• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Disc/obs 2021

George BM

Near Reston and got .19 inches of rain I feel ripped off, the main line was weakest over me and the cell that merged with it in fairfax formed too Far East. Everywhere near me got more rain and we were surrounded by storms. Ughh and we need the rain since we are going into July.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I only got sprinkles for what its worth. Line formed too far to my south and despite its slow crawl north, just clipped me. 

I just wont some decent rain so I don't have to get the sprinkler out lol. Getting close to that time. Uncanny how many storms have just missed in the last few weeks. Getting loud cracks of thunder now, but not going to get any rain from this one. The one right behind it looks semi-interesting.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I just wont some decent rain so I don't have to get the sprinkler out lol. Getting close to that time. Uncanny how many storms have just missed in the last few weeks. Getting loud cracks of thunder now, but not going to get any rain from this one. The one right behind it looks semi-interesting.

I'm the opposite. I get flooded every time there's a chance of a storm. Been a swamp here for years. Powers out, tree branches everywhere and lots of standing water. Probably had at least 3 inches so far. Probably closer to 4". 

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

I'm the opposite. I get flooded every time there's a chance of a storm. Been a swamp here for years. Powers out, tree branches everywhere and lots of standing water. Probably had at least 3 inches so far. Probably closer to 4". 

Used to be that way here too lol. Its been probably average this Spring/summer, rainfall wise. Just missed on some good t-storms though.

• Like 1

That was a fun storm. Moved through quick though. Est. winds of 40-45 mph and lots of T&L. Only 0.33" in the rain gauge but it was going sideways so probably had a bit more.

Maybe some general rain later tonight and into tomorrow. A half inch or so would be nice.

Far cry from the 2-4" predicted a couple days ago.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Just today?

That seems a tad high lol. Those storms were moving at a good clip.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CAPE said:

If you don't have a rain gauge or don't trust your rain gauge, this is usually spot on. I have posted the link before, but here it is again..

https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

Looks like Crofton area received 1.5 - 2" today. Jelly.

Yeah. It came down so hard it seemed that way. Looking at doppler estimates it was 2-2.5". Bullseye though lol

7 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

On a line from Bethesda to Wheaton to Silver Spring to Greenbelt looks like isolated 1”+ in 10-15 minutes.  That’s equal to lowest visibility ever for me in rain .

I can verify that.  I just measured to confirm that at the height of the rain, I could not see a house that is 65 yards away.  I've never lost sight of that house before in a rainstorm.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I can verify that.  I just measured to confirm that at the height of the rain, I could not see a house that is 65 yards away.  I've never lost sight of that house before in a rainstorm.

Your earlier report was much like mine.  In the Snowmaggedon 8-10am white out I could not see the house across the street and in the July 2010 extreme thunderstorm I nearly lost sight of it and same extremely low visibility today.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

If you don't have a rain gauge or don't trust your rain gauge, this is usually spot on. I have posted the link before, but here it is again..

https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

Looks like Crofton area received 1.5 - 2" today. Jelly.

Thank you!

Just glad to some nice rain for the grass and to protect the neighborhood from the war zone that’s about to kick off this weekend :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

NAM looks like it blows things up again this evening/tonight with some more good action. Even has some stray activity both Friday and even Saturday.

Definitely.     There have been a few lame runs here and there, but guidance has overall been fairly consistent showing that the severe threat was this afternoon, and the threat for widespread heavy rain is in the late evening and overnight hours.     Radar shows that this scenario is on track.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

Definitely.     There have been a few lame runs here and there, but guidance has overall been fairly consistent showing that the severe threat was this afternoon, and the threat for widespread heavy rain is in the late evening and overnight hours.     Radar shows that this scenario is on track.

Radar actually looks really underwhelming to me right now unless it really starts to blow up soon. NAM shows really heavy rain/storms beginning over the metro in about an hour or two but radar certainly doesn't look that impressive. There's a little batch out by Leesburg but that's about it.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic