Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Disc/obs 2021

George BM

6 hours ago, nj2va said:

57 and partly sunny in Deep Creek - a bit chilly but good to get some yard work done to get the house ready for the 4th.  We’re hosting my family for the holiday (through next Thursday), including 5 kids under the age of 10.  Thank God for booze.

Still...this sounds like SO much fun!! Enjoy, my friend! Mrs. V and I are headed south for Gatlinburg and Nashville for the 4th and the rest of the holiday week because, well, because we've never been there!  :D 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nice t-storm here now. Pouring. Got this shot of it rolling in. Upper low with cold air aloft is pretty cool stuff in July. Don't need much surface instability- the steep lapse rates get it done.

boom.thumb.jpg.7c35f102bb784603e97c6951a5da269f.jpg

Yeah, have been eyeing radar all afternoon....looks like your side of the Bay was most affected so far this afternoon, and I wondered if you were getting hit in your location. GREAT pic.  :) 

• Like 1

Just now, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, have been eyeing radar all afternoon....looks like your side of the Bay was most affected so far this afternoon, and I wondered if you were getting hit in your location. GREAT pic.  :) 

Direct hit with this one. Some small hail too. Pretty impressive. Better than anything I got with the "main event" lol.

• Like 3

The weather this coming week looks similar to last, but probably not as hot. Heat and humidity will be on the increase after today. With a trough developing over the OV, and a HP over the WA, looks like another slow moving frontal boundary late week with plenty of moisture in a SW flow. Possible heavy rain threat again Thursday into Friday. Any impacts from Elsa TBD, but latest runs of the GFS depict a rapidly weakening low over the SE that dissipates.  

gfs_mslp_pwat_us_20.png

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Still...this sounds like SO much fun!! Enjoy, my friend! Mrs. V and I are headed south for Gatlinburg and Nashville for the 4th and the rest of the holiday week because, well, because we've never been there!  :D 

Oh yeah, we’re loving every minute of it!  Have a great time there, hope you packed your boots and cowboy hat!

66 and partly sunny after a low of 56.  Happy 4th y’all!  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Nice to see rain chances going down on my point and click for later this week. Looking forward to some dry weather. Mosquitoes and mud have been the norm here this season so far. We have had some beautiful days though. 

Looks like we might get into an area of subsidence on the west side of the remnants of Elsa as it passes offshore. That may somewhat negate chances for widespread showers/storms as the front approaches from the west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Looks like we might get into an area of subsidence on the west side of the remnants of Elsa as it passes offshore. That may somewhat negate chances for widespread showers/storms as the front approaches from the west. 

That would be a bummer. After 95 plus heat will need rain by then.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

My grass is starting to burn up, right on schedule lol. No amount of rain will save it- I had over 8" here last July and it didn't matter.

Yes,  I can relate to that. Even with premier fescue its hard to battle against the long days and sun angle at this time of year.

Another issue is the depth of my top soil and the front is sloped so it is harder to keep it green, however, my back looks decent still.  

But, in 8 weeks I will re-seed with the climo shift, the shorter days becomes a plus not a negative. 

I have discovered recently after 20 years of re-seeding that you can re-seed in Sept if you are able to water,  versus October, with the new end of October cold spell becoming almost predictable.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CAPE said:

My grass is starting to burn up, right on schedule lol. No amount of rain will save it- I had over 8" here last July and it didn't matter.

That's pretty crazy. It looks like you live in a wooded area too. It looks like it can't get more the 4-5 hours of direct sun. It must be pure sand under a thin layer of topsoil. Try leaving the grass longer when cutting it? Over here is mainly red clay. It gets swampy and stays that way in shaded areas like the woods for a long time. I've made sandy loam in my garden plots. They drain well and dry faster. I mulch my plants to hold water in. 

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

That's pretty crazy. It looks like you live in a wooded area too. It looks like it can't get more the 4-5 hours of direct sun. It must be pure sand under a thin layer of topsoil. Try leaving the grass longer when cutting it? Over here is mainly red clay. It gets swampy and stays that way in shaded areas like the woods for a long time. I've made sandy loam in my garden plots. They drain well and dry faster. I mulch my plants to hold water in. 

I have tried everything. I let it grow and only mow it to 4" starting in June. This time of year with the high sun most of my "yard" gets blasted with sun for 6 hours plus. But yeah the soil is a silty/sandy loam with no clay and it is excessively well drained. My grass area is surrounded by woods, so the tree roots are sucking the moisture and nutrients from below. I have tried literally every type/brand/blend of cool season tall fescue. Beginning to think with the shifting climate it may be time to try a warm season grass. Barely gets below 25 here anymore lol. Actually, I want a hardscape. So done with grass.

1 hour ago, frd said:

Yes,  I can relate to that. Even with premier fescue its hard to battle against the long days and sun angle at this time of year.

Another issue is the depth of my top soil and the front is sloped so it is harder to keep it green, however, my back looks decent still.  

But, in 8 weeks I will re-seed with the climo shift, the shorter days becomes a plus not a negative. 

I have discovered recently after 20 years of re-seeding that you can re-seed in Sept if you are able to water,  versus October, with the new end of October cold spell becoming almost predictable.  

I started reseeding in mid August last year. Soil is nice and warm and the sun angle is low enough at that point. Being in the woods, I need the grass to get established before the leaves start raining down.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic