• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

A band is coming through SE FL now. heavy rain but absolutely zero wind. 

Overall Elsa has been extremely underwhelming here. Plenty of sea breeze storms have had a much bigger impact than this. 

I guess all eyes on Tampa, to see if it floods the bay there. Probably not, it’s not that big of a storm, but we’ll see

• Weenie 3

25 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

Overall Elsa has been extremely underwhelming here. Plenty of sea breeze storms have had a much bigger impact than this. 

I guess all eyes on Tampa, to see if it floods the bay there. Probably not, it’s not that big of a storm, but we’ll see

Wut 

Tampa has widespread street flooding with heavy PM thunderstorms.

Elsa close to or at Cat 1 and with this trajectory will bring a surge on top of flooding from heavy rainfall.

32 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

this is exactly what was forecast for SE Florida 

good job by NWS 

• Like 1

For those in Tampa who’ve been clamoring for a hurricane on here, you’re going to get your wish. Looks like Tampa is going to get the brunt and it should be fairly long duration judging by angle of approach and the orientation of the worst weather. Obviously just a strong ts/weak hurricane, but always newsworthy when impacting a major metro area

• Like 1

Just had our second wave of rain. Another 41 mph gust but lasted a full moment. In spite of my initial "potted plant" placement this morning, a few short annuals I thought were way too heavy to fall off a small block wall came down. Oops. Now I am out doing more prep outside.

My wife went through Andrew where their second story condo was impossible to get out of in the morning due to gravel and landscaping rocks building a drift in front of the outside door. The condo building was destroyed and they moved to Orlando to start a new life.

Yea, we are in for a white-knuckle ride for tonight. Power is almost definite to go out. I didn't put up plywood on the windows (what a pain in the butt), hoping that was not a huge error. 

Maybe watching a few of these storm forums where most people say, "Elsa is dead," or "What a waste of time watching" has some risk!

I'm home now for the night. Will be online as long as power is on. :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

Just had our second wave of rain. Another 41 mph gust but lasted a full moment. In spite of my initial "potted plant" placement this morning, a few short annuals I thought were way too heavy to fall off a small block wall came down. Oops. Now I am out doing more prep outside.

My wife went through Andrew where their second story condo was impossible to get out of in the morning due to gravel and landscaping rocks building a drift in front of the outside door. The condo building was destroyed and they moved to Orlando to start a new life.

Yea, we are in for a white-knuckle ride for tonight. Power is almost definite to go out. I didn't put up plywood on the windows (what a pain in the butt), hoping that was not a huge error. 

Maybe watching a few of these storm forums where most people say, "Elsa is dead," or "What a waste of time watching" has some risk!

You look to be in an excellent spot for some storm watching on this one. Stay safe and I hope your power stays on. Get some videos for us

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

You look to be in an excellent spot for some storm watching on this one. Stay safe and I hope your power stays on. Get some videos for us

Our front yard cam:

http://007computer.com/camera-1.html

It is on 49th Street S. a few blocks from Boca Ciega Bay in Gulfport, FL. I see my backyard Bird Cam is down right now, but will bring it up. Not sure why it went down at the moment.

I do have a cam on Clearwater Beach on Surfside Condos for my client:

https://beachresortcondos.com/clearwater-beach-live-webcam.html

The beach cam will be the one to see when it gets light tomorrow morning if it is still online to see any surge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Prospero said:

If you don’t mind it would be nice if you could video or maybe take pictures of the storm while the storm really gets going and then post them here, it’s always interesting to see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

If you don’t mind it would be nice if you could video or maybe take pictures of the storm while the storm really gets going and then post them here, it’s always interesting to see.

Few of us here in Tampa Bay who post. Count on live video, reports, and photos.

Wish us luck, and we'll wish to give good reports.

Hate to even say it right now, but in Elsa's words, "Let the storm rage on!"

12 minutes ago, Dbullsfan22 said:

Sad thing is, nobody here is taking this any seriously at all because it isn’t raining at the moment. Gonna be some surprised people later tonight when they lose power 

I'm the "Chicken Little" in my circle of family and friends, but tonight the "Sky might be falling!"

Today is my birthday, 61 years old. I've been in hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, hail storms, dust storms, everything but a tornado (even though close).

I've loved storms since my first taste of a hurricane in 1967 (I think) in Charleston SC. Always wanted to grow up and be a met, but started being an IT/computer guy in '78 soon as I left high school.

Tonight might be my most intense night ever, yet have thought that many times and storms do fizzle out. Hopefully Elsa fizzles out and we'll still have some fun.

• Like 5

Charleston SC nws believes only beach areas will see any tropical force winds / gusts and have chosen to not issue any tropical storm watches for any inland counties they cover.

How can you designate a storm a tropical storm and not believe it even has winds of 39mph with it?  I understand it will be asymmetrical but surely local (Charleston) Mets follow the lead of the NHC?

19 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Today is my birthday, 61 years old. I've been in hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, hail storms, dust storms, everything but a tornado (even though close).

I've loved storms since my first taste of a hurricane in 1967 (I think) in Charleston SC. Always wanted to grow up and be a met, but started being an IT/computer guy in '78 soon as I left high school.

Tonight might be my most intense night ever, yet have thought that many times and storms do fizzle out. Hopefully Elsa fizzles out and we'll still have some fun.

Happy bday! Enjoy it

• Like 1