Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Completely new. I still have the five gallon system but this will allow me to do 10 or even 15 gallon batches. All of this started because I got a great deal on three 20 gallon Blichman kettles. Then I thought, “Well, if you’re going to have these, then you’re gong to need…”

Of course by the time I’m done, I’ll probably have spent a small fortune, but that’s what hobbies are for. Besides, I’ve had a part time job in addition to my “real” job all my life, so I’m not going to feel bad about tossing money around.

By the way, it was @losetoa6 that put in the 240, 30 amp breaker for me in the garage. I did the grunt wiring but I don’t play with electrical panels.

Ha I know how that goes. Gotta have fun and if its something you enjoy, go for it and do it right. The control stuff is easy wiring and all low voltage DC. I would assume the PID temp controllers accept an RTD or thermocouple input directly in a temperature application such as this. Otherwise it could be a 4-20 mA loop with a transducer. I would think the temp sensor(s) are RTD(Pt-100) as a J or K thermocouple is not ideal- probably not accurate enough for maintaining mash temp within the tolerances you would want.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Ha I know how that goes. Gotta have fun and if its something you enjoy, go for it and do it right. The control stuff is easy wiring and all low voltage DC. I would assume the PID temp controllers accept an RTD or thermocouple input directly in a temperature application such as this. Otherwise it could be a 4-20 mA loop with a transducer. I would think the temp sensor(s) are RTD(Pt-100) as a J or K thermocouple is not ideal- probably not accurate enough for maintaining mash temp within the tolerances you would want.

You're talking Greek, but yes, RTD

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Kettles and the recirculating coil in the HLT. There’s a sparge arm in the mash tun. I don’t have the two heating elements yet for the HLT or boil kettles, but I have instructions on how to make them. Though my guess is I’ll buy them pre made. Putting together the control panel is saving me a lot.

image.jpeg.1505e7716164ca9c424e4cd5a400f588.jpeg

image.jpeg.bdd91e519f2edcbb7724a29a8d64fe95.jpeg

I would think this company would give you a simple procedure for setting the PID tuning parameters in the controllers for ideal temp control without overshoot and cycling. That stuff can get complicated, but knowing the size of the vessels, flow rates, sensor location, and heat transfer rates are what determine the correct tuning values.

32 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I would think this company would give you a simple procedure for setting the PID tuning parameters in the controllers for ideal temp control without overshoot and cycling. That stuff can get complicated, but knowing the size of the vessels, flow rates, sensor location, and heat transfer rates are what determine the correct tuning values.

It’s not a company. Just a build. I bought all the components from Auber instruments.

And all brewery stuff from online brew shops and used from where I work.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It’s not a company. Just a build. I bought all the components from Auber instruments.

And all brewery stuff from online brew shops and used from where I work.

Gotcha. An integrated system. When you get to the point of adjusting the P, I, and D values, the general rules for temperature loops apply, and small scale systems tend to be pretty fast responding and easier to tune. Probably plenty of rules of thumb shared on the home brewing forums.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 7:59 AM, CentredMan said:

Nice, just missed you but I bet we can play the name game for sure. We lived in West End colony. I played fastpitch and slow pitch softball too, along with little league baseball. Talk about the softball experience with my daughter‘s softball teams. Never heard about the Frisbee golf course tho. Once a Falcon, Always a Falcon!

Cool - Went to West End rather frequently.  Good to know you enjoyed the softball too.  I was the first non-Indian to win the fast-pitch batting title.  Batted .610 my first year/season, but only .408 the second year.  The Indians were really good at both slow and fast pitch in all positions; especially their pitching.  Never played fast-pitch before going there and was amazing at their skills.  Ravi Kumar, Madan Ram, and a couple others were stars.  In slow pitch, we used unlimited arc with a strike mat behind home plate.  Madan Ram could throw it 40 feet up and pick the corners.  Strike outs were very common.   

Was just checking out Google Earth and it looks like starting in June 2020 and going through at least May 2021 the softball field was used as a staging area for construction.  Appears as though they are rebuilding the entire housing compound and ACSA.  Would be interesting to see first-hand what they are doing. 

The frisbee golf "course" was just a series of "holes" we setup after one especially intoxicating happy hour at ACSA (don't ask...). The 18 holes started at apt 48 on the housing compound and just worked our way around the housing compound, over to the American school and back.  For instance, the 4th hole was to tee off from home plate on the softball field and then hit the distance sign in center field - was a par 3.  Then T off on the sidewalk in front of the main entrance doors to ACSA and hit the double doors on the boiler room in the back of GSA - was a par 4.  Had a couple par 5's over at the American school because there was more distance to play with.  We all had to use the same Indian style frisbee we purchased at Khan Market so nobody had an advantage.  They were pieces of crap wrt a real Frisbee here in the USA, but that made for half of the fun.  Was a way to pass the time on Saturday's, especially in the Summer when most of the families cleared out for R&R. We played every Saturday no matter the weather.  T off was noon sharp and the temps were often 120F+.  Then monsoons came in and we still played.  The downpours made for some interesting throws.  Good memories.  

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Has anyone been to a concert at Hershey Park Stadium?  We're taking the kids next weekend to see Guns N Roses, and I've heard nightmare stories about the traffic leaving the show.  

I saw Bruce Springsteen there several years ago. I remember it took a while to get out but I didn’t think it was any worse then trying to leave a lot at an Eagles game or any other highly attended event. But I tend to be pretty patient so maybe it was bad. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I saw Bruce Springsteen there several years ago. I remember it took a while to get out but I didn’t think it was any worse then trying to leave a lot at an Eagles game or any other highly attended event. But I tend to be pretty patient so maybe it was bad. 

Thanks.  Good to know.  I was reading reviews suggesting it took some folks 3-4 hours.  

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks.  Good to know.  I was reading reviews suggesting it took some folks 3-4 hours.  

My wife took my daughter to see Taylor Swift there and it took about 2 hours to get out of the lot.  Since then we have been season pass members for the park and would go up for the day during a concert event and be able to park right by the stadium.  Last time we left during the last encore song, could still hear the song as we were driving away and were out in less than a minute.  If you want to go that route, google the setlist for the GNR tour and you will get a sense of what is playing that night and the order they will play itm and you can anticipate the encore and jet as it starts. :-)

41 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

My wife took my daughter to see Taylor Swift there and it took about 2 hours to get out of the lot.  Since then we have been season pass members for the park and would go up for the day during a concert event and be able to park right by the stadium.  Last time we left during the last encore song, could still hear the song as we were driving away and were out in less than a minute.  If you want to go that route, google the setlist for the GNR tour and you will get a sense of what is playing that night and the order they will play itm and you can anticipate the encore and jet as it starts. :-)

Fantastic idea!  Thanks!  Do you happen to know if they allow traffic to exit on both Park Blvd and Hersheypark Way?  Park Blvd seems like it'd be a quick way out, so I was thinking of parking near that exit, but if Park Blvd is closed, then I'll be at the end of the line.

10 hours ago, H2O said:

Into the breach one last time. Final swim meet and swim team fatigue is 10/10. After today I get my weekends back. 

Seriously burned out with swim meets this year, to make matters worse my son was on the neighborhood tennis team, so we had swim/tennis meets Mon, Wed, Sat and Sunday…that doesn’t even count daily practices.  Swim Banquet tonight at the pool aka Neighborhood drunk night.  The parents don’t even pretend to hide the booze at the pool tonight!  One more week of work then off to a well earned vacation in Maine!  Gotta start looking for my long sleeved shirts and a jacket!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GATECH said:

Seriously burned out with swim meets this year, to make matters worse my son was on the neighborhood tennis team, so we had swim/tennis meets Mon, Wed, Sat and Sunday…that doesn’t even count daily practices.  Swim Banquet tonight at the pool aka Neighborhood drunk night.  The parents don’t even pretend to hide the booze at the pool tonight!  One more week of work then off to a well earned vacation in Maine!  Gotta start looking for my long sleeved shirts and a jacket!

Our banquet is tomorrow. We gave up doing a banquet same day as Divisionals. It was just too much. But it’s a serious drinky night for parents. We earned that shyt. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Fantastic idea!  Thanks!  Do you happen to know if they allow traffic to exit on both Park Blvd and Hersheypark Way?  Park Blvd seems like it'd be a quick way out, so I was thinking of parking near that exit, but if Park Blvd is closed, then I'll be at the end of the line.

I only recall traffic flow right by the exit at the stadium, but I don't see why they wouldn't let those who are parked closer to the arena to leave from the "backdoor" onto Park avenue.   You probably could call an ask in order to plan ahead.  I do think that since the park stays open later now, the issue was with park traffic and concert traffic leaving at the same time....causing a cluster. 

15 hours ago, H2O said:

Our banquet is tomorrow. We gave up doing a banquet same day as Divisionals. It was just too much. But it’s a serious drinky night for parents. We earned that shyt. 

We had our party last night. We hosted divisionals, then had setup for the party at 5. Party went until 10:30. It was a ton of fun (they do an awesome video "swim show" every year), but exhausting.

We're heading up to the pool today, and it'll be nice to just be there for the kids to swim.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

At the Walmart in Ellicott City today and many more unvaccinated people than vaccinated people.. A LOT more.  

Its so weird too.. there is no shortage... you can walk in to any pharmacy anywhere and get the shot... yet most people in Howard County are unvaccinated.  

Did you take a poll?

And without even looking I can guarantee you Howard county is in the top 5 in vaccination rate among MD counties.

Uncanny how misinformed you are. I mean every post of yours is like this.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic