• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2021

George BM

We got two more inches of rain down here today, from a JULY COLD FRONT!. We are not supposed to get cold fronts down here in July! We have had 32.3 inches of rain so far this year. We are above average for this region and especially for our summer climatology. Temps have been milder than usual too, only in the low 90s with dewpoints averaging in the mid to upper 70s. The garden is really growing, some of my cucumber vines are growing 3 inches a day!

This is turning into a very very unusually WET summer for central Texas!

16 hours ago, mattie g said:

No more B meets for us. We start the season with a B meet and end with an A meet.

We host divisionals this Saturday, which is going to be a show. I'm taking the day off on Friday to watch the girls while the wife gets ready for concessions...

Dude. Dude dude. 

Our B meet last night was a joke. Didn’t finish until 9:30. Coaches were pissed. Team reps were pissed. Lots of just tired and frustrated volunteers. Tons of bratty kids being loud. Lots of rude ass parents complaining about everything.

My voice is shot from having to yell and speak over the noise.

Never again do I want to do that type of meet. Now I have to nurse my vocal chords because I will be working the Divisionals 

Im supposed to be retired. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

Dude. Dude dude. 

Our B meet last night was a joke. Didn’t finish until 9:30. Coaches were pissed. Team reps were pissed. Lots of just tired and frustrated volunteers. Tons of bratty kids being loud. Lots of rude ass parents complaining about everything.

My voice is shot from having to yell and speak over the noise.

Never again do I want to do that type of meet. Now I have to nurse my vocal chords because I will be working the Divisionals 

Im supposed to be retired. Lol 

That sounds awful. 9:30 is just too much. And it sounds like what some of the volunteers went through in our final B meet.

I didn't realize how intense the summer swim season could be until this year. Practice every morning (which is another practice on top of year-round swim for some kids); meets on Saturday morning, then on and Monday evening; a couple Wednesday-evening meets near the end of the season; then finishing up with Divisionals (and All-Stars). It's a LOT to cram into a less than two months, and by the end the kids and parents are both worn out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

That sounds awful. 9:30 is just too much. And it sounds like what some of the volunteers went through in our final B meet.

I didn't realize how intense the summer swim season could be until this year. Practice every morning (which is another practice on top of year-round swim for some kids); meets on Saturday morning, then on and Monday evening; a couple Wednesday-evening meets near the end of the season; then finishing up with Divisionals (and All-Stars). It's a LOT to cram into a less than two months, and by the end the kids and parents are both worn out.

Sounds like when son played travel hockey (Roanoke). It was a 55-60 minute drive TO the practice, which  was 3 days a week, then games every weekend alternating between home (an hour away for us) and away. But it WAS travel, teams were in Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Richmond and Winston-Salem. The BEST one was the two years ATLANTA (Gwinnett)  joined the league!! It basically was minor league hockey minus the pay for the players or the bus lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quixotic1 said:

Congrats!  Make sure you invite a certain diabetic nimrod from Michigan to the party.

seriously congrats. I am big time Jelly. I have about another 8 years at least.

Thank you!  I won’t bother inviting an alpha to a beta retirement party. He has sushi to fillet. 

8 years will get done and then you can enjoy the high life. I’m super lucky to be able to and wish everyone could. 

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’ve finally got around to working on the control panel for the new electric brewery here at the house. Still a long way to go but making progress.

image.jpeg.f4f3422448707303c51fa1ae407be99f.jpeg

image.jpeg.de11ffd384bf98c1a4c341bfecfe631d.jpeg

image.jpeg.fb42612d0afe15759bbef7904aba8d8f.jpeg

image.jpeg.3bcd280e080c1e118510561c98777a5e.jpeg

image.jpeg.e9a45ed106146cdc3ca9e6e0c21d4e62.jpeg

image.jpeg.a3e50d19ccd9428aea67e1f35185124e.jpeg

Sweet. Process control + beer is hard to beat in my book. Looks like you are doing PID control?

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yep.  PID's for the hot liquor tank and mash tun.  Don't ask me anything technical.  I'm just following instructions.

Dude we need a thread. I want details of your setup. Pictures. Diagrams of the control circuit. Using heating coils and recirc to control mash temp? Pt-100 or thermocouple? Tuning PID loops is fun stuff, I can help you. :D

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Dude we need a thread. I want details of your setup. Pictures. Diagrams of the control circuit. Using heating coils and recirc to control mash temp? Pt-100 or thermocouple? Tuning PID loops is fun stuff, I can help you. :D

How about I bring down to the shore and you wire it! :lol:

I’ll post pics of the tank setup. Basically three 20 gallon tanks, one HLT, mash tun, and boil kettle. HLT controls mash temp.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Is this a packaged(matched) system or are you adding controls to your existing set-up?

Completely new. I still have the five gallon system but this will allow me to do 10 or even 15 gallon batches. All of this started because I got a great deal on three 20 gallon Blichman kettles. Then I thought, “Well, if you’re going to have these, then you’re going to need…”

Of course by the time I’m done, I’ll probably have spent a small fortune, but that’s what hobbies are for. Besides, I’ve had a part time job in addition to my “real” job all my life, so I’m not going to feel bad about tossing money around.

By the way, it was @losetoa6 that put in the 240, 30 amp breaker for me in the garage. I did the grunt wiring but I don’t play with electrical panels.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic