Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2021

George BM

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

You need to show up more often.

It was an odd one, but we have seen worse.

Been crazy busy. I’m helping manage 162 summer programs sites across Baltimore. It’s been non stop 80 hours a week since March. I have to survive 4 more weeks then I have a life again. 

• Like 7

My Davis wx station ate up a battery, so I opened it up and found not just an ant farm, but a little wasp nest for extra measure. (Have had the ant situation before). Gonna try to upload some pics....

Looks like it worked. I used some borax based powder to prevent further attacks. 

This unit might be 12-15 years old, not sure. Have had to replace the main board because the early versions had a problem with battery life, and I've noticed that ant nests seem to exacerbate the situation.

DavisAnts05-reduced.thumb.jpg.c9948127a4807d4eba0040f8b0b54ec3.jpgDavisAnts02-reduced.thumb.jpg.229a4105465980f5a90788d597811124.jpgDavisAnts01-reduced.thumb.jpg.1f2e9c3860ad4a07a31f8d75ca2e5a3b.jpg

4 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

My Davis wx station ate up a battery, so I opened it up and found not just an ant farm, but a little wasp nest for extra measure. (Have had the ant situation before). Gonna try to upload some pics....

Looks like it worked. I used some borax based powder to prevent further attacks. 

This unit might be 12-15 years old, not sure. Have had to replace the main board because the early versions had a problem with battery life, and I've noticed that ant nests seem to exacerbate the situation.

DavisAnts05-reduced.thumb.jpg.c9948127a4807d4eba0040f8b0b54ec3.jpgDavisAnts02-reduced.thumb.jpg.229a4105465980f5a90788d597811124.jpgDavisAnts01-reduced.thumb.jpg.1f2e9c3860ad4a07a31f8d75ca2e5a3b.jpg

At first glance I thought this was a picture of a toilet and I was like, “What the …”

Glad to hear that you got the station fixed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, H2O said:

we didn't get done until 9:30.  I'm def dead

Ouch. It was much worse at ours than expected. The pool is in a lower-lying area, so there was absolutely zero air movement.

We left at 8:45. They were just starting IM, which last on the sheet. Thank God the little one fell asleep in the car on the way there - she would have been a disaster otherwise.

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Ouch. It was much worse at ours than expected. The pool is in a lower-lying area, so there was absolutely zero air movement.

We left at 8:45. They were just starting IM, which last on the sheet. Thank God the little one fell asleep in the car on the way there - she would have been a disaster otherwise.

Took over an hour to do free.  We had an occasional breeze but we also were in a low lying area that had a trunk sewer line running along the creek.  So the occasional whiff was pungent.  

The ONLY redeeming value from the meet was.....adult gatorade for timers.  The host pool had margaritas in a jug.  Oh man.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, MN Transplant said:

Feels like this should be a bigger story (from yesterday, they are making a run again today)

There is probably some potential maximum that is right around the 130 mark... so its cool to be able to observe it!

if they had those sensors peppered throughout that region for the last several hundred years I am sure that they would have seen regular 130 readings.  

I guess also with sunspot activity, that max might fluctuate.

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

Took over an hour to do free.  We had an occasional breeze but we also were in a low lying area that had a trunk sewer line running along the creek.  So the occasional whiff was pungent.  

The ONLY redeeming value from the meet was.....adult gatorade for timers.  The host pool had margaritas in a jug.  Oh man.  

Does that mean that any PRs from last night have an asterisk like those wind aided times in track and field? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

2 more mid shifts and 45 minutes stand between me and a 4 day birthday weekend. I am so excited.....and tired :stun:

Good morning and H. B., MW. May your professional love affair, with the atmosphere, continue for as many decades as possible. As always …..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, H2O said:

Yeah...free took an eternity, and the six heats of kickboards before that didn't help. And then we had some swimmers swim three individual heats because we were apparently trying to get them some team yards records, but we didn't coordinate with the hosts on that. Yeah...that didn't go over well.

"Adult gatorade" is a brilliant idea. Filing that one away for next season...

On 7/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, GramaxRefugee said:

HATE Ant swarms!!!!!! My fix below!

burn.webp

• Like 2

In south central Texas, where I've now been living for nearly 3 years, it is usually very hot and humid but dry at this time of year.

But this spring/summer down here has been anything but normal for us. Lawns are green.Usually they are brown and temps are routinely in the lower 100s. We have been in the upper 80s/lower 90s with mid 70s/upper 70s dewpoints and today we got smashed by a seabreeze storm, winds gusted to 55 mph, a branch got broke and I had to saw it up, by hand. The lawn is out of control and my mower is broken. This reminds me so much of northern Virginia that is is surreal.

FXUS64 KEWX 131923
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
223 PM CDT Tue Jul 13 2021

.SHORT TERM (Today through Wednesday)...
Texas is under a col in the upper pattern with ridging to the east
and west and a trough to the north. This weakness has allowed
convection to develop on the seabreeze which is moving northward
toward I-10. A line of thunderstorms extends from near Castroville
to near Halletsville. This activity will continue to move toward the
north through the rest of the afternoon and more storms could
develop behind this line. There could be brief heavy rain and winds
could gust up to 40 mph. We don`t expect much change tonight.
Convection should die off quickly with the loss of daytime heating.
Clouds will move back in overnight for another warm night. Wednesday
will be very much like today. Convection will develop along the
seabreeze and move into our CWA during the afternoon. Convection
will be confined to the eastern half of the area where moisture will
be deepest. Brief heavy rain and gusty winds will be possible.
Storms will dissipate after sunset. Cloudy skies will keep
temperatures warm again.

&&

.LONG TERM (Wednesday Night through Monday)...
The pattern to start the long term does not change much from the
short term. South Central Texas will be stuck between the high that
is keeping the Western US in furnace like conditions and a weak high
pressure over the Eastern Gulf and Western Atlantic. This will
continue the low rain chances across areas along and east of
Interstate 35 each afternoon as the Gulf Moisture rich air interacts
with the sun and the seabreeze. Scattered showers and thunderstorms,
some producing a brief heavy downpour or gusty wind up to 50 mph will
continue to be possible each afternoon. Afternoon highs will be kept
in the low 90s across much of the area, including the I-35 corridor,
resulting in temperatures below seasonal normals. The exception will
be across the Rio Grande Plains where afternoon highs will climb into
the mid to upper 90s.

A pattern change comes towards the end of the long term period as an
upper trough digs across the Central and Eastern United States. Model
solutions differ at this point with the GFS and Canadian cutting off
a low pressure system across Oklahoma beyond the long term into the
middle of next week. In response to the upper trough models are
trying to bring yet another summer boundary down into Texas. The
Canadian is most bullish with the front at this point along wit the
ECMWF, while the GFS hangs it up north. Regardless of the exact
evolution it looks like for Monday and into next week the pattern
returns to a wetter one!

You gotta be kiddin' me! We are having a hard time keeping up with this May-like pattern this "summer"! My garden has gone completely nonlinear, the cucumber vines are 13 feet long and I have more herbs than ever! The mint herbs are taking over! The cucumber vines are beginning to climb up to the roof! The lawn is already over a foot high in places!

IN MID-JULY!

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic