in the spring and then goes to weeds when it gets warm.  

Lets continue this discussion in the Lawn/garden thread.

• Thanks 1

Current conditions at

Baltimore / Martin (KMTN)

Lat: 39.33°NLon: 76.42°WElev: 23ft.

Partly Cloudy

90°F

32°C

Humidity 75%
Wind Speed SE 13 mph
Barometer 30.00 in
Dewpoint 81°F (27°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 109°F (43°C)
Last update 6 Jul 2:55 pm EDT

200w.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herb@MAWS said:

When did BWI become the new heat island?!

They have consistently been warmer than both DC airports. 

Since they expanded for the new (and enormous) Southwest terminal. You're not the first to notice.

Edit: I think WxUSAF is in the ballpark with the 2017 guess. And the reason

• Like 2

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yes.  This looks like the HHH days of yesteryear. 

It does. Truth is we still have plenty of particulates in the air these days. The east coast haze is usually the result of heat and humidity- plenty of water vapor and pollutants congealing, along with stagnant conditions. Pretty good cap today up around 850 mb and weak low level flow, so it cant mix out.

• Like 2

Me and my wife were talking about the sky today, definitely hazier compared to last week with same temps, but the sky this afternoon was still pretty blue.  Growing up in ATL in the 80’s and 90’s you would never see blue sky in the summer, even here in the 2000’s the sky seemed hazier.  Is it because the air is cleaner?  Seems we don’t have nearly as many orange or even red air quality days now.  Thought?  Am I imagining things or is the air actually way cleaner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Me and my wife were talking about the sky today, definitely hazier compared to last week with same temps, but the sky this afternoon was still pretty blue.  Growing up in ATL in the 80’s and 90’s you would never see blue sky in the summer, even here in the 2000’s the sky seemed hazier.  Is it because the air is cleaner?  Seems we don’t have nearly as many orange or even red air quality days now.  Thought?  Am I imagining things or is the air actually way cleaner.

Air quality is WAY better than it was 10-20 years ago. 

I think some of the haze today is smoke from Canadian wildfires.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GATECH said:

There better be significantly less pollutants today than there were back then, with all the measures in place to reduce sources of air pollution/emissions. That said, we can still get days where the pollutants are of high enough concentrations for air quality alerts, as was the case today for some parts of the region. The air was relatively stagnant with a temperature inversion, and not much mixing for much of the day. That is conducive for haze in a hot air mass with significant water vapor content. Last week even though the upper ridge was more impressive, the lower part of the atmosphere was well mixed, and drier air tended to work in during the afternoon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Per WPC, there is Slight risk of Excessive rainfall for eastern areas late Thursday into Friday- basically along and east of the Bay.

Lucky. 

HWRF, Euro, and GGEM still give me significant rain. Huggin’.

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic