Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter 2021

George BM

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Hot and muggy.  There was a point early on when I got a whiff of this one somewhat larger dude and wished there was a breeze.  There was none.

The one we were at was small as well.  Tiny and no shade until after 7.  We got done in just around two hours so wasn't bad.  The usual DQs in the little kid events but meet ran well.  Kids were loud which made it tough to hear and talk to other parents/officials at times.

We got second as well.  Tied for it actually.  Was surprised as well and happy cause we didn't get many 1sts.  2-4ths I guess carried us.  

Yeah...it was bad, but still pretty fun for my first relay carnival. My girl's 100 free team shaved 14 seconds off their best (finished a close second), which was the highlight of our night. :lol: 

There was one guy sitting in front of us who was drinking beers and going on and on about his son's 13-14 "dream team." I mean it was incessant. Sure, they were really good, but how f'ing obnoxious can one human being be? I was honestly a couple minutes from telling him to pipe the F down - and not saying it nicely.

Ours went until about 8:45, so a little over two hours. We're pretty strong in a few areas, so we won our share of events, which helped offset the ones in which we didn't swim.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Yeah...it was bad, but still pretty fun for my first relay carnival. My girl's 100 free team shaved 14 seconds off their best (finished a close second), which was the highlight of our night. :lol: 

There was one guy sitting in front of us who was drinking beers and going on and on about his son's 13-14 "dream team." I mean it was incessant. Sure, they were really good, but how f'ing obnoxious can one human being be? I was honestly a couple minutes from telling him to pipe the F down - and not saying it nicely.

Ours went until about 8:45, so a little over two hours. We're pretty strong in a few areas, so we won our share of events, which helped offset the ones in which we didn't swim.

The one drawback I still have of being a meet official is that I can't really focus on my kids and watch them.  I have to wait until after to find out how they did.  Last night my daughter dropped a second in her fly leg of her relay and she was THRILLED!!!  I can't enjoy that until the meet is done and want to cheer for her during the meet.

Funny story.  So two weeks ago at our B meet that was also hot I was doing assist chief timer due to being away at another pool.  Well its winding down and we are in the IMs part.  My oldest daughter is actually in the lane nearest to where I was doing my job.  She's doing the IM and I see her starting to lag a little.  So I broke form and went dad mode.  Yelled loudly some encouragement.  All of a sudden she kicked into high gear and rallied.  After she got out she came to me and said "dad, I HEARD you!!!" And she said it helped.  Thats what I wish I could do more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, H2O said:

I will miss being protected.  And scared to post my beer choices out of fear of being called a douche....again.

Nah. You're perfectly safe posting any beer choices you please.

I'd use extreme caution when posting your preferred Weenie-Os choices though. ;)

53 minutes ago, H2O said:

The one drawback I still have of being a meet official is that I can't really focus on my kids and watch them.  I have to wait until after to find out how they did.  Last night my daughter dropped a second in her fly leg of her relay and she was THRILLED!!!  I can't enjoy that until the meet is done and want to cheer for her during the meet.

Funny story.  So two weeks ago at our B meet that was also hot I was doing assist chief timer due to being away at another pool.  Well its winding down and we are in the IMs part.  My oldest daughter is actually in the lane nearest to where I was doing my job.  She's doing the IM and I see her starting to lag a little.  So I broke form and went dad mode.  Yelled loudly some encouragement.  All of a sudden she kicked into high gear and rallied.  After she got out she came to me and said "dad, I HEARD you!!!" And she said it helped.  Thats what I wish I could do more.

Yeah...that would be the rough thing about being involved at the official level. I used to be a timer when the older one was only a 6-year-old and wasn't swimming A Meets, so that wasn't an issue, but I'd have a hard time with her now swimming in each meet.

Congrats to your girl on knocking it out on the fly! I absolutely love the story of how your encouragement (if "unprofessional") helped out your older one. If I saw my girl struggling a little, I'd hope that if she heard the same encouragement from the wife or I that she'd also do the same!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

h20 should be estopped from posting such pics in the future as he is old now and has to eat early bird and make it mostly soft foods - porridges and the like. Maybe mashed potatos. 

Hotdog jello molds are soft and squishy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

h20 should be estopped from posting such pics in the future as he is old now and has to eat early bird and make it mostly soft foods - porridges and the like. Maybe mashed potatos. 

I have all kinds of creamed corn ready to go.  

I am looking at this and waiting for the pivot.... We have lost some sun angle and I'm not sure if there is enough hot air damning to create the instability necessary for heavy banding. Also concerned about ground temps. The last 24 hours have allowed the ground to cool. Fortunately we have daylight savings time on our side. That said, I see some back building on the radar. In the end.. I knew I shouldn't have watered the lawn and sharpened the blades on my lawnmower in advance of this storm. Please accept my apology... thanks in advance.

image.png.a53e4eac8f34f62441f0a7cee2ef94bf.png

• Haha 1

Found out one of my softball teammates is a guest reader here after I commented about a nearby storm. We had a good laugh and talked weather during a lightning 30 min wait before the game eventually was called. 

J if you’re reading, hi! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic