• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

Nothing much to report from my house. Lots of rain but that was expected. I hope people that are new to Florida don’t disregard any future warnings when a system comes in. They are all dangerous and unpredictable. We just got lucky this one succumbed to shear. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The region and Tampa proper appear to have gotten through with less impact relative to potential outcomes.  Onshore flow will continue thru 1230 high tide, but surge looks like 2-3ft near downtown.  An early start to what could be a long and interesting tropical season.

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

I wouldn't be surprised if wind gust end up higher for eastern NC than they were for most of the Florida coast

Yeah might get some gust into the low 40's certainly nothing to extreme...nice that it seems to peak between 4-9 tomorrow afternoon and not 12-4 am like usual. 

I intercepted the NE eyewall (so to speak, if not technically accurate given it wasn’t a hurricane) at Horseshoe Beach, Fl.  The highest wind gust was recorded up to 71 mph, with the strongest winds surprisingly being in the SE quadrant of the storm...as the winds shifted to a direct onshore flow.  I chose to avoid the storm surge since I was driving my wife’s car and weren’t looking for a divorce. :)

Here’s a brief clip of what I observed during this particular event:

https://youtu.be/_oejAgsjAhM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ncforecaster89 said:

I intercepted the NE eyewall (so to speak, if not technically accurate given it wasn’t a hurricane) at Horseshoe Beach, Fl.  The highest wind gust was recorded up to 71 mph, with the strongest winds surprisingly being in the SE quadrant of the storm...as the winds shifted to a direct onshore flow.  I chose to avoid the storm surge since I was driving my wife’s car and weren’t looking for a divorce. :)

Here’s a brief clip of what I observed during this particular event:

https://youtu.be/_oejAgsjAhM

Watching that power line dance is a good reminder that it doesn't take a tree or big tree branch to cut off power.

It was a couple hours after Elsa passed here that our strongest winds and heaviest rain happened. I was asleep and missed it, but saw the records and stats. Maybe I should have gone to bed early and then woke up after it passed... ;)

Of course here on the coast onshore winds typically have bigger impacts than offshore winds even in a hurricane.

• Like 1

Weird little storm, but then again it’s not everyday you see an early July MDR wave develop and run from the west coast of Florida to New England.
On to the next one.
Rare that it survived the Caribbean as a classified tropical storm this time of year. Rare it reached hurricane intensity more than once while surviving land interaction this time of year. It's also worth reiterating how damn crazy Hurricane Dennis was in 2005, which reached Cat 4 intensity in the Caribbean and made landfall as a Category 3 in the Florida Panhandle sixteen years ago today.
  • Like 2