Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

3 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Radar loop makes it look like it's heading directly for a Tampa Bay landfall. 

Looks like a direct hit or just offshore.

I heard BayNews9 in the background and they appeared to downplay it. Hope they are right.

But no matter what, will be one to remember for sure.

2020 - Ends with Eta in Tampa Bay.

2021 - Begins with Elsa in Tampa Bay.

What other populated area ended a year and began one with the same letter?

"E" is one for Tampa Bay.

11 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I heard BayNews9 in the background and they appeared to downplay it. Hope they are right.

On interesting note. Tampa is named after old Native American dialect. 

Tampa is derived from the Pohoy and Tocobaga native indian culture... Meaning sticks of fire.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

If I was in the Tampa area I’d expect gusts of around 60. On the water front gusts should be 70, maybe a few hurricane force gusts. Certainly a bad wind direction for surge issues, I can understand the 3-5’ surge forecasts 

Outside of maybe the wind gust, could being closer to the center vs further to the East actually be a bit of a break for the TB area? Seems most of the strongest storms are further east 

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Today is my birthday, 61 years old. I've been in hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, hail storms, dust storms, everything but a tornado (even though close).

I've loved storms since my first taste of a hurricane in 1967 (I think) in Charleston SC. Always wanted to grow up and be a met, but started being an IT/computer guy in '78 soon as I left high school.

Tonight might be my most intense night ever, yet have thought that many times and storms do fizzle out. Hopefully Elsa fizzles out and we'll still have some fun.

Happy birthday.  I’m in Tampa and while I lived in Miami during Andrew, I was well North of its major impacts.  This may be a repeat of the intensity I experienced back then.  I can tell you with all candor that I don’t want to ever relive a close call with cane strength winds as much as I’m fascinated by them.  Hoping for a further shift West. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

Happy birthday.  I’m in Tampa and while I lived in Miami during Andrew, I was well North of its major impacts.  This may be a repeat of the intensity I experienced back then.  I can tell you with all candor that I don’t want to ever relive a close call with cane strength winds as much as I’m fascinated by them.  Hoping for a further shift West. 

Funny I was in Andrew also before moving to Tampa.

On a side note looks like NOAA has Elsa AF302 on its way in. I will be surprised if they don't find Hurricane force winds. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dbullsfan22 said:

Outside of maybe the wind gust, could being closer to the center vs further to the East actually be a bit of a break for the TB area? Seems most of the strongest storms are further east 

Unfortunately the strongest winds in this one are north in those two heavy bands around center and over water. 70 mph sustained and that’s going to hit Pinellas county and Tampa.  Good news is it will be a East and SE direction so flooding less an issue but I see power outages and some damage a certainty. Dark night is coming. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Prospero said:

These are my during/after Eta pics.  Surge just under 4 ft, and Elsa will be higher and on top of high tide.

A4E864A4-E1E6-495A-B05F-7F3FC845DBC3.jpeg

2BEA1478-FEB8-4799-9A20-830C9A50F291.jpeg

• Like 2

Let the hallucinations commence! Seriously though, it's going to be a real close call for Tampa proper, saint Petersburg/Clearwater will bear the brunt of the wind I think. Max surge is just about locked in for the bay. Hard to believe the worst is still hours away for Tampa, as close as it appears

• Like 1

Hurricane screens are down.  Generator is ready to go.  near the Thonotosassa area, East Hillsborough, about a mile north of I-4.   No rain yet.

We're gonna find out how a travel trailer camper does in the driveway.  Fresh water tanks are full, adds about 600lbs

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CampergirlFL said:

Hurricane screens are down.  Generator is ready to go.  near the Thonotosassa area, East Hillsborough, about a mile north of I-4.   No rain yet.

We're gonna find out how a travel trailer camper does in the driveway.  Fresh water tanks are full, adds about 600lbs

Good luck.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Happy birthday @Prospero! Wish you many more! 

I arrived in Clearwater a few hours ago. Best of luck tonight to everyone in the Tampa area. 

aOct9Zn.jpg

Welcome to Pinellas County, FL! Enjoy your stay! The best to place to be (or NOT to be) for Elsa.

If the power is on tomorrow, we have great food and fun down here!

Come visit Gulfport, not too far and BayNews9 is already here because our cool little town floods in every storm. Not a good thing, but we are kind if used to it.  ;)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, FLweather said:

All along the I4 corridor. Down to south FL... Along and east of US 17&27 to 95 could be getting rough here in the next several hours stretching early morning hours

I’m north of you near Deland. Feeling like we are going to be getting more than just a glancing blow. 

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

Today is my birthday, 61 years old. I've been in hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, hail storms, dust storms, everything but a tornado (even though close).

I've loved storms since my first taste of a hurricane in 1967 (I think) in Charleston SC. Always wanted to grow up and be a met, but started being an IT/computer guy in '78 soon as I left high school.

Tonight might be my most intense night ever, yet have thought that many times and storms do fizzle out. Hopefully Elsa fizzles out and we'll still have some fun.

Happy birthday, thanks for all of the posts on the form and good luck with the storm.

• Like 2