Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Elsa

WxWatcher007

9 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

The shear vector, I.e. the jet stream, could push Elsa well east of track and slow it down.

That plus the effect of weather enthusiasts on the entire Florida peninsula praying for it to go east of track.

Well that's what I thought too from your last post.

The jet stream has done capture this.

GFS might be too far west but the possibility of the weaker further east Canadian may be a outlier too.

We are having terrible red tide in Tampa Bay.  It's really widespread....I've seen tons of dead fish at downtown St. Pete, Indian Rocks Beach, Tierra Verde and in the upper bay near Tampa.  If we get a storm surge here it could flush the bay and in theory this may help with the red tide.

Looking at WV.

Clouds are heading due north of the center.

I'd say all forward motion to NW is done and over with.

Elsa should start turning NE overnight.

With the jet to the north helping with the outflow.  Decent outflow to the south. I'd expect Elsa to strengthen tonight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Looking at WV.

Clouds are heading due north of the center.

I'd say all forward motion to NW is done and over with.

Elsa should start turning NE overnight.

With the jet to the north helping with the outflow.  Decent outflow to the south. I'd expect Elsa to strengthen tonight.

That would be quite the deviation from the incredibly tight model consensus. Is this wishcasting or an actual possibility?

05L_tracks_latest.png

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Verbatim this would be a fairly impactful storm for the Tampa bay metro area given the angle of approach, long fetch, and remaining in the strongest bands on the eastern side of the system for a long time. I could see some decent surge values and extended period of 50-70 mph gusts in this scenario, certainly nothing to scoff at for a major metro area

3B09DE35-A628-4B2B-B998-6D0E42ECE3D2.jpeg

Yeah it will absolutely be an impactful TS for the Tampa Bay area unless there is a major track shift.  

8 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

NHC 5 pm position solidly north and west of actual center. They’re just extrapolating in lieu of recon data... but yeah. 

0ADD1B2F-C78D-4695-8160-E91BBBCAC758.jpeg

You can see some rotation on the Key West radar. Maybe mid level circ?  I guess the LLC is at the point of the yellow. Screenshot_20210705-172743_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7ae94fc7937976a9043cd8183fde8eec.jpg

3 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

That would be quite the deviation from the incredibly tight model consensus. Is this wishcasting or an actual possibility?

05L_tracks_latest.png

Not wishcasting if you want to call it.

But per radar and satellite. Elsa has been going no where fast since 2pm.

Pretty solid trough axis setting up across central FL this evening.  Not your typical seabreeze and meso scale boundaries.

From Tampa to Orlando.

If it's going this slow over the Florida Straits things could get crazy fast, the Gulf Stream is nuclear hot right now. Intensity models / the NHC are underestimating it cause of the 'shear', but shear can help fuel rapid intensification in the right circumstances, like Hurricane Humberto in Texas many years ago. 

And yeah, all the convection is happening downshear in NE quad, dragging storm towards the NE. 

Key West better be taking this storm seriously. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

If it's going this slow over the Florida Straits things could get crazy fast, the Gulf Stream is nuclear hot right now. Intensity models / the NHC are underestimating it cause of the 'shear', but shear can help fuel rapid intensification in the right circumstances, like Hurricane Humberto in Texas many years ago. 

And yeah, all the convection is happening downshear in NE quad, dragging storm towards the NE. 

Curious on that jet stream interaction on this TS ? Not sure why WC wont mention it as a factor ? 

1 minute ago, turtlehurricane said:

That convection over the Orlando area crazy atm. Bad lightening and heavy rain and gusty.

It's lighting up. But I was sitting on the back porch. Almost looked like 830-9  pm.

And I smelled ozone. Been along time since I smelled ozone.

The impact and last day of the track is going to mirror ETA.   Unless of course it comes in stronger than ETA but right now looking pretty similar. There’s going to be a greater impact to south Florida though due to proximity as ETA came in from farther out.

ADAF4D55-E1EE-4E1D-8C7F-054511DA6F3F.png

C5C40ABB-0760-4FE9-ADB6-0280B93BD98A.jpeg

Just now, Double Action said:

The impact and track is going to mirror ETA.   Unless of course it comes in stronger than ETA but right now looking pretty similar.

ADAF4D55-E1EE-4E1D-8C7F-054511DA6F3F.png

C5C40ABB-0760-4FE9-ADB6-0280B93BD98A.jpeg

Heading to NY and New England subforums.  I live in Texas, go there only in the cold season usually, Hurricane Belle and the Blizzard of 78 made me the weenie I am today.  32813 Orlando, a whole year in the Navy, a hard freeze in December, March frost, lots of sea breeze collisions storms, nothing tropical.

Has anyone addressed what appears to be semi-linear low level features on the Western side.  I've seen arc clouds from dry air intrusions and cold outflow, these are actually triggering some sustaining storms. not sure I have ever seen an arc cloud from dry intrusion trigger sustaining convection.  Tropical Tidbit image

lowlevelElsaboundaries.PNG

45 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

No matter what happens I'll find an eye during the night time convection burst. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, FLweather said:

That convection over the Orlando area crazy atm. Bad lightening and heavy rain and gusty.

It's lighting up. But I was sitting on the back porch. Almost looked like 830-9  pm.

And I smelled ozone. Been along time since I smelled ozone.

The line that came up and through Treasure Coast and Over Lake O  was not any Seabreeze but maybe outflow from feeder band? Much more humid today than it has been all summer 

• Like 1

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Remember when watching radar tonight, the MLC and SLC were NOT aligned when the storm made landfall. I think what a lot of folks are seeing as the surface low is actually the mid level rotation, noted in just about every reconnaissance flight leading to landfall 

Yep, and the question will be will the two align enough overnight to allow for some modest intensification. I think the answer is no given the projected shear, but sometimes it’s helpful to shed a weak LLC over land to allow for some reformation near a more robust MLC. 

WTNT35 KNHC 052351
TCPAT5

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Elsa Intermediate Advisory Number 22A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052021
800 PM EDT Mon Jul 05 2021

...ELSA PASSING JUST EAST OF HAVANA CUBA WITH HEAVY RAINS...
...EXPECTED TO MOVE NEAR THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS ON TUESDAY...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.9N 81.9W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM E OF HAVANA CUBA
ABOUT 115 MI...185 KM S OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1008 MB...29.77 INCHES

DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
----------------------
At 800 PM EDT (0000 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Elsa was 
located by radars from Key West, Florida, and Havana, Cuba, near 
latitude 22.9 North, longitude 81.9 West.  Elsa is moving toward the 
northwest near 13 mph (20 km/h), and this general motion is expected 
to continue tonight, followed by a turn toward the north-northwest 
on Tuesday, and a turn toward the north on Tuesday night.  A 
north-northeastward motion is expected on Wednesday.  On the 
forecast track, Elsa should emerge off the coast western Cuba during 
the next hour or so, move into the Florida Straits this evening, and 
pass near the Florida Keys early Tuesday. Elsa is then forecast to 
move near or over portions of the west coast of Florida by late 
Tuesday and continuing into Wednesday.

Data from the NOAA Doppler weather radar in Key West indicate that 
maximum sustained winds are near 50 mph (85 km/h) with higher gusts 
over water. Some restrengthening is forecast after Elsa moves over 
the Straits of Florida tonight and over the Gulf of Mexico on 
Tuesday. An Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is en route 
to investigate Elsa once the storm moves back over water.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km), 
mainly north through northeast of the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1008 mb (29.77 inches).