Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This huge professional thing I've been working on for months is almost at its conclusion and I have no idea how it'll shake out. It can really go either way. 

You've got this friend!

If it makes you feel any better, I have been tasked with running a training session on a new GIS software program, to every single GIS user in my company. So my anxiety is already through the roof and its still months away hahahaha

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We're hosting our division's IM Carnival this evening, but my older daughter isn't swimming tonight. Of course, the wife is running concessions and we're looking at some storms that could delay the meet.

Too bad, so sad, mrs g...

I'm so glad we don't do those.  We just cram in IMs in the B meets.  Which in itself is prolonging death.  Hope it rains for you tho.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

You've got this friend!

If it makes you feel any better, I have been tasked with running a training session on a new GIS software program, to every single GIS user in my company. So my anxiety is already through the roof and its still months away hahahaha

Don't worry about it at all.  You got this and will effing crush it.  I just know it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

You've got this friend!

I actually like doing trainings, but I'm married to a woman who knows her sh*t in and out but still freaks out when she has to present/train, so I can imagine what you're feeling already. You'll be fine!

But at least you're "laughing" about it now!

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

Don't worry about it at all.  You got this and will effing crush it.  I just know it.  

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I actually like doing trainings, but I'm married to a woman who knows her sh*t in and out but still freaks out when she has to present/train, so I can imagine what you're feeling already. You'll be fine!

But at least you're "laughing" about it now!

Thank you both. It's not the subject matter that is the problem, I could teach someone GIS easily if they were sitting next to me. Its my anxiety. Public speaking as never been my thing (despite my love for talking lol). I am just a completely different person when talking to large groups of people, and even though the training will be virtual, I am still mentally freaking out already.

Not to mention, I have to give another presentation next month at another GIS conference... so its just a lot for me to mentally prepare myself for. 

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

Thank you both. It's not the subject matter that is the problem, I could teach someone GIS easily if they were sitting next to me. Its my anxiety. Public speaking as never been my thing (despite my love for talking lol). I am just a completely different person when talking to large groups of people, and even though the training will be virtual, I am still mentally freaking out already.

Not to mention, I have to give another presentation next month at another GIS conference... so its just a lot for me to mentally prepare myself for. 

I hate presenting to adults, but if I have to, I try to prepare activities to take focus off of me.

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I hate presenting to adults, but if I have to, I try to prepare activities to take focus off of me.

I just hate it in general, despite knowing the topic so well. But its a huge opportunity for me professionally, both the training and the other presentation. So I'm trying to view it as a positive and not freak out so much. 

Will I still feel that way come both dates? Probably not, but I am trying! :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Anxiety is a nasty beast. Have fought my own battle with it over the years. Not being able to get outside your own head is the worst. From one to another give yourself a good breathing and grounding session. Hugs:wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Anxiety is a nasty beast. Have fought my own battle with it over the years. Not being able to get outside your own head is the worst. From one to another give yourself a good breathing and grounding session. Hugs:wub:

I totally agree.  I personally don't have an issue with anxiety, but my wife and son both do.  Unless you see it in action and how it shuts a perfectly functional human being down, you can't comprehend what it can do.  I agree that breathing strategies are good to help bring someone out of the anxious state.  My son also was given a strategy to go to his happy place by think about the things which take him there.  That strategy was really good when he was younger. 

@mappy - Know that all of us have your back and know that you will knock those presentations out of the park!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

:wub:

Just now, toolsheds said:

I totally agree.  I personally don't have an issue with anxiety, but my wife and son both do.  Unless you see it in action and how it shuts a perfectly functional human being down, you can't comprehend what it can do.  I agree that breathing strategies are good to help bring someone out of the anxious state.  My son also was given a strategy to go to his happy place by think about the things which take him there.  That strategy was really good when he was younger. 

@mappy - Know that all of us have your back and know that you will knock those presentations out of the park!

Thank you so much! The support is appreciated! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

We're hosting our division's IM Carnival this evening, but my older daughter isn't swimming tonight. Of course, the wife is running concessions and we're looking at some storms that could delay the meet.

Too bad, so sad, mrs g...

Had my IM tough meet on Monday, it was ok and I got third in my age group but my turns were not ideal at best. Would of rather had some storms but you get what you get.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mappy said:

Believe it or not, some of us teachers suffer from the same thing. I know I don’t like it when I start feeling that I, instead of the topic at hand, have become the focus of attention. I do have one too that might help. Ask a question if the group. Early. Maybe make them write out a question or two to pose to the group. Do something that takes the focus off of you and places it squarely on the topic. Pretty soon you find yourself in a conversation that seems normal to you and you forget all about the fact that it is you delivering the knowledge.

Hope it goes well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mappy said:

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I just hate it in general, despite knowing the topic so well. But its a huge opportunity for me professionally, both the training and the other presentation. So I'm trying to view it as a positive and not freak out so much. 

Will I still feel that way come both dates? Probably not, but I am trying! :lol: 

I REALLY do not do well in front of large groups. 4-6 people I can deal, 20,30, 40? forget about it! :wacko:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Believe it or not, some of us teachers suffer from the same thing. I know I don’t like it when I start feeling that I, instead of the topic at hand, have become the focus of attention. I do have one too that might help. Ask a question if the group. Early. Maybe make them write out a question or two to pose to the group. Do something that takes the focus off of you and places it squarely on the topic. Pretty soon you find yourself in a conversation that seems normal to you and you forget all about the fact that it is you delivering the knowledge.

Hope it goes well.

My wife is a teacher, which is not a great profession for anxiety.  She is a catholic school teacher and was in the classroom for the entire year teaching virtual and in person students.  this only added to the pressure to perform.  She handled it well, but IMHO she doesn't get paid  1/4 of what she should for the time she puts in, not only during the school year, but also over the summer preparing for the next year.   @WinterWxLuvr,  I'm sure you feel the same way. 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic